Fragile Gods - "Cold Comfort" (four track EP released)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Frantz
KVRAF
4975 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:57 pm

experimental.crow wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:18 pm
well made ...
another quality effort on your part ...
Thank you, sir!

Frantz
KVRAF

Re: Fragile Gods - "Cold Comfort"

Post Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:11 am

silenthill2006 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:18 am
I really enjoyed it. I liked the call and response with the male and female voices. I can see this being in a the credits of a movie or even a music video. Nice job!
Thanks Devin! I appreciate the feedback.

Frantz
KVRAF

Post Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:59 pm

Allomerus wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:13 pm
Quality 80s track with all the requisite elements.
Enjoyed it!
Well done.
:)
Thank you Mr. Wegner. :)

Frantz
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:12 pm

sjm wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:57 am
Listened, liked, came back for more.

I think the vocals are fine in the verses, but you could separate them more in the chorus.
Thanks sjm! The video contains a newer mix with some minor tweaks to the chorus vox.

an-electric-heart
KVRAF
1640 posts since 13 Jun, 2008 from Napier,New Zealand

Re: Fragile Gods - "Cold Comfort" (video added on Dec 18)

Post Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:25 am

Cool!... :dog: :hihi:

I listened on my laptop speakers a couple of days ago, and didn't want to comment then, but just now listened on my reference monitors and can honestly say that it sounds good to me! The song as far as writing, the singing, and the mix... all good, I really can't think of anything to critique.

Nothing wrong with the vocals in the chorus either (maybe you've changed it since those comments were made). In theory, the male and female voices should be fine dead in the centre, because your voices couldn't be more different!

I'd probably put a lot of plate reverb on the male vocal... but then everybody would moan about the plate reverb on the vocals. :hihi: I truly believe that there are many "right ways" to mix a song, two people could mix the same song completely differently, yet they'd both be as right as each other.

Oh, and I immediately thought of the soundtrack from the movie Drive... so that's another lil' bonus. :clap:

Frantz
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:25 pm

fastlanephil wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:24 pm
Nice tune! Well done.

It does sound like post Spiders D.Bowie. The female vocalist seemed to have a nice country style voice in her solo.

:tu:
Thanks Phil! Yes, I do get a lot of comparisons to Mr. Bowie.

I guess Aika is a country gal from the Philipines? :)

Frantz
KVRAF

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:03 pm

layzer wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:36 pm
ahhh electro-blues. i'm diggin it. takes me back to that GF that
came and went. no mix issues that i can hear. it sounds great. :tu:
Electro-blues is a cool description. Glad you didn't hear issues with the mix. Thanks for checking this out Layzer. :)

In The Mix
KVRist
211 posts since 5 Jun, 2017 from Los Angeles

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:34 am

Good work Frantz. I would've liked for the drums to stop for contrast for little bit. It sounds great nonetheless.

Frantz
KVRAF

Post Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:34 am

justin3am wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:49 pm
Well written and great sounds. I felt like the vocals were a little unbalanced from the rest of the mix when I started listening on laptop speakers but when I switched to headphones, they blended more nicely. Kinda the nature of laptop speakers to accentuate the frequency ranges which are dominant in human voice but it's weird how it kinda made the rest of the track sound more distant.
I intended the vocals during the verses to be upfront. I can imagine it might sound unbalanced on laptop speakers.

Thanks for your feedback Justin. :)

Bombadil
KVRAF
2671 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Far From the Twisted Reach of Crazy Sorrow

Post Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:17 am

Very well done. Sorry, you sound like Bowie. I wish I did. :P
“We're an Anarcho-Syndicalist commune”
Dennis

Frantz
KVRAF

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:20 pm

jackoo wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 am
I enjoyed this quite a bit!
Top notch synth sounds as usual. The female vocals are quite a nice addition to your usual tracks :)

Congrats!
Thanks very much for listening and commenting. :)

] Peter:H [
KVRian
688 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Nice...
Only thing I would recommend: The parts where the voices are doubled they somehow create some resonances. Probably they only some EQ...or panning like one voice left, other right. Overall I think there is a mid overemphasize around 1 - 2k, just guessing?

Frantz
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Local Man wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:56 am
I love the back and forth with the female vocalist. Very complimentary voices. I feel like there is not enough of that sort of thing in pop music.
I think her singing provides a nice contrast to my growling. :hihi:

Thanks for your feedback, sir.

folderol
KVRAF
4775 posts since 5 Aug, 2006 from UK - Here!

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:20 am

This works just fine for me (including the Vid). Very 80s but I don't see it as particularly Bowie-like.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)

Frantz
KVRAF

Post Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:46 am

an-electric-heart wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:25 am
Cool!... :dog: :hihi:

I listened on my laptop speakers a couple of days ago, and didn't want to comment then, but just now listened on my reference monitors and can honestly say that it sounds good to me! The song as far as writing, the singing, and the mix... all good, I really can't think of anything to critique.

Nothing wrong with the vocals in the chorus either (maybe you've changed it since those comments were made). In theory, the male and female voices should be fine dead in the centre, because your voices couldn't be more different!

I'd probably put a lot of plate reverb on the male vocal... but then everybody would moan about the plate reverb on the vocals. :hihi: I truly believe that there are many "right ways" to mix a song, two people could mix the same song completely differently, yet they'd both be as right as each other.

Oh, and I immediately thought of the soundtrack from the movie Drive... so that's another lil' bonus. :clap:

Thanks for your detailed comments regarding the song and the mix.

I am glad the chorus worked for you. I think there is still room for improvement but I felt like the mix was acceptable and decided to move on to other things like rebuilding my website, mastering an EP, and preparing to release it. A one-man band's work is never done. :help:

Return to “Music Cafe”