January Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
vurt
addled muppet weed
40686 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 am

farlukar wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:49 pm
wagtunes wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:14 pm
When I bought my first guitar back in the 70s, I also bought a glass slide […]
A long time ago I bought a glass slide, shorty after I had a bunch of glass shards on my floor, then I bought the steel slide that I still have.
i once got my finger stuck in a metal slide.
had it been glass i could have just hit it with a hammer and be free.
rather than panic as my finger continued to swell till the tip was bright purple.
luckily, someone sensible suggested a bucket of iced water. so i didn't have to cut my finger off :)
which was nice.

Mister Natural
KVRAF
2329 posts since 28 Oct, 2007 from michigan

Re: January Contest: Gossip

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 am

^ lol
happy to hear that you still have that fretting finger . . .
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Tbase2000
KVRist
234 posts since 23 Oct, 2017

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:48 pm

Vurt learned a valuable lesson. Always use lube.
Donkey...now that I get to listen to the song....I like it. You went big on the keys and I don't like them. :| Well not the mix. I like your organic tones...faucets dripping, car door slams, cat get's stepped on. Full lyrics on this one which I LIKE! It's submitted but shouldn't be "done". Rethink. Another good one though.

Hellfog
KVRian
539 posts since 1 Jan, 2009

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:30 am

Mister Natural wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:46 am
arghhh . . . this is a little harder than first appears
whatever I might submit, you guys are gonna say that doesn't sound all that blue ... all that tragic ...
think I've got the instrumentals, gotta add some "blue" vocals to i
if you want to offer feedback, check the SC link below to preview the track & lemmee know what u thinc
peace

Well this theme "Blue" can be interpreted in many ways just not in mood feeling blue. Check the theme specs again.

folderol
KVRAF
4775 posts since 5 Aug, 2006 from UK - Here!

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:50 pm

So much to do, so little time :(
I've got a bit of an idea, but I really can't see me having enough time to develop it beyond a few bars :-? :( :cry:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)

The Noodlist
KVRian
536 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from Dingleborough UK

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:42 pm

Good luck to this months entrants, good stuff as usual.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware emulation list. I don't really need anymore effects, I need to learn how to use those I already have.

ClaRago
KVRist
452 posts since 1 Dec, 2011

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi guys, sneaked back in a few days ago after a few months of musical abstinence.I wish you all lots of happy moments in 2019.Try and make them last.

Mister Natural
KVRAF
2329 posts since 28 Oct, 2007 from michigan

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:44 pm

I've missed hearing your work, Claude
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

milkshakeiii
KVRist
98 posts since 25 Jul, 2008

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi first contest in forever, nice to see everyone again. Seems like the quality of everyone's submissions is quite high and mine will look silly by comparison but oh well, hahaha. Here's some comments!

donkey tugger: I like the harmony and the guitar. Climactic section seems to work quite well, good build-up. Words are creeping me out a little bit, haha.

Tbase2000: Loving the vocals and the overall composition. Really got into it around when the vocals kicked in.

Laguna rising: Happy that someone went for a more traditional blues form. I feel like I want to jam with who- or whatever is making this track. xD

ClaRago: Listened to this one several times. The composition has a good arc and the groove is strong. The vocal sample reminds of Carl Sagan for some reason.

beanpole: Dunno if you remember an entry you made many years ago that went like "I wanna live under the sea, but Neptune's got a contract out on me..." that still gets stuck in my head sometimes!! This entry is equally catchy.

Cheers all.

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
5267 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:09 pm

milkshakeiii wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:52 pm

donkey tugger: I like the harmony and the guitar. Climactic section seems to work quite well, good build-up. Words are creeping me out a little bit, haha.
:hihi: I'm not really that miserable.. :D

ClaRago
KVRist
452 posts since 1 Dec, 2011

Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:51 am

Thanks, Mr Natural for the nice words.
Thank too milkshakeiii for taking the time to comment. The voice samples are me mumbling in my SM58 mike which I forgot to mention.

Saffran
KVRist
121 posts since 20 Oct, 2018

Post Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:15 am

Good songs everyone!
If you are curious about how a song from me would sound like and how my singing skills are, i'm sorry to say that i can't produce a song in time for this competition.
I wrote a bluessong with lyrics 30 years ago but it isn't easy to get things sounding as you had in mind when you're a noob like me.
On that i got news about my house owner legally can demand 40% more in rent. The government lowered the pensions with 40%.
So...that too make it hard to relax and be creative.
I'll keep at it but probably in a slower pace. Have to think of ways to avoid eviction and homelessness.
I'll make a normal topic of it when it's done.

Yuroun
KVRist
390 posts since 3 Feb, 2007 from Netherlands, Roermond

Post Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:43 am

Hi Guys. I can't make it this month. I started on a track, but don't find any time and inspiration to finish it. Sorry :-(

per99
KVRist
100 posts since 5 Oct, 2017 from Närförort söder

Post Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:33 pm

Hello everybody,

not sure if I will be able to get my submission ready until Monday. (Which makes me feel a little bit stupid, since I think it was me who suggested this blue theme, and 4.30 minutes.)

Anyway, one reason for this shortage of time is a collaboration on Kompoz. Feel free to comment or just ignore this track, since it's not a part of this competition. I wrote the song a couple of years ago, and now it's a collaboration where Tbase has contributed with much time and efforts. He also managed to involve offthewall and Pstruh69. You can listen to the result here:

https://www.kompoz.com/music/collaborat ... ile/904222
To be is to do — Socrates.
To do is to be — Jean-Paul Sartre.
Do be do be do — Frank Sinatra.

The Noodlist
KVRian
536 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from Dingleborough UK

Post Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:48 pm

Just dropped off my entry, it has timing and tuning issues, finger drums and reluctant vocals. Never mind, they only can get better, surely. :roll:
Less VST lust and more music making.
Hardware emulation list. I don't really need anymore effects, I need to learn how to use those I already have.

Return to “Music Cafe”