Upgrade Plan

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry Bitwig, your updates aren't frequent enough. It was the wrong sales strategy to promise 'machine gun' updates over and over again when the upgrade plans were introduced and then fail to deliver against that promise. Appreciate, you have a small team compared to others but honesty with regards to securing funding to further develop the product would have been better for me in any case.

Thanks for the time stretching algorithms you released in the final month of the last update. This in of itself was just about enough to prevent me from completely scrapping the DAW. Will follow future updates and upgrade over a few years to capture new functionality similar to my approach with NI.

Good for you

Reply Button

well I think for the amount of time BWS has been out
the team have done a fantastic job, but of course a lot of us are used to using the likes of Cubase etc etc etc
and ( want need expect ) BWS to do the same things, but those other daw,s have been out for 10 years plus
I'm no coder but I am sure that it is no easy job to implement all those things we all keep asking for.
And as BWS is such a new daw, they don't want to look the same as all the others ( what would be the point of that ) but gradually bring the features in but in a new and different way.

I do agree they should have never used the term "Machine Gun Updates "
but so far I am a relatively happy bunny
perhaps the team should do a poll of the updates people are asking for
and implement them in order of preference

cheers
Kev
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

turbo_kev wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:53 pm well I think for the amount of time BWS has been out
the team have done a fantastic job, but of course a lot of us are used to using the likes of Cubase etc etc etc
and ( want need expect ) BWS to do the same things, but those other daw,s have been out for 10 years plus
I'm no coder but I am sure that it is no easy job to implement all those things we all keep asking for.
And as BWS is such a new daw, they don't want to look the same as all the others ( what would be the point of that ) but gradually bring the features in but in a new and different way.

I do agree they should have never used the term "Machine Gun Updates "
but so far I am a relatively happy bunny
perhaps the team should do a poll of the updates people are asking for
and implement them in order of preference

cheers
Kev
yes, I agree with your sentiment. thanks for the reply. That being said though another thing about quite a lot of the KVR user base surrounding Bitwig is very off-putting. When I read some of the threads from time to time, people are downright nasty to anyone daring to raise any form of criticism lol.

If it wasn't apparent, I'm relatively happy with the version I have too. It's a great DAW for creating that initial spark, but as a fully fledged DAW, it's not quite there yet in my opinion. I normally use it with Ableton to get a track finished using Link. When I'm happy with automation and stuff I export stems from both DAW's into S1 for mix downs. I find the workflow suits me but appreciate everyone has their own way of working. I think Bitwig will eventually be a really great DAW, but from a cost perspective, the features aren't worth the upgrade price for point updates that you generally get for free in all others. This is what I meant when I said that honesty would I believe had gone a lot further with most of their users as generally a lot of people are rooting for them from what I can gather. I know Sadowick on youtube who has a massive following dumped it in the end and went back to Ableton.
Last edited by greenfly on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm actually very happy the way things turned out in 2018. Decent Time Stretching,Phase-4,Decent Sampler and some small improvements was a deal breaker for me. If I would've stumbled upon Bitwig in 2015,2016,I would've never bought it,but in 2019,it seems like a good DAW,maybe not the best,but still,good/okay.
Having said that, I'm not planning to buy an upgrade for a LONG time. What Bitwig already has in upcoming 2.5 might be enough for me. So paying just 250$ once for Bitwig seems like a good investment right now. I might not need what Bitwig has to offer in Bitwig 2.6,2.7 or even 3.
But,everyone has different situation and experiences.

oh no, not that sh*t again :party:
about 10 quid a month, if you can't fund that with your music, don't quit your day job.
it is actually a cheap hobby for you then, compared to soccer or organ lessons. :hug:
:phones:

How many updates were you realistically expecting? When 2.0 came out, I upgraded and got 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3. 2.4 came out a month after my upgrade plan ended so I got a new plan when that happened. I'd say that's pretty damn good for a year.

I've been with Bitwig almost a year now, one more day officially. I feel like the updates keep coming, just when I'm getting settled in, here comes another one. I suppose it's a good idea to keep up this pace as they're playing catch up in many areas, but once they get all the basics in, they should consider slowing way down imo, or at least I will concerning updates. They're doing great imo.
-JH

I agree with Greenfly. I've been apart of many small communities and Bitwig is the only one where the devs completely avoid their user base, add that to the generally unfriendly community who opposes almost all constructive criticism on the product. Not to mention Bitiwg has lied about their updates as well as the features that they promised since Bitwig 1. I still use the product and I might upgrade once every few years but I won't fully support them like I do other start ups.

" the generally unfriendly community" is not really a thing. On every forum there are just some unfriendly people. Unfortunately they always seem to get a reaction which probably keeps them coming back.

david.djx wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:13 pm " the generally unfriendly community" is not really a thing. On every forum there are just some unfriendly people. Unfortunately they always seem to get a reaction which probably keeps them coming back.
Agreed. And I feel like most of the time the "complaints" that come through go something like "Wow Bitwig sucks. It can't even do this when Ableton can do it" when it reality, Bitwig has it's own way of doing it. It's tiring.

Quack Quack wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:32 pm I agree with Greenfly. I've been apart of many small communities and Bitwig is the only one where the devs completely avoid their user base, add that to the generally unfriendly community who opposes almost all constructive criticism on the product.
First, that is simply not true. There is constructive criticism here all the time. There are users sorting out problems, helping each other figure out why something is happening, if it is intended or a bug and so on. There are also plenty of posts where someone complains about some aspect and nobody opposes them at all.

What can get frustrating is when some person complains over and over about the same thing. You cannot call that constructive because to be constructive, it needs to be directed to the developers who don't read the forum. It ends up as whining at the other users who couldn't do anything about it anyway.

If someone wants to criticize the developers and send them 100 frustrated emails, go ahead, that is between them. But to do it in the user forum only serves the purpose of making a negative atmosphere for other users. And yeah, some users find that frustrating. Sometimes I'm one of them.

I would like to see the developers active in the forum, but they are not and there it is.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:14 am
Quack Quack wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:32 pm I agree with Greenfly. I've been apart of many small communities and Bitwig is the only one where the devs completely avoid their user base, add that to the generally unfriendly community who opposes almost all constructive criticism on the product.
First, that is simply not true. There is constructive criticism here all the time. There are users sorting out problems, helping each other figure out why something is happening, if it is intended or a bug and so on. There are also plenty of posts where someone complains about some aspect and nobody opposes them at all.

What can get frustrating is when some person complains over and over about the same thing. You cannot call that constructive because to be constructive, it needs to be directed to the developers who don't read the forum. It ends up as whining at the other users who couldn't do anything about it anyway.

If someone wants to criticize the developers and send them 100 frustrated emails, go ahead, that is between them. But to do it in the user forum only serves the purpose of making a negative atmosphere for other users. And yeah, some users find that frustrating. Sometimes I'm one of them.

I would like to see the developers active in the forum, but they are not and there it is.
Ahh my bad, I recall several bitwig employees actively participating. The ‘machine gun updates’ was most definitely communicated by Bitwig here. As for developers participating, I guess they are delivering against their roadmap. Abandoning their small KVR user base speaks volumes. Thanks for letting me know. The point of this forum in general though are for people to voice pretty much whatever they like regarding the product. If you don’t like the ‘whining’ as you call it, it pretty much sums up my point and by the same token you are free to not engage with those types of posts.

greenfly wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:57 am
pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:14 am

Ahh my bad, I recall several bitwig employees actively participating. The ‘machine gun updates’ was most definitely communicated by Bitwig here. As for developers participating, I guess they are delivering against their roadmap. Abandoning their small KVR user base speaks volumes. Thanks for letting me know. The point of this forum in general though are for people to voice pretty much whatever they like regarding the product. If you don’t like the ‘whining’ as you call it, it pretty much sums up my point and by the same token you are free to not engage with those types of posts.
What? Nobody likes listening to incessant whining period. You'll get called out on any forum. It happens on Facebook all the time. So no, it's not "summing up your point". What are these "machine gun" updates though? What were you realistically expecting? A new 2. version every month or what?

Return to “Bitwig”