What are your favorite software modulars for audio rate modulations?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There are a bunch of software modular synths these days. There are too many to test as modulars take time to explore.

So I'm interested to hear people impressions regarding sound quality of the various offerings. In particular how are the audio rate modulations, Filter quality, Sonic flexibility of Osc types?

I'm not concerned how 'analog' it sounds. My baseline is Bazille which has a very high sound quality, plenty of character and is not emulating analog.

Lately I've spent most time with VeeSeeVST (basically VCV Modular in VST plugin format).

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=507216

It's awesome, especially if your computer can handle the larger oversampling options.

If you want a quick overview of what the install of VeeSeeVST comes with then this is a nice link:

https://mi-rack.github.io/catalog/gallery/

Almost everything on that list is included in the install.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Well, not a surprise to you probably, but Bitwig does pretty well in this regard, I've been happy :)

Reaktor? :)

I like messing about with Reaktor blocks. :D
:borg:

Reaktor Blocks sounds good for sure... but I find it annoying to work with. Every time you change the Blocks arrangement, you have created a new Ensemble. The workflow with Ensembles and Presets is too clunky for me. I eventually just stopped using it.

That is why I was interested in other modular synths and the quality of audio rate modulations.

The new Bitwig modular Grid looks rather impressive. How it will sound remains to be seen.

I wonder how Scope modular IV is holding up compared to the modern stuff these days? http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1373&lg=en
:borg:

SynthEdit, because it supports audio-rate modulation of practically everything, plus oversampling of everything (including control signals).
Disclaimer: I may be biased ;)

Cherry Audio 'Voltage Modular'. Three significant updates {and several free modules} since I got it at the beginning of the month. Best $100 I've spent all year. :wink:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 am Cherry Audio 'Voltage Modular'. Three significant updates {and several free modules} since I got it at the beginning of the month. Best $100 I've spent all year. :wink:
Have you compared it to other software modulars for audio rate modulations?

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:14 am
Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 am Cherry Audio 'Voltage Modular'. Three significant updates {and several free modules} since I got it at the beginning of the month. Best $100 I've spent all year. :wink:
Not side-by-side, but it sounds good to me, particularly with the PSP effects bundle, which I will be buying on the 1st of the month. And it plays well with my (albeit modest) eurorack via several Roland Aira Fx units, and with loading samples in the new samplers, and with hosting/modulating Vsts. I will be exploring Bitwig also, as I just picked-up the 8-track version in CM magazine (first one I've bought in ages, for just that purpose), as the matrix/modularity, and the sampler capabilities/features, look fantastic.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:46 am
pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:14 am
Not side-by-side, but it sounds good to me, particularly with the PSP effects bundle, which I will be buying on the 1st of the month. And it plays well with my (albeit modest) eurorack via several Roland Aira Fx units, and with loading samples in the new samplers, and with hosting/modulating Vsts. I will be exploring Bitwig also, as I just picked-up the 8-track version in CM magazine (first one I've bought in ages, for just that purpose), as the matrix/modularity, and the sampler capabilities/features, look fantastic.
Thanks for the feedback!

Voltage Modular's single worst feature in my opinion was the sound quality. Didn't sound at all good to me and was the sole reason I didn't purchase it. To my ears it's basic sound quality (audio rate modulation of things) was extremely lacking compared to Reaktor and VeeSeeVST (especially when the latter is properly oversampled).

So yeah, in my opinion Voltage Modular really loses in this regard, big time.

bmanic wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:42 pm Voltage Modular's single worst feature in my opinion was the sound quality. Didn't sound at all good to me and was the sole reason I didn't purchase it. To my ears it's basic sound quality (audio rate modulation of things) was extremely lacking compared to Reaktor and VeeSeeVST (especially when the latter is properly oversampled).

So yeah, in my opinion Voltage Modular really loses in this regard, big time.
Thanks for the feedback

I have not tried VCV yet... so it has oversampling options? and when used you like the quality of its audio rate modulations?

No, I don't think VCV has oversampling options.. but VeeSeeVST does. I've always only been talking about VeeSeeVST. That's the one I'm using and have absolutely no plans at the moment to go with VCV instead as I find VeeSeeVST much better.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”