Lets have real talk about audio interfaces

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

oh, we are going down a black hole now. I'm not about buying the most expensive audio interface on the planet just because its a known brand. how many transformers that thing have? :lol:

Lol - It's gorgeous; and the reviews point out certain issues, but I'd buy it for a grand!

OK, back on topic:

It looks like it's a buyer's market according to what I see on Amazon. I'd just go with whatever you choose - maybe just read through the feedback to see what others' have to say (Amazon seems not to referee with product feedback too much unlike a place like Sweetw*ter, as an example; which seems to say through their reviews that everything they sell is great/everyone is super-duper happy with their purchase....)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ya know, if it wasn't for the whole usb mess, we could get back to premium hifi audio. shame. https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-NS-10P- ... J4FFBH2ZMW

The zoom seems like the best option for now, but I just know if I keep looking something will pop up. I'm really liking the suggestions so far tonight. Imma hold off for a little while longer just to see what other people come up with.

Man, I can not believe the # of really-inexpensive audio equips these days. Compared to what I have seen in the past: a lot of it looks like a steal -

Zoom seems to have a pretty good name these days, Dasheesh. FWIW: When Ghost Hunters was a thing: their later audio recorders were Zoom.

hey golden, if you haven't tried these samson headphones yet. I recommend them. I hate to do it on the forum because I'm shure they will become impossible to find at the same price ever again (see what I did there?) anyhoo... these things were made by focal. they do have a little rattle in the upper and lower extremes... but by gawd they have the warmest and softest mids with supreme staging.

Zoom can and does build professional (F8n):

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-F8n-Multi-T ... multitrack

Here's an interesting read to go with it:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186654.0

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:40 am hey golden, if you haven't tried these samson headphones yet. I recommend them. I hate to do it on the forum because I'm shure they will become impossible to find at the same price ever again (see what I did there?) anyhoo... these things were made by focal. they do have a little rattle in the upper and lower extremes... but by gawd they have the warmest and softest mids with supreme staging.
Thanks! I need a new pair - the Sennheisers that I've been using for years don't even have any foam left on them lol

zoom is the only one I've seen taking advantage of USB 3 and there have been zero complaints after the initial release efforts. They seem to have in house drivers as well. Supposed to be sick low latency. I'm unsure what AD/DA converters they use but It's been what I keep coming back to. I just don't want to pop for it, have it discontinued, realize I got sold again, and then be in the same situation I'm in again... Gawd I miss echo.

goldenanalog wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:45 am
Thanks! I need a new pair - the Sennheisers that I've been using for years don't even have any foam left on them lol

yeah, they bumped the upper and lower extremes too hard, trying to keep it flat across the board cheaply (using eqing), so they get dirty at the edges, but you can not complain at that price. the ish sounds lovely through the majority of the spectrum, and super light weight. most folks go for the 850 opens, I like the 950 closed. They have a newer pair out that I haven't tried yet tho.

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:49 am zoom is the only one I've seen taking advantage of USB 3 and there have been zero complaints after the initial release efforts. They seem to have in house drivers as well. Supposed to be sick low latency. I'm unsure what AD/DA converters they use but It's been what I keep coming back to. I just don't want to pop for it, have it discontinued, realize I got sold again, and then be in the same situation I'm in again... Gawd I miss echo.
Well: I'd buy Apogee, Dasheesh. And some of their products are not really expensive. I don't know about latency, but this instills a little confidence:

https://www.apogeedigital.com/blog/ense ... te-latency

But: I'd still buy with the understanding that it's an experiment - I'd personally go with a refurb to try, and then flip it on ebay or reverb if it didn't work for me.

FYI Here's a review of one of their higher-end units ($2500) - it reads superb:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ap ... ny-io-mkii

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:53 am yeah, they bumped the upper and lower extremes too hard, trying to keep it flat across the board cheaply (using eqing), so they get dirty at the edges, but you can not complain at that price. the ish sounds lovely through the majority of the spectrum, and super light weight. most folks go for the 850 opens, I like the 950 closed. They have a newer pair out that I haven't tried yet tho.
Thanks for the rec - I'll definitely look into both of those models, Dasheesh!

yelp, i was playing around with my settings and got asio4all and my old
mackie unit down to 10 ms using 16/44.1 and 256 sample buffer. not bad i'd say. so, do i need to be recording in 24/48 and jacking my latency? kind of wondering if i have been using it wrong for years.

Could someone knowledgeable explain this whole latency thing.

I have always been happy with 10 ms, and yet people here are saying they need 2 - 4ms.

On a live stage musicians 3 meters apart experience 9 ms of delay.

Whats the truth about latency ?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”