What in your opinion is the best Analog-sounding synth freeware out there (apart from Tyrell6) ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Best analog sounding vst plugin ...?
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

Easy for me - VK-1 Viking. Honourable mention to Full Bucket emulations - FB-3x00 series and Mono/Fury.

Lokomotiv sounds great.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Aren't there some free reaktor blocks ensembles? Those.

full bucket audio is worth a look, I quite like Ragnarok

obxd, pg8x, charlatan, synth1, elektro, noisemaker, deducktion
Last edited by layzer on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Tal Noisemaker and Superwave P8

Genesis cm

Dune CM, Bazille CM, Zebra CM, Podolski, Zebralette.

tony10000 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 am Dune CM, Bazille CM, Zebra CM, Podolski, Zebralette.
I believe (just judging from the text) that the OP asked specifically for "analog-sounding" synth freeware. You listed fine synths but they aren't even trying to be "analog".

My picks:
KX77FREE's synths (steep learning curve but incredibly powerful designs with top class sound)
xhip
OBXd (not very versatile, but great, great sounding)

I use Tyrell over these currently for usability reasons, it's basically a commercial-level plugin with the usual U-he usability treats (it remembers MIDI bindings (super important for me), mousewheel and fine modifiers work on controls, neat modulation UX, alternative skins). Soundwise it's not 100% my favourite, and it's structure is in some ways a bit limited or quirky, but it's a polished tool.

Blaukraut Charlatan and TAL-Noisemaker.

Note that those and also Tyrell don't have the fastest envelopes. Also, what i never quite liked about Tyrell is that there's so much saturation in the filter. For creamy pads with a lot of resonance, it's definitely not my favorite.

If you want the sound of analog just buy real analog. It's never been more affordable. If you go down the software route you'll try everything out, spend shit loads of money and ultimately be disappointed.. and end up buying a real analog synth anyway. Plus, software always loses a lot of value - with hardware you'll get most of, if not all your money back if you ever want to sell.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:56 am If you want the sound of analog just buy real analog.
Surely the most relevant response in a freeware thread :D
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:59 am
do_androids_dream wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:56 am If you want the sound of analog just buy real analog.
Surely the most relevant response in a freeware thread :D
Hehe, well.. ultimately it may well be. Depends how much the OP wants the sound of 'real'.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

+1 for TAL Noiz3maker

Return to “Instruments”