Roland RD2000 and it's build-in audio interface

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Caroozo
KVRist
56 posts since 9 Mar, 2012

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:46 am

I'd like to ask some users of Roland RD2000 about it's audio interface. I get a chance to play on it (it's great), but this funcionality is very important to me. I use ZOOM UAC2 which is excellent for my needs, paired with HP 2170p notebook with pre-configured plugins - it works flawlessly.

But sometimes the less the better, and I was thinking about changing my RD700GX to RD2000 - just for key action, it's analog effects and build-in audio interface. I'm live-oriented player (almost 30 years of experience) and I can tell difference between 5ms or 7ms in latency (Donna Lee in uptempo or some fast synth-brass parts in Rosanna and so on ;)) and the quality of sound is essential to me - I play mainly in band with 3 saxophones, drums, bass, vocals, and sometimes with big-band and to cut through the mix is no easy task.

So - I'd like to know something about RD2000.
1) Is the driver generic/vendor as in previous instruments? I mean - can I connect it to Windows/Mac/iPad etc? If so, how about performance?
2) What is RTL for build-in interface? Or at least at which sample rates or buffors can it work - and work stable and glitch-free on beefy machine?
3) As for the driver - which OSes are tested and what is difference between drivers? I know RD2000 has drivers for Win10 and for "legacy" OSes (which are far from being outdated :)). I own 2 notebooks with those systems (one 3th gen dual-core ULV i5, one 4th gen quad-core i7) and Win 10 with forced updates don't suit me well, so it's an important question. I'm asking about original driver. It bothers me Roland is using separate driver for older OSes and Win10-only - why?
4) Is 3,5 mm jack input working as Line-In in the computer?
5) The most important one - what about sound quality of interface compared to better ones - RME, UA, Apogee? There are some measures done?

Thanks for an answer!

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17595 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Roland RD2000 and it's build-in audio interface

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:23 am

4) Usually it's a headphone input, but in most cases it can be switchable between headphone in and line in (I know for sure that Realtek's drivers can support this).

5) I don't think you can expect the same quality of the interface as with RME, UA or Apogee... some of those upper tier audio interfaces cost as much or more than RD-2000... This is just a conjencture, though.

Caroozo
KVRist
56 posts since 9 Mar, 2012

Re: Roland RD2000 and it's build-in audio interface

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:33 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:23 am
4) Usually it's a headphone input, but in most cases it can be switchable between headphone in and line in (I know for sure that Realtek's drivers can support this).

5) I don't think you can expect the same quality of the interface as with RME, UA or Apogee... some of those upper tier audio interfaces cost as much or more than RD-2000... This is just a conjencture, though.
4) RD2000 has dedicated input, so I'm not afraid about impedance, but about using it as line-in under DAW
5) My Zoom UAC2 has the exact DAC used in RME Babyface (if memory serves me well) and costs 250$ or even less, so I believe there's good chance Roland used at least something decent inside - the output of RD-series, as for flagship stage piano, was always excellent. Of course, the sole DAC is not as important as overall "application" (there are interfaces with good DACs which sounds rather dull and flat) - but if it uses the output of RD, it's not black magic to make it sound just decent, good or very good. It's all about design. And You know - I CAN expect at least some quality, 'cause many components aren't needed (pre-amps, knobs, chassis, output section to some degree). I'm not ignorant to just say "it's one chip more", but if RD2000 sounds really good, how much of a problem for it's interface to have really good specs?

Return to “Instruments”