Two new Plugin Alliance products announced: SPL Iron & SPL HawkEye

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cfanyc wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:52 pm
dblock wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:17 am It's getting rave reviews on Gearslutz.
every new plugin gets at GS the "it's the best thing ever"
and "now I use it on all my mixes" treatment by a large number
of folks who apparently (a) have way too much money to spend
on new toys (b) are extremely bored with their lives (c) never
bother to test thoroughly and objectively the said new toys
(but can express absolute opinions with conviction), and
(d) can never seem to find 3-4 mastering compressors or eqs or
reverbs to stick with and focus on actually getting some work (or simply
music) done.

For compressors last month's craze was acustica's El Rey. This month is the spl iron.

The hilarious pattern includes after no more than a couple of months, that
every "best thing ever" that is "used in every mix" is revealed to:
destroy/smear/soften transients, add a few db here and there
(typically in the low end for compressors), have wrong timing, metering
or control markings, craps out when overdriven, have numerous bugs, etc. etc.

This endless cycle is kind of fun but also sad.
I couldn't agree more with you. It almost feel like most folks are copying/pasting the same comments over and over every time something new comes in (just to see the hype disappear after a little while or when a new thing enters the scene).
One thing that makes me giggle about all these new things is watching the mandatory "Mixing with Mike, Plugin of the Week" video about each one of all these new plugins... No matter what plugin he reviews, if you look into the background, most of the tracks he is working with are loaded with a variety of Waves and instances of iZotope neutron and very little more... lol (probably those tools that Mike find exceptionally effective and those he knows best as he has learned about all the behaviors you can extract out of many different settings; in the end those tools that will really answer effectively the question, purpose or end-goal that you have with when mixing or even, when imagining what you want your mix to sound like).
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 pm
cfanyc wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:52 pm
dblock wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:17 am It's getting rave reviews on Gearslutz.
every new plugin gets at GS the "it's the best thing ever"
[snip]
I couldn't agree more with you. [snip]
The good thing is, its pretty easy to ignore the BS. There is a lot of ego and other mental issues loaded into audio and music work. As with audio iteself, the trick is using the right "filters" to get rid of the crap. often-times with opinions, after you filter, there is nothing left to consider but your own opnion (and keep it to yourself). :phones:

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thats why I dont read reviews of the plugins on KVR and Gearslutz. Everything new what comes out is best, plus 95% reviews come from no talent people who never ever released a track on a real label, who dont know how to mix (judging by soundcloud links, etc). Its best to demo and decide by yourself. Also, there is the other side...marketing from devs - like their product is best next thing, groundbreaking, fat, analog, 3d, etc etc, while under the hood most of the time is the same 100 times reused digital code.

I put IRON to the test in the mastering chain for one of my tracks. Here is a render of an excerpt. I uploaded the 96/24 masters, so soundcloud is doing the SRC. You can download the 96/24 source with the download links.

There are two demos here "Poltergeist" and "The Late Johnny G" (excerpts). With and without IRON on the output. 96/24 downloads available.

Poltergeist: Input is +4dB for some drive, Germanium 2mF rectifier, HP SC 90Hz, threshold/attack/release set to test, all others neutral. loudness +/-0.1dB LUFS between wet and dry

Johnny G: Input is +4dB for some drive, Ge/Si 300nF rectifier, HP SC 90Hz, headroom +5dB, threshold -12, attack 1st dot, release 2nd dot, AirBass, bias low, all others neutral. loudness +/-0.1dB LUFS between wet and dry

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/se ... os/s-Ek8Ah
Last edited by plexuss on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

My personal opinion is that Iron sounds sweet, very clean and transparent, but is far from being the best compressor I've ever heard (and I find it very hard to tweak it exactly to taste). I've been very surprised by the comments I've read on Gearslutz too.

That being said, my personal $99 heavy hitter price - my $50 voucher are exactly what I'm willing to pay for it, so if no other better plugin pops out from Plugin Alliance this month, I'll take it and will be perfectly happy with this offer.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 am My personal opinion is that Iron sounds sweet, very clean and transparent, but is far from being the best compressor I've ever heard (and I find it very hard to tweak it exactly to taste). I've been very surprised by the comments I've read on Gearslutz too.

That being said, my personal $99 heavy hitter price - my $50 voucher are exactly what I'm willing to pay for it, so if no other better plugin pops out from Plugin Alliance this month, I'll take it and will be perfectly happy with this offer.
I feel the same way: it's nice but not a game changer. I am also likely "in" for $50. :phones:

$49 maybe :P

one thing that irritated me immediately, the stepped makeup gain.
In software i just find that extremely silly.

anyway, if you won't use your $50 voucher, I'll give you ten bucks for it, then i can get Byome :P

Tried it on a few mixes, but preferred The Glue in blind test every time. Still my favourite compressor by far alongside Kotelnikov.

sqigls wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:35 am one thing that irritated me immediately, the stepped makeup gain.
Exactly what makes me say it's hard to tweak to taste : everything is stepped in this one. Stepped attack and stepped release are something I really dislike in a compressor, even if sometimes it works ok. But everytime I just ask myself what would happen if I could enter a value between the two steps... And now, they add stepped makeup gain !

DJErmac wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:47 am
sqigls wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:35 am one thing that irritated me immediately, the stepped makeup gain.
Exactly what makes me say it's hard to tweak to taste : everything is stepped in this one. Stepped attack and stepped release are something I really dislike in a compressor, even if sometimes it works ok. But everytime I just ask myself what would happen if I could enter a value between the two steps... And now, they add stepped makeup gain !
For me, I don't mind the stepped controls as long as the original hardware was also stepped. This makes me feel like I am using the hardware and working around some of the comprimises that have to be made. as you may know with hardware it's easier to get specified precision with discrete components in a stepped switch vs continuous control with a pot. Granted, devs can do more with software than with hardware and could very well offer continuous control between stepped models. However this can get complicated. Since it's meant as an authentic emulation of hardware, I understand the design decisions on this.

However it does annoy me that with many PA plugins you can't click to enter values. In correspondence with Dirk directly, his rationale is "you can't do that with the hardware so why should you be able to do it with the software" (paraphrasing). You can't please everybody... :phones:

Sure, you're entirely right. Maybe I'd only like to see slightly unfaithfull but instead more powerful emulations.

plexuss wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 pm I put IRON to the test in the mastering chain for one of my tracks. Here is a render of an excerpt. I uploaded the 96/24 masters, so soundcloud is doing the SRC. You can download the 96/24 source with the download links. :phones:

Input is +4dB for some drive, Germanium 2mF rectifier, HP SC 90Hz, threshold/attack/release set to test, all others neutral.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/pa ... on/s-5acxN

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/pa ... ff/s-b1nec

I honestly can't hear the difference, so I guess I wouldn't benefit from buying a compressor like this. I mean I'm sure there is a difference but I just can't hear it.

I've been pretty happy with Presswerk, but I would like to test out the stuff from Tokyo Dawn labs as it's fairly cheap and the Developer really strives for the best quality DSP.
:borg:

There is no need to buy a compressor in a world where Kotelnikov is free, only GAS. ^^

DJErmac wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:15 am There is no need to buy a compressor in a world where Kotelnikov is free, only GAS. ^^
Yes but by buying the plugin, you are saying "Thank you" to the developer! You also get added features too.
:borg:

Return to “Effects”