SSL Bus comp shootout: Hardware SSL FX G384 VS The Glue VS IK Bus Comp VS Melda MTurboComp

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Which files have been processed using the hardware SSL FX G384? A,B,C or D?

A are the hardware processed files
20%
B are the hardware processed files
12%
C are the hardware processed files
12%
D are the hardware processed files
56%

Total votes: 25

jochicago
KVRist
372 posts since 26 Feb, 2018

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:46 pm

> Which files have been processed using the hardware SSL FX G384?

Forgive my amateurishness, but how many of us have the hardware unit in order to answer this question?

I think here at KVR the question should be "which one sounds better? and BTW one of them is hardware"

I don't have any hardware. Not just because I can't/don't want to afford it, nor have a place to put it/don't want to allocate space for racks, but also because at this point there's thousands of great plugins to manipulate audio in so many ways. Ultimately there's a plugin that will get you where you are going.

I don't blanket-accept the idea that the hardware unit is "better" than the plugin. In some cases maybe, but I can do it the other way around too. Bring me a poorly-maintained 1968 1176 to compare blind against 15 plugins, and I bet you it doesn't even come in the top 5, sitting there sucking up electricity, taking up room space and calling for a maintenance bill from one of the very few people that know how to service it right.

MogwaiBoy
KVRAF
2993 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Re: SSL Bus comp shootout: Hardware SSL FX G384 VS The Glue VS IK Bus Comp VS Melda MTurboComp

Post Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:39 am

I've listened only to the drum take. Dunno why everyone likes B (Melda). Turn it up, it sounds like the kick and snare are flat, like at the same depth inside the stereo image - just holding together at that singular distance, which I don't feel in D.

Damn, none of them compare to the hardware IMO. The IKM was very fuzzy - but The Glue doesn't fare much better and is the biggest disappointment in this test since I use it a lot. Maybe the "HD" update will take it that extra 10%.

sleepcircle
KVRian
540 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Re: SSL Bus comp shootout: Hardware SSL FX G384 VS The Glue VS IK Bus Comp VS Melda MTurboComp

Post Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:31 am

just a note: how well the glue does depends on the oversampling amount. I can hear a difference all the way up to 16x. after that point, i stop being able to tell—like i can't tell the difference between 16x and 32x—but until then, I notice a difference in crispness and, like, tone purity.

but also, as far as i know, the glue doesn't do the transformer, just the internal circuit--a lot of people feel that the transformer is part of what imparts "The Quality" to things.

I think in the glue 2.0/hd, he was planning to emulate the surrounding circuitry like the input and output stages, so you may very well be right.

Return to “Effects”