Filters of Mass Destruction - audio demos

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Alright, here's the new filter (codenamed Super Love Energy), showing off a crazy suboctave effect. https://hearthis.at/soundemote/fmd-supe ... ve-effect/

At the core of this filter is a triangle oscillator, which makes it quite unique. That doesn't mean it creates triangle shaped resonance. It just means the sound of the resonance tends toward having more bite/warmth, better for basses, less of a howling.

It's crazy how overdriven it sounds, as if it's going through a soft clipper, but as you can see, that overdriven sound is just multiple transients and resulting resonances. Remember that the initial signal is a plain sawtooth an octave higher... this is madness.

shout out to Sherman Filterbank

Ok, gotta post another demo of this same formula. Harmonic locking this time. With some tweaks, I can get MS-20 style "highpass filter fed back into itself" intense squared resonance and screams. I can make a bandpass, lowpass, highpass version of this as well, including a few different slopes for each.
https://hearthis.at/soundemote/fmd-motm ... c-locking/

It sounds freakin good, let me know if you need beta testing!

Very cool. If you can combine these innovative filters with your innovative synth oscillators, then there will be fun times indeed.

I got no problem with the marketing. I’d like to hear some lower gain examples tho.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

This is exactly the kind of filter plugin I've been looking for. The more weird and unique filter types, the better! Love the creativity here.

To people complaining about the person who complained about the marketing, keep in mind it was one person expressing an opinion, nothing more.

As I was tinkering away, again got distracted as I was trying to finalize the Russian filters. I found the holy grail, the 4th element, the final form! I have shown you sawtooth resonators, triangle resonator (see Russian filters), sinewave resonator (actually I have come up with an alternative to the general sinusoidal resonant filter that is screamy/chaotic).

It can warm, it can crunch, it can scream, growl, it can harmonically lock, traditional square hard and just FSU. Check out the various waveforms it is producing.

wtf... stairstep?

okayyy....

Way too much crunch.

traditional hard sync!

I bring you THE SQUARE RESONATOR!
https://hearthis.at/soundemote/fmd-square-resonator/

another shoutout to Sherman Filterbank

Edit: now if I could figure out how to double the squares at a different frequency this would make for an epic formant effect.

Your examples sound pretty cool...dirty and different...i like it :wink:

Regret selling my Quad Filterbank now :)
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:59 amRegret selling my Quad Filterbank now :)
uhh, well... I hope that in time with added features FMD can fill in for your missing filterbank.

amazing.extreme but so usefull....

...dang! so the Square Resonator will have to be put on the backburner for now. I made an embarrassing discovery. All the nice screaming/squares/stairstep effects were due to samplerate abuse. Essentially, I think... the effects are a result of aliasing or somehow some internal signals / feedback are going past nyquist frequency... which is not a problem in itself, except thatfrequency becomes based on samplerate and oversampling. There would be no way to control the frequency!

The effects achieved is definitely my favorite, so at some point I'll have to come back to this and figure out how to recreate the effect by creating aliasing purposefully. I think downsampling some values with a sample and hold is the key. What values to downsample and what I should do with the resulting value, I don't know. When I do get around to experimenting with downsampling, I'll probably discover some new gnarly effects.

I did take some screenshots superimposing two of the signals created by the algorithm to try to figure out what is going on. It looks to be an analog-style downsampling.

The input is a sawtooth. The GREEN controls the RED. It looks like it works like this: Green represents the frequency of the Red signal, positive and negative. A momentary upwards of Green means a momentary increase in value in Red. Notice green positive blips are little, but negative blips are big. So red signal has a trend downward.

Hmm, but then this would contradict the idea that the green blips have so much influence the red, as if green blips are simply an indication of when red will move.

Note to self: Green signal is probably a result of a self-modulating sine (which would go from sine to saw), and then is severely clipped with bandpass filtering. That's why green blips are equidistant in one image and not the other. And finally, the green blip frequency is perhaps a result of mirrored aliasing frequency being mixed into the feedback signal. If I had to take a guess, I would put the downsampler before whatever is controlling the green signal.

Sounds really good from the demo you posted, thank you for pushing filters further than just another ladder clone!

Alright, I had to just bite the bullet and spend some time experimenting and documenting how to use downsampling inside the filters. I have not yet realized how to do a proper "Square Resonator", but the cool thing is that now I know how to generally apply this effect to any filter.

This is not your run of the mill downsampling. It is integrally placed inside the filter (not just placed before the input or after the output like most bit reduction effects).

sawtooth:
https://hearthis.at/soundemote/fmd-down ... ynth-test/

drums:
https://hearthis.at/soundemote/fmd-down ... rums-test/

I want to do more with this such as adding interpolation options so you can dial in grittiness. Another thing I could experiment with is an analog-style downsampler which would have interpolation built in and sound less gritty.

More or less the final filter list for FMD release day. This isn't even all the filters I've come up with, so there will be a few more after release. I still haven't included all the Russian filters, German filters, Xenomorph, Junk Tube, need to revisit the Square Resonator (holy grail of screams and lo fi dirt) yes, more to come in the future.

And take note of the shapes Sinusoid, Triangle, Sawtooth, these are some of my favorite creations. Sinusoid is sooooo weird, it sounds like bubbles, my favorite of the 3. Then you have the SuperLove Bandpass which screams so loud it goes almost to pure noise (it sounds better with no oversampling! :hihi: ). Omg and then you have the Yellowjack Bandpass filter that has an incredible grinding and crushed sound, should become a crowd favorite. And then you know Flower Child Dirty can go very down and dirty, show me a filter that can do what Flower Child Dirty does... ok I think the Thomas White Buchla LoPass Gate is still the ultimate dirty filter, ok remind me to make something more dirty than Flower Child Dirty... and THEN if you want a "wtf is this filter doing" experience then go for the UFO Human filter variants, it screams and gurgles... ok, back to work... ignore that one filter at the bottom, no one likes that one.

14 filters is very cool, especially when they seem so unique! I'm looking forward to the release. Especially if there's going to be more filters added down the line. The Xenomorph filter sounded especially cool.

Return to “Effects”