How do you like this Albino3 Skin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FK everyone, make it look how you like it. let them use the original if they don't.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I think it's really cool. I like the darker grey border. And I'm not really into red but the gray kind of softens it which is cool. Makes it more pleasing to the eye.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Pull down the strength of the red displays and increase the size of the gui. The rest, do what you wanted to do to make it all pretty.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Like i said, the dark grey border around the screenshot is not actually part of the UI, its just for contrast should the screenshot be displayed against a white or almost white background. And i while i could technically make the UI larger it would be pointless to do so since i cannot alter item sizes and/or their positions. (I.e. all controls and readouts can only be where they are now and their dimensions cannot be changed either unless one had access to the UI definition file which contains the item sizes and positions.) What i could certainly do is tone down the reds, (to be honest i find it a bit strong myself), but then they would of course look a lot different than the waveform displays (whose color is hardcoded and therefore cant be altered by me) and also the red readout font, which can only be toggled between dark red, light red, and white. But anyhow, i will see if i can come up with something thats acceptable. Thanks for the responses.

codec_spurt wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:56 am I tried having a go at this one. Didn't get very far at all.

This is a real odd ball job. It's not one, it's not the other.
So you know my pain, eh? :D

Like i said in the P.S. in one of my previous posts, this thing is like a frickin onion. Layers upon layers upon layers. Never seen anything like it. For example there is stuff on one background image but not on the other. See screenshot. The green is BG1, the red portions are BG2, i.e. these portions are not present on BG1. You can also see how part of some stuff has to be on the BGs while the rest has to be on another image. (The Oscillator 1/2 and Envelopes labels for instance.) Whatever is still white are the first layers over the main BGs, but there is more stuff that goes on these. Basically you have main BGs, then main section BGs, then all the stuff that goes on the main section BGs, and yet more stuff that goes on these. (Like the Spread knobs for instance, they are another individual layer because they need to be made invisible when Noise or Audio Input are selected.) I guess i wouldnt be lying if i said that this is the most complex UI i ever tackled, plus i think it has the most individual images i ever had to deal with too. (122 total, 118 used, 4 unused.) At first i was kinda put off by all this complexity myself, but then i bit the bullet and just did it. God knows it was a lot of work merely determining all the margins and positions, but now im glad that i did.

click for fullsize

I love it and I think it's perfect. Why? I've seen lots of people try to use red in a GUI and it just looks disgusting, with no thought as far as usability is concerned. When I look at this GUI, everything is clear to me. Even the fonts used are nice and sharp and crisp and easy to spot when quickly looking for one of the parameters to edit. That's not easy to achieve when using red 4 fonts. The dark gray border does exactly what it's supposed to do because it puts the focus on the center of the plugin. This is of course my opinion but I will tell you this I am very picky when it comes to GUI's. If I used Albino, I would definitely make this my default skin because of the streamlined appearance and high usability factor. Don't be discouraged, you have a knack for this.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

layzer wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:22 am FK everyone, make it look how you like it. let them use the original if they don't.
Did you miss the thread title "How do you like this Albino 3 skin" ?

An open question like that is guaranteed to generate opinions. :wink:

Anyway I'm a huge fan of ENV1's work and this skin is no exception. Looking forward to seeing the final version. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:52 pm
layzer wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:22 am FK everyone, make it look how you like it. let them use the original if they don't.
Did you miss the thread title "How do you like this Albino 3 skin" ?

An open question like that is guaranteed to generate opinions. :wink:
of course he missed it, he's a total prick

Orbit-50 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:35 pm I love it and I think it's perfect. Why? I've seen lots of people try to use red in a GUI and it just looks disgusting, with no thought as far as usability is concerned. When I look at this GUI, everything is clear to me. Even the fonts used are nice and sharp and crisp and easy to spot when quickly looking for one of the parameters to edit. That's not easy to achieve when using red 4 fonts. The dark gray border does exactly what it's supposed to do because it puts the focus on the center of the plugin. This is of course my opinion but I will tell you this I am very picky when it comes to GUI's. If I used Albino, I would definitely make this my default skin because of the streamlined appearance and high usability factor. Don't be discouraged, you have a knack for this.
Thank you, thats nice of you to say.

And i agree 100%, red on white (and even grey) is problematic to say the least. Personally i dont like it and would never use it unless it cannot be avoided as is the case here.

(In fact what i really wanted to do is a black skin with blue instead of red, similar to the one i made for z3ta+. It would have worked too as far as the textual (or numerical, rather) readouts are concerned because they can be toggled to a more neutral white, but the hardcoded red waveform displays put the kibosh on it.)

Teksonik wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:52 pm Looking forward to seeing the final version. :tu:
Hi Tek, how are you doing.

Im aiming for next weekend, so provided nothing comes up it will be available very soon.

ENV1 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:19 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:52 pm Looking forward to seeing the final version. :tu:
Hi Tek, how are you doing.

Im aiming for next weekend, so provided nothing comes up it will be available very soon.
Cool ! Then maybe you can start work on that killer Dune 3 skin ? :hihi:

(hey an old man can dream can't he ?) :D

Too bad Peter and Rob couldn't have come to some agreement to keep Albino alive back in the day. Now that Linplug is no more and Albino is no longer for sale anywhere it would be nice if whoever owns the rights would set it free....once again just an old man's dream....... :?

(I own Predator 2 and Blue 2. Great synths but Albino still has its place).
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Looking forward to it. I love your work :tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Teksonik wrote:

Well, if Richard ever releases a CM version like he did with DUNE i would probably give it a shot. As far as i know the UI resources are all externalized since D2 (i.e. outside the DLL), so it would probably be fun too because skinning work is really more interesting when you have full control over everything and therefore the whole layout.

Teksonik wrote:Too bad Peter and Rob couldn't have come to some agreement to keep Albino alive back in the day. Now that Linplug is no more and Albino is no longer for sale anywhere it would be nice if whoever owns the rights would set it free....once again just an old man's dream....... :?
Not sure how much there is in it for a dev when they do that, but what is always nice is when they make an old plugin magware, like for instance Cakewalk did with z3ta+ and Rapture. Its good for the mag because it attracts readers, it may be good for the dev because they might get a few bucks out of it they otherwise wouldnt have gotten, and of course its good for the users because they often get a solid piece of gear for the price of a burger + beverage. (And i would definitely classify Albino as such.) But as youve said, in this particular case there are 2 parties involved who dont exactly seem to be friends anymore, so in all likelihood Albinos fate is sealed.

Halonmusic wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:42 pm Looking forward to it. I love your work :tu:
Thank you.

Like i said, if nothing comes up i should have everything finished by Sat or Sun.

ENV1 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:42 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:42 pm Looking forward to it. I love your work :tu:
Thank you.

Like i said, if nothing comes up i should have everything finished by Sat or Sun.
Cool :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

ENV1 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:40 pm
Teksonik wrote:

Well, if Richard ever releases a CM version like he did with DUNE i would probably give it a shot. As far as i know the UI resources are all externalized since D2 (i.e. outside the DLL), so it would probably be fun too because skinning work is really more interesting when you have full control over everything and therefore the whole layout.
l
you can do it using the demo version

im sure if Rich liked it he might even give you an nfr version :wink:

Return to “Instruments”