which MIDI controllers cover your needs ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
gort11112
KVRist
101 posts since 13 Aug, 2018

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:08 am

I thought about MIDI keyboard + pads... currently planning to buy Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol A61+ Maschine Mikro MK3... those 2 look promising

what MIDI controllers do u use ? are u happy with them ? :)

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
2904 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Re: which MIDI controllers cover your needs ?

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:50 am

Cover needs... it's hard to tell. As I don't need tons of controllers for my workflow and have trouble stacking them in reachable manner anyway.

However, messing with controllers instead of mouse can bea source of fun, inspiration and yield interetsing results.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Pictus
KVRist
147 posts since 21 Aug, 2017 from Brasil

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:37 am

If you are not into Native Instruments stuff, check the Novation SL MKIII.
viewtopic.php?t=512420&start=15

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... k3-11.html

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
5876 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 am

I use a Roland System-8 for VA and most synths. Maps pretty well to great on most things (if they have two envelopes, one filter, an LFO, and some Oscs, with effects....that's a lot of VSTi ground covered). Then I use a Novation Remote Zero SL for controlling effects in Studio One (I have custom templates setup for compression, reverb, etc.). A Steinberg CMC-QC for Cubase's awful Quick Controls system and for basic navigation. And an Avid Artist Mix control surface for mixing. Don't really use drum and pads but one day I hope to add a Roland Handsonic to the mix.

JCJR
KVRAF
2421 posts since 17 Apr, 2005 from S.E. TN

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:25 am

I'm not really in market for more controllers. As was mentioned there is the ergonomic problem where to put them where they can be effectively used.

I have (not currently set up) a midi drum kit I used to keep set up for drummers, I never could play the kit well enough and it was set up too far away from my "cockpit" so I acted as engineer dubbing a real drummer.

But they make several 8 or 9 pad controllers, smaller but you can play them with sticks rather than fingers.

For finger drumming I will just use a keyboard but I could probably get use out of a sticked pad controller better than a "spread out" drum kit. OTOH for use by a real drummer he would probably tend to grumble about playing something like an octapad as drum kit replacement even if I was to plug in kick and hat pads to the controller.

I would also maybe be tempted by something like Linnstrument except it would probably take more time than the heat death of the universe for me to play it half ass properly. :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”