Arché : Physical Modelling String Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's pretty damn impressive sounding and great price too! Hopefully it pairs up great with MPE controllers.

I don't often use physical modeling synths but wow!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:30 pm That's pretty damn impressive sounding and great price too! Hopefully it pairs up great with MPE controllers.
If it's made for Touché it's got to - looks amazing - I know there's also the SWAM stuff but tbh they have priced themselves beyond my reach

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:30 pm That's pretty damn impressive sounding and great price too! Hopefully it pairs up great with MPE controllers.
+1

It sounds good! But it's quite limited relative to the SWAM products. According to the demo videos and user guide, it seems like this VST can only do a few basic styles of playing rather than all the myriad sounds and effects that the SWAM ones can do. But for that price, it's quite tempting.

Expressive E wrote: These three new software instruments are available for purchase exclusively on Expressive E’s website. The complete Arché Collection retails for 120€/$, with individual instruments available for 49€/$ each.
sounds good , true . for me lets see when its available or when they show more .

looks like the prices are very reasonable .

twitewhite wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:03 pm It sounds good! But it's quite limited relative to the SWAM products. According to the demo videos and user guide, it seems like this VST can only do a few basic styles of playing rather than all the myriad sounds and effects that the SWAM ones can do. But for that price, it's quite tempting.
I think the same. Not really much to hear (and judge) in the demos but so far SWAM and also free tools like Serenade 3 or apps like Finger Fiddle seems to offer a lot more possibilities for different articulations and more ways to morph sounds really. But maybe i‘m wrong.
The too much (bad) reverb here also seems to mask too much here.
I‘m interested but this demos are more of a weak presentation for the usual big marketing words.
Edit: After reading the manual i think it even is not cheap for what it does. Really limited articulations and what about pressure for bow and things like sul pont via going closer to the bridge etc. Let´s see of course more but so far i´m underwhelmed.
Last edited by Cinebient on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think these sound quite good judging from the videos. However if you look at the interface it's unfortuante that there really aren't any ways to alter the sound in real time except for vibrato and expression. I would have hoped for a few real time controls like bow position for example. Embertone even models that in their sampled violin. Swam does have quite a few controls like this.

You can get the three instruments for the price of just the SWAM violin though. So yeah, may be more limited, but this is very promising for such early days and at a great price. I'll definitely be checking these out soon.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:53 pm I think these sound quite good judging from the videos. However if you look at the interface it's unfortuante that there really aren't any ways to alter the sound in real time except for vibrato and expression. I would have hoped for a few real time controls like bow position for example. Embertone even models that in their sampled violin. Swam does have quite a few controls like this.
Even the vibrato looks like a usual LFO instead of realtime. Tremolo is also an articulation to choose as preset? Why not play all articulations in realtime from one set. So it use kind of keyswitching/preset change to change articulations. I would want to morph articulations in real time.
This is really nothing groundbreaking here so far. So far even one of the most limited physical modeling strings i heard yet. Sorry, but with such big words in the description like "Arché simulates the physics of a real bow striking real strings in painstaking detail, leading to a level of realism that has never been heard before in simulated string instruments, played with a keyboard interface" i really expect MUCH more here.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:56 pm You can get the three instruments for the price of just the SWAM violin though. So yeah, may be more limited, but this is very promising for such early days and at a great price. I'll definitely be checking these out soon.
Maybe true but if free tools sounds better and are more versatile i wonder when they show the real magic of these. The demos are really bad.

Really bad? Granted, I only listened to the YouTube video on my iPad and thought even there they sounded a bit synthetic, but I was still impressed. Didn't delve deep into articulations/keyswitching or features yet but that will come in due time. Anyway, I wouldn't describe that as very bad or any kind of bad personally. Then again, I'm not a string player nor do I use them very often so I may not have the highest standards, but I was impressed at the quality to price ratio. Seemed like a great product for someone like me.

Cinebient wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:00 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:53 pm I think these sound quite good judging from the videos. However if you look at the interface it's unfortuante that there really aren't any ways to alter the sound in real time except for vibrato and expression. I would have hoped for a few real time controls like bow position for example. Embertone even models that in their sampled violin. Swam does have quite a few controls like this.
Even the vibrato looks like a usual LFO instead of realtime.
Oh fake vibrato is no good :(

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:10 pm Really bad? Granted, I only listened to the YouTube video on my iPad and thought even there they sounded a bit synthetic, but I was still impressed. Didn't delve deep into articulations/keyswitching or features yet but that will come in due time. Anyway, I wouldn't describe that as very bad or any kind of bad personally. Then again, I'm not a string player nor do I use them very often so I may not have the highest standards, but I was impressed at the quality to price ratio. Seemed like a great product for someone like me.
Oh i mean the string sounds itself are really nice but in terms of expressive playing and real-time morphing, i expect from a physical modeling tool, seems not there. Maybe even not possible? It sounds and looks more like kind of keyswitching. But for that i have much better sounding sample libraries.
I want to change pressure for bow and distance from the bridge and morph smoothly from a sul pont tremolo to a flautando sustain or so. Then change it just to a staccato into a sul pont spiccatissimo and whatver. I also like to use these tools for FX where i really can slowly move the bow and slightly add pressure to get really slow into a wonderful scratchy sound. What about portamento and so on? That is what i would use a physical modeling tool for. But maybe it is possible and the demos are just a little tiny teaser.
But from the manual i do not see it really happen.

Return to “Instruments”