Signs Of You (kinda funky jazz stuff)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

Here's a link to one of my (forgotten) compositions made in 2007, and would like to know how you felt about let's say the music and mixing mastering.

All done with analog equipment and played in re recordings as i play all instruments exept the drums on this one.
Still, each instrument was recorded live - just to keep some fresh air in it... drums and rythm guitar were both live.

Mostly no EQs and no compression at all. Just a few parallel compression to add a bit more presence to each instruments with a very large attack in order to keep transients "alive" and i always limit around -3dB on climax. Never more. Just to add the feel of the compressor's tubes on the overall sound.
The rythm guitar sounds quite compressed because at the time i was using compressor on my multi effect unit, wich isn't the case anymore. I kept that rythm guitar in the tune instead of playing it again because it was recorded with the drums.
... Youth compressing misstakes ... :roll:

Hope you'll dig it :phones: :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/domi-sakurazawa/ ... f-you-jazz
Last edited by nicetrack on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

post to erase cuz i edited first one

I really enjoy this and it brings back memories, from '96-'06 I was a freelance bassist playing a lot of funky jazz. It's tight but not smooth (that's a compliment) and it's catchy! I like the stops/starts, and on my work computer feeding semi-decent speakers I can hear everything top to bottom. Compressed rhythm guitar is not a problem to me as it's consistent with the style. One of the things about playing (almost) everything yourself is you know what's coming so you can actually make it sound more spontaneous, or like people jamming.

Only thing I wished for is maybe some sort of harmonic change somewhere, but like any good funky music with a persistent groove that's not actually necessary, and the breaks add enough variety. I'm now following you on SoundCloud, interested in hearing your other stuff.

Hi
Thank you very much for taking that time to write a comment.
Yeah mabe some hatmonic changes might have done the job better. I totally agree with that.
I will be checking your SC too.

Btw you are so right about that point when playing almost everything. When hearing the result when all was recorded i also though about it. :hihi:

About compression, now i can't help thinking what Bruce Swedien said when he says "compression is for kids" :o
And after that my time spent with Al Schmitt did not help either :D
They have changed my use of compressors for ever.
The funniest is it took me years before i realized Al did the rec & mix process of all these records that i have.

Well anyway, thank you for your time.
Now's my turn to spend some time here and listen to some stuff

Great performance(s), and a terrific, clear and warm sounding mix. Just the job on a cold, January evening.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:01 pm Great performance(s), and a terrific, clear and warm sounding mix. Just the job on a cold, January evening.

Good work :)
yes thank you very much Seismic... i m trying to do my best for the mixing & mastering parts. I want and need to find my way to make those sound good.
Last edited by nicetrack on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I wish i had more time free to listen to other stuff but as i am on 4 differents projets + family life i do not have a minute for me right now.
But ill take some time to listen to stuff ans make returns asap

Enjoyed this. A lot going on, but you've retained clarity and separation. Well done.
P.S. I know all about lack of time for fun stuff :(
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Hello Folderol
thank you very much for that time you took
... yeah it's a big rush here in order to finish tracks and albums ...

Good playing and good sound.

Hey, thank you very much JCJR

Return to “Music Cafe”