Steep Filters?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I see some people irl and Youtube using very steep filters (48dB and steeper). Those usually sound weird to me, what do you people use them for? Common cutting? Specialized cases? Something else?

I tend to use them for surgical stuff—lopping off troublesome bands, or cutting out stuff from side-chained effects—or for sound design nonsense where i'm stitching together different layers of sound, sort of 'multiband style'

the 'Chebyshev'-
is the steepest, and also characterful under res

Elliptical/Cauer are the steepest, rare in the audio world but ya do find them occasionally in the audio analog world, like the M/S bass-cut filter on some vinyl disc-cutting lathes. Steepest I've ever used is 48dB/Oct(butterworth type). And yes they do sound weird, but that is the fun sometimes.

Had a really dull sounding snare, the body sound was good but no snap and no amount of EQ and compression gave me what I wanted so I triggered another snare sample with DrumXchanger on another track and just cut out everything under ~900Hz, worked like a charm. Just remember to check phase if doing this. Also fun is to use on vocals, bus some to a send and make a steep bandpass then into delay, gives it a "telephone-delay" type sound which I kinda like if you're only delaying a couple of words in a line.

I love steep filters for band passing or "pocketing" instruments. Sure it doesn't sound natural but if you don't want the hihat and the snare to be completely separated then steep filters can really work.

Ichad.c wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:10 pm Elliptical/Cauer are the steepest
hey thanks, noted
Do these have ripples, half band peaks, distorsion etc. of any kind?

nix808 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:30 am
Ichad.c wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:10 pm Elliptical/Cauer are the steepest
hey thanks, noted
Do these have ripples, half band peaks, distorsion etc. of any kind?
Ripples yes but I highly doubt that they distort, in colloquial terms Elliptical filters fall under the "scientific/engineering filters" category with very stringent mathematical definitions(properties), they are only used when their properties are strictly necessary, I've never seen a Voltage/Current controlled one(user adjustable) in analog, they are used in a set and forget manner.

Getting back to the vinyl lathe example, they didn't use elliptical bass cut filters in the Mid-Side Matrix because it sounded good, they used it because they had no other choice -> too much bass on the side can either mess up the master or break the writing/cutting heads/needles. The ripples and the wavey phase response actually messes up the stereo image in the *entire* audio range.

That being said, they are fun and useful for sound design and mixing.

Just a pic to see some of the different types:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_ ... order5.svg

Thanks!
I can remember the shape for sure,
type 2 Cheby is cool too, hadn't seen it before

It's interesting how sacrifices(ripples) become apparent when asking for the most steepness

Bifilter 2 from Tone2 has eliptical filters , and they are awesome for steep cuts.

Also the hi and low pass in DMGAudio's EQUality can be set mega steep too. Very surgical.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html
RS-Met EngineersFilter (included as 64-bit in ToolChain)

nix808 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:44 am Thanks!
I can remember the shape for sure,
type 2 Cheby is cool too, hadn't seen it before

It's interesting how sacrifices(ripples) become apparent when asking for the most steepness
Those are in TDR NOVA btw.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

I read "sheep filters" at first and was slightly irritated...

The Infamous "RUBBERFILTER" VST .

will cut frequencies with upto 384 dB/Oct
as described here...

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/rubber ... tian_budde

Unbelievably FREE.

Get it here...

http://www.pcjv.de/vst-plugins/effect-plugins/

It is amazing. Been around for ages.
And needs an update!

Heri Mkocha

I fell off a steep filter once and no one could hear me call for help

Return to “Effects”