Making a Vocal Practice Setup

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
sacredmimi
KVRist
52 posts since 24 Feb, 2017

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:16 am

I have a lobby that's about 700 sq feet.

Currently, I have a monitor, Yamaha HS7, and Beta58A mic. I'd like to know what the ideal setup for vocal practice is.

Would I need an amp? Audio interface? Will I also need some sort of effects like reverb? Or would I be better off with one of those karaoke systems which has built-in reverb, but may not necessarily sound good?

Please help!

BertKoor
KVRAF
10921 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Re: Making a Vocal Practice Setup

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:20 am

You swapped your hs-8 for hs-7 ??

What do you plug the mic into? A mixer, audio interface, or what?

Active monitors don't need an amp, it's already integrated. Reverb would be nice... Can be done in your laptop or whatever.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

sacredmimi
KVRist
52 posts since 24 Feb, 2017

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:02 pm

BertKoor wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:20 am
You swapped your hs-8 for hs-7 ??

What do you plug the mic into? A mixer, audio interface, or what?

Active monitors don't need an amp, it's already integrated. Reverb would be nice... Can be done in your laptop or whatever.
Yeah HS8 caused trouble with the 2nd floor lessee. And too much bass booming sound. I dont have it connected with any. Just have the screen, speakers and mic.
I thought karaoke machines would be nice, but those would use built in reverbs that sound crap. And I see those use external amps. So I dont know what the ideal setup would be.

BertKoor
KVRAF
10921 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:14 pm

Well, at least you need something inbetween the mic and (powered) speakers. I'd suggest a mixer with built-in effects. You want to mix in the backing track as well I suppose. If the built-in effects suck, you can add a multi-fx processor. Do make sure the mixer has aux sends for that, plus an extra channel to mix it in again.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”