u-he Twangström 1.0 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Don't know anything about BBE's actual circuitry, but when you drive a pure tank all you're left with is transformer saturation, which is not that spectacular. The surrounding parts then might matter, but it's then a design decision.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

So there's no disproportional building up of vibration at all with increasing stimulation by the transducer? And also the physical movement always stays exactly the same?

And if the spring is built into a combo amp that starts to vibrate more and more at higher gain (because the housing at some point starts to vibrate), does that not (potentially) start to shake the spring (even more) disproportionally? I would think that the actual construction, speaker-size, number of speakers etc. has potential to add specific non-linearity - is that not the case?

As I mentioned, I never analyzed it, so I'm just assuming here really, but I certainly would have the required gear to do so (standalone spring reverb, combos and rotary-amps)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:52 pm And if the spring is built into a combo amp that starts to vibrate more and more at higher gain (because the housing at some point starts to vibrate), does that not (potentially) start to shake the spring (even more) disproportionally?
Twangstrom is already super dynamic to the input signal, but if desired, it also lets you modulate the "shake" of the springs with an Env follower to get similar results.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jens wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:52 pm So there's no disproportional building up of vibration at all with increasing stimulation by the transducer? And also the physical movement always stays exactly the same?

And if the spring is built into a combo amp that starts to vibrate more and more at higher gain (because the housing at some point starts to vibrate), does that not (potentially) start to shake the spring (even more) disproportionally? I would think that the actual construction, speaker-size, number of speakers etc. has potential to add specific non-linearity - is that not the case?

As I mentioned, I never analyzed it, so I'm just assuming here really, but I certainly would have the required gear to do so (standalone spring reverb, combos and rotary-amps)
You can simulate this by modulating parameters with the envelope follower. If it doesn't happen in a combo amp, it can still happen in Twangström :clown:

(ah, Funkybot's Evil Twin beat me to it)

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jens wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:52 pm So there's no disproportional building up of vibration at all with increasing stimulation by the transducer? And also the physical movement always stays exactly the same?
Only tested my rackmount MasterRoom spring, but it's mostly (+- noise) Linear Time Invariant - fancy way of saying that they always behave the same(static). That being said, the beauty of digital is that you can go above and beyond, which makes it way more flexible. You don't want to saturate the transducer btw, sounds like crap.

Urs wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:00 pm

You can simulate this by modulating parameters with the envelope follower. If it doesn't happen in a combo amp, it can still happen in Twangström :clown:
Yes, I know and even though I love that you implemented that, I didn't really manage to get what I was after... (perhaps I should have tried longer/harder)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Thanks for the Infos either way, Guys! :tu:

Haven't gotten friendly with this one yet, the input knob affects output even if mix knob is set clean maybe thats whats confusing me a bit.

Well then, the soft-clip stage at the output is also affecting the dry signal... it's all by design.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

sascha wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:38 pm Well then, the soft-clip stage at the output is also affecting the dry signal... it's all by design.
I actually dug into the manual yesterday looking for a block diagram just to see how everything connected. Any chance of one being added at some point?

Could be, yes. Probably in the next update.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board

sascha wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:29 pm Could be, yes. Probably in the next update.
Just to add some context: the reason I was looking for a block diagram was to better understand the amp modulation. The effect seems very subtle. At first I thought I'd use it for tremolo effects, but that wasn't yeilding the desired results (LFO to input does great for that). The manual confirms that it's the level going into or out of the tank, which I guess means after the input and drive stages, but that's why I was looking for a diagram. As mentioned, once I figured this out, I realized for what I was trying to do (Fender type of tremolo plus reverb), modulating the input knob with the LFO then adding some drive did the trick.

Just an example of why a block diagram would be useful. Thanks! :tu:
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It would be instantly audible if you switch 'target' to post, wouldn't it? IMO reverb->tremolo makes more sense here, especially when the input signal is quite rhythmic and not steady.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board

Return to “Effects”