I fell in love with the V Collection

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 am
fmr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:44 am
SmartCat wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 am Does Arturia release new instruments frequently? Or do they have an upgrade plan on a yearly basis for the V Collection?
Lately, they have launched new versions of V Collection, with three or four instruments added. But Pigments was launched outside of V Collection, as well as the filters bundles and preamps bundle.
I think the idea is that V Collection should only contain emulations of vintage synths and keyboards, which is why Pigments and the effects were released outside of the bundle. V Collection 6 came out in late 2017, version 5 in May 2016 so if they keep this schedule, there should be a paid update this summer... On the other hand, Pigments just came out, so they might have been focusing on only that. Also, V Collection 6.2 recently came out as a free update, which added lots of features to the Synclavier V.

My wish for V Collection 7 would be that rather than adding even more instruments, they'd go back to the oldest emulations like the JP-8, CS-80, Prophet etc. and update them.
I was a little peeved that Pigments was not included in V Collection. I still wound up getting it and don't regret it. I guess my my logic was influenced by NI's pricing model for Komplete. It's a one price for all thrown in. I thought V Collection was the same idea. Oh, well. I guess a discussion for another time.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:01 pm I was a little peeved that Pigments was not included in V Collection. I still wound up getting it and don't regret it. I guess my my logic was influenced by NI's pricing model for Komplete. It's a one price for all thrown in. I thought V Collection was the same idea. Oh, well. I guess a discussion for another time.
You now have THREE Kompletes, so the cheapest one is no longer "komplete" (nor even the second one either) :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

telecode wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:01 pm I was a little peeved that Pigments was not included in V Collection. I still wound up getting it and don't regret it. I guess my my logic was influenced by NI's pricing model for Komplete. It's a one price for all thrown in. I thought V Collection was the same idea.
There has not been a release of a new V collection. Pigments is also not a recreation but a completely new synth, which they had been working on for quite some time. The visualition/modulation system is certainly something no other synth has. (I can imagine some companies copying this approach though; Cypher 2 might also update their modulation system to something inspired by Pigments). So I guess this product is on a different 'development path'. The amps and filter releases were also not in the collection.

So it would seem that next to the hardware and the software V collection, they have a third 'branch' now.
But again with a great loyality program/price.
Last edited by Stefken on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stefken wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:49 am
SmartCat wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:16 am , and investing solely in Arturia. Even better If they also have a wavetable based synth.
Well I must say that Arturia has a great loyalty program! I got '3 preamps you'll actually use' for 70 euro instead of the regular 300 euro. And it's a great piece of software. Same with Pigments.

Until now if you skipped one version of the Collection than you have yourself a great upgrade path. (Don't know what the next collection will bring).
And the upgrade of Analog lab was free which is great for people who only have that, as they got the new instruments for free.

The quality of their software is only improving.
So it's a good investment.

Negatives? Their sound lacks some bottom end for me and there are companies that have more characterfull filters and more analog oriented sound. (So I didn't go for their filterpack). So they sound somewhat more 'flat/neutral' but you can fix that in your mix/processing.
I really have to try out Pigments sooner or later.
Regarding the sound, the main reason for me to buy the V collection was because they modelled the instruments. I didn´t want to buy just samples. I love to tweak and change the initial sound subtly or to something completely different.

SmartCat wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:22 pm I really have to try out Pigments sooner or later.
Regarding the sound, the main reason for me to buy the V collection was because they modelled the instruments. I didn´t want to buy just samples. I love to tweak and change the initial sound subtly or to something completely different.
Yeah, samples can't get me excited anymore also. Synthesis is just so much more flexible.

Pigments is imo nothing special soundwise. The osc and filters are nothing special.
It's just the way you can modulate things AND see it all very visual on screen.
For me it's just much easier to see what's going on and the GUI really invites you to modulate things.
So I really like it for ambient evolving stuff as of yet (I still have so much to explore).

Edit: actually the wavetable osc is interesting with all the wavefolding, phase mod and stuff that you can do. What I meant is that Arturia's softsynths are not character synths.

telecode wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:57 am
Hemmick Reef wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:13 pm I have the V Collection, enough to keep any soft synth head engaged for a long long time. So many to get to know and being classic synths, most that I will never even see, makes it even more of a joy!

The resizable GUI's make the experience so good. Integration - synths together in the same software package, easy updating with one company and what have they got lined up for the future?.... always looking forward to that.

This is what convinced me with how close they are to the original synths - after hearing the likes of the Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Depeche Mode, etc. sounds:

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... ion/sounds

Soundwise it's all there, just dig in and experiment.
There was an interesting interview with Pete Townsend a while back on EM. He uses Arturia CS-80 and he stated the emulator is actually better sounding than the actual instrument he owned and used in the 70s. The downside with the emulators is they sound great but they lack the human interface because they are soft synths, which means you as the end user are responsible for creating the human interface with whatever hardware device you decide to get. The experience of using them is very different on a cheap $100 midi controller vs a $500 midi controller.
Do you have a link for the interview?

I'm thinking about upgrading to one of the Arturia keylab controllers. It's not the cheapest option for a midi controller but for integration with Analog Lab and the V collection it's probably worth it and the best solution for ease of use.

SmartCat wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:22 pm Regarding the sound, the main reason for me to buy the V collection was because they modelled the instruments. I didn´t want to buy just samples. I love to tweak and change the initial sound subtly or to something completely different.

Yeah. V-Coll is definitely that. My only issue with it is tweaking it via clicking those little tiny buttons is a real pain in the arse. Even with the enlarged GUI.. its still a pain.

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Hemmick Reef wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:11 pm
Hemmick Reef wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:13 pm I have the V Collection, enough to keep any soft synth head engaged for a long long time. So many to get to know and being classic synths, most that I will never even see, makes it even more of a joy!

The resizable GUI's make the experience so good. Integration - synths together in the same software package, easy updating with one company and what have they got lined up for the future?.... always looking forward to that.

This is what convinced me with how close they are to the original synths - after hearing the likes of the Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Depeche Mode, etc. sounds:

There was an interesting interview with Pete Townsend a while back on EM. He uses Arturia CS-80 and he stated the emulator is actually better sounding than the actual instrument he owned and used in the 70s. The downside with the emulators is they sound great but they lack the human interface because they are soft synths, which means you as the end user are responsible for creating the human interface with whatever hardware device you decide to get. The experience of using them is very different on a cheap $100 midi controller vs a $500 midi controller.

I'm thinking about upgrading to one of the Arturia keylab controllers. It's not the cheapest option for a midi controller but for integration with Analog Lab and the V collection it's probably worth it and the best solution for ease of use.
https://www.emusician.com/gear/tracking-townshend

https://petetownshend.net/musicals/electronica

Yeah, i am also thinking of upgrading to one of their controller because I think I could really use the little knobs and and mappings. But I keep hearing poor quality onine about them. People complaining keys and knobs breaking and failing. I am still using an old 49 key made in Japan Roland from the 90s. The thing is still working fine but I can only map one thing -- the slider knob thingy.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:24 am Their DX7 is great, so easy and fun to program because of the huge, slick user interface. Some of their analog emulations are a bit long in the tooth but still sound fine in a mix unless you're making music for bats.
I agree that the new digital emulations and the Easel are good, however I must be a bat because I hear a huge difference in and out of a mix when compared to hardware analogs and other emulations from U-He, XILS, GForce and Native Instruments.

Now, that’s not saying that they’re not capable of making some cool sounds. A bit of processing helps a lot. They’re also very light on CPU, so if you have very busy mixes or an old computer, they’re a good alternative. That said, I wish they’d have put the unremarkable Pigmints on the back burner and instead put development time into better versions of their old plugins. If they could get CS80 V up to the same standards as Diva or Legend, we’d all be talking about it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

telecode wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:25 pm
Hemmick Reef wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:11 pm

https://www.emusician.com/gear/tracking-townshend

https://petetownshend.net/musicals/electronica

Yeah, i am also thinking of upgrading to one of their controller because I think I could really use the little knobs and and mappings. But I keep hearing poor quality onine about them. People complaining keys and knobs breaking and failing. I am still using an old 49 key made in Japan Roland from the 90s. The thing is still working fine but I can only map one thing -- the slider knob thingy.
:tu:

Speaking about Gforce I saw on their website that Alan R Pearlman passed away :( .

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:04 pm
AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:24 am Their DX7 is great, so easy and fun to program because of the huge, slick user interface. Some of their analog emulations are a bit long in the tooth but still sound fine in a mix unless you're making music for bats.
I agree that the new digital emulations and the Easel are good, however I must be a bat because I hear a huge difference in and out of a mix when compared to hardware analogs and other emulations from U-He, XILS, GForce and Native Instruments.

Now, that’s not saying that they’re not capable of making some cool sounds. A bit of processing helps a lot. They’re also very light on CPU, so if you have very busy mixes or an old computer, they’re a good alternative. That said, I wish they’d have put the unremarkable Pigmints on the back burner and instead put development time into better versions of their old plugins. If they could get CS80 V up to the same standards as Diva or Legend, we’d all be talking about it.
Except for the fact that Diva (at least...not sure about Legend) is a CPU hog and not an emulation of anything per se but just a mixture of modeled bits and pieces of stuff? I love the sound of Diva but IMHO its an apples and oranges comparison. I'd rather have them spend time on the new stuff (emulation or otherwise) like they have been doing.

rezoneight wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:46 pm

Except for the fact that Diva (at least...not sure about Legend) is a CPU hog and not an emulation of anything per se but just a mixture of modeled bits and pieces of stuff? I love the sound of Diva but IMHO its an apples and oranges comparison. I'd rather have them spend time on the new stuff (emulation or otherwise) like they have been doing.
Yes, that is my understanding as well. Dive is not an emulation. Its s separate produce that sounds like a synth from the past.

rezoneight wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:46 pm

The latest version of Diva Has multi core support via a button. This makes things a lot easier on the CPU.

Return to “Instruments”