Pitch Quantising

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Does Bitwig have a way of quantising pitch. Is there a method of taking a sample and hold input and having the output conform to a given scale, such the output is random within the scale.

I saw this effect demonstrated on a modular synth, and quite impressive.

Thanks

For MIDI you can use either the diatonic transposer or the remapping tool.

Hi

thanks for your reply, the Diatonic Transposer was up to the task, many thanks

Remember that if you modulate the DC device with a LFO or such, you can generate notes with the Replacer device after that... So you can have super fast 80s videogame style arpeggios, etc.

Taika-Kim wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:08 pm Remember that if you modulate the DC device with a LFO or such, you can generate notes with the Replacer device after that... So you can have super fast 80s videogame style arpeggios, etc.
Broken Chords like Martin Galway?! Interesting, I've never looked at the devices you mentioned. Must have a look. :hyper:

I own a silly amount of VST's but I've recently just started using BW only devices. It's refreshing and my CPU is much lower.

Yes, and beyond. Check these. You need the 2.5 beta.

7-TET (equal temperament of 7 notes in an octave, unlike the usual 12 tones) infinite acid pattern
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5k95vte24cq2 ... reset?dl=0

Generative analog shift register clone:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgp65t35nga97 ... oject?dl=0

And a sketch for a tune that was done using that preset and only Bitwig devices I built:

https://soundcloud.com/haltiamieli/animal-paths

Not a single clip in that project!

If you need help understanding these, just ask!

Taika-Kim

Belated thanks for the information regarding the LFO modulation. Love your Animal Paths sketch, all done in and with Bitwig, I notice.

I haven’t used the Replacer much yet, except in the context of automatically spitting out trigger notes when an audio signal amplitude crosses a threshold. Like, for automatically generating notes to trigger a ducking curve in Gatekeeper or LFOTool, etc. when the kick and snare transients appear in an audio drum track. Stuff like that.

In this use case, you don’t care what the actual note pitch generated by Replacer might be.

But I could have sworn that Replacer simply kicks out one single MIDI note pitch. Not a range of possible pitches. Maybe I’m misremembering? Regardless, what’s the trick to getting a modulated DC Offset signal to make Replacer generate a range of notes?

Okay so I checked the doc on Replacer and it indeed spits out only one fixed pitch at one fixed velocity.

So.... maybe you meant doing something like this?

LFO-modulated DC Offset, feeding into Replacer, with Replacer triggering a single fixed note when the DC Offset hits .90. So now you have a MIDI note generated at the crest of each LFO cycle.

Then you feed that single note from Replacer into a note transformer of some sort, like the Arpeggiator device, or the Diatonic Transposer device, etc., so that each incoming fixed pitch note is quantized to a specific outbound note from the transformer device?

You can modulate the note. Almost everything is a destination in BW! Create a Step pattern, modulate the pitch of the Replacer with +12. Now the Steps creates notes between one octave below and higher than the Replacer note value. Currently hitting the right notes is a bit of a chore, but using the Diatonic Transposer or hmm the other one that allows to create a free quantisation pattern, you can restrict the range of notes to a scale, a chord, etc. With the Multi Note you can create chords or arpeggio patterns (with the Arpeggiator of course) from single notes. With 2.5 beta there came a new Note FX Selector device, that makes it very easy to create a layer of chords etc, and then automate between them. Note Pitch Shifter is yet another tool for working with MIDI pitch, and of course it can be automated and modulated too.

Taika-Kim wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:34 am You can modulate the note. Almost everything is a destination in BW! Create a Step pattern, modulate the pitch of the Replacer with +12.
Aha! That's the conceptual part I was missing. Thanks!

Return to “Bitwig”