I fell in love with the V Collection

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I finally made the jumb this week and bought Arturia´s V Collection. This bundle is so huge, I have no idea what to explore first..
Actually I´m that kind of musician with a faibel to modern, digital sounding synths and I´m prone to get lost in designing futuristic, weird and cold sci-fi sounds.
However, after playing with the DX 7 for more than one hour, I´m so fascinated by its lovely sound and the fact how deep this instrument is.. just amazing!
I know the V Collection has been out for a while but for me, a new and exciting journey to the past has just started :)

What a great collection of instruments! Sorry for my enthousiasm but I had to share it with you guys and if you are still on the fence like I was.. try out the demos. What´s almost more impressing than the bundle itself is the price! Really more than fair for so much to get

SmartCat wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 pm I finally made the jumb this week and bought Arturia´s V Collection. This bundle is so huge, I have no idea what to explore first..
Actually I´m that kind of musician with a faibel to modern, digital sounding synths and I´m prone to get lost in designing futuristic, weird and cold sci-fi sounds.
However, after playing with the DX 7 for more than one hour, I´m so fascinated by its lovely sound and the fact how deep this instrument is.. just amazing!
I know the V Collection has been out for a while but for me, a new and exciting journey to the past has just started :)

What a great collection of instruments! Sorry for my enthousiasm but I had to share it with you guys and if you are still on the fence like I was.. try out the demos. What´s almost more impressing than the bundle itself is the price! Really more than fair for so much to get
Well, yeah its been out for awhile but they add new stuff so not sure what that means ;) DX7, Fairlight, etc. are new to v6.

And I think you bought at the wrong time unless you were still able to get a good deal. Best time to buy is during the Black Friday sales.

rezoneight wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:32 pm Well, yeah its been out for awhile but they add new stuff so not sure what that means ;) DX7, Fairlight, etc. are new to v6.

And I think you bought at the wrong time unless you were still able to get a good deal. Best time to buy is during the Black Friday sales.
Yes, a paid a good price for the bundle. But even the regular one is still great, compared to what you would pay for the individual instruments.

Their DX7 is great, so easy and fun to program because of the huge, slick user interface. Some of their analog emulations are a bit long in the tooth but still sound fine in a mix unless you're making music for bats.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:24 am Their DX7 is great, so easy and fun to program because of the huge, slick user interface. Some of their analog emulations are a bit long in the tooth but still sound fine in a mix unless you're making music for bats.
Oh yes. All instruments have such a beautiful GUI and its great that everything is resizable. I really have the feeling that I will need years to delve into the whole bundle.

Regarding the sound, I´m not an expert in terms of analog emulations and I don´t know how faithfully they have been reproduced but they sound superb.

Tip: They typically need a bit more oumph compared to other vsts. Inserting one or more saturators after the instrument will take care of that.

Stefken wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:20 am Tip: They typically need a bit more oumph compared to other vsts. Inserting one or more saturators after the instrument will take care of that.
:tu:
Thanks Stefken, I´ll try that!
Do you recommend a tape plugin for the saturation?

No tape is a very subtle effect. The Arturia synths need quite a bass boost.

Few recommendations:

* Softube saturation knob (free)
* P&M Clarisonix

I actually use both, one running into the other.

SmartCat wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:28 am
Stefken wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:20 am Tip: They typically need a bit more oumph compared to other vsts. Inserting one or more saturators after the instrument will take care of that.
:tu:
Thanks Stefken, I´ll try that!
Do you recommend a tape plugin for the saturation?
Instead turn the knobs and sculpt your sound, before inserting saturators on every track! most of time saturators harm more than help, Use tape saturators if you need to tame higs, beware adding saturation on every synth can sound total mess! you kill the spacing needed for using more than one synt and then you have to equalise each sound to recreate that space because adding saturation is adding harmonics...Result at the end your mix sound thin distorded and flat. You dont need to eq, compress and saturate every tracks but using this tools only when it's necessary! the collection V sound great and for shure sound great without saturators! most of time hobbyist are squashing sounds with saturation, bad compression curves, heavy clipping limiting, they cant event ear the artifacts because they are mixing whit cheap or bad monitoring and when they start to ear there is already way to much, some of them even don't knows how high resolution files sound and are looking for mp3 128kbps sound,in my career I meat crazy producers on my studio some of them with DAW projects full of mp3 at different resolutions, Of course I refused to work whit them!
Learn to A/B with rms matched volume to compare with the saturation added and without being fooled by volume difference between the two? tools like mCompare help's this process and you can also blind test. If I have to give 3 tip's is:
1: the choice of instrumentation (how the different instruments share the spectral balance space) and the quality of composition arrangement is the key for 80% of the sound...Remember great composers don't need to eq compress their orchestra!
2: when you are satisfied with the first step carefully analyse with your ears (and spectral analyzer) where the sound as to be corrected, Listen to great sounding records you like and try to see how your mix compare, take a breath 5min then try to understand what kind of processing going thru the reference mix. 3: Check for tuts about mixing, eqing, compressing...In the web, better to look at commercial tuts, they are so many wankers doing tuts who are def, unexperienced and some are mythomaniacs...That said is not real for most free stuff but it can save you from mistakes at the begging.
Hope it helps!
Last edited by Chandran on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sorry double post!
Last edited by Chandran on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry triple post!
phuking phone!
Last edited by Chandran on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

No comment! Sorry!

I don't need any of this shit, The Analog Collection is just crap for...

...Is that a new DX7 emulation?

I need help.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

I have the V Collection, enough to keep any soft synth head engaged for a long long time. So many to get to know and being classic synths, most that I will never even see, makes it even more of a joy!

The resizable GUI's make the experience so good. Integration - synths together in the same software package, easy updating with one company and what have they got lined up for the future?.... always looking forward to that.

This is what convinced me with how close they are to the original synths - after hearing the likes of the Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Depeche Mode, etc. sounds:

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... ion/sounds

Soundwise it's all there, just dig in and experiment.

I maybe should have jumped on that insane reverb deal that appeared for a couple days...(soundtoys and v-collection). It's still there, and the price is still a good deal (less than v-collection by itself I think and you get every soundtoys plugin).

Problem: I really want Kontakt for non-synth instruments, and by far the best bang-for-buck in my estimation is to get Komplete. I will get a lot of use out of fm8, massive x and reaktor at the least, as well. So I got Komplete select and will wait for (hopefully) an upgrade sale. That sucked my funds away for now. If I don't end up buying some hardware for live use, who knows.

I wish Arturia had a bundle where you could pick say 5 instruments for a discount (for that matter, I wish Native Instruments would do this as well). There are too many in there I definitely do not need. I like that their newer instruments are getting the best reviews though, tells me they are working to improve.

Return to “Instruments”