Roland Cloud CPU usage in 2019?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You should use the RT CPU measurement from Reaper's Performance panel, not from that bottom area you mention in step 5. Right click to enable to option to display that measurement if it's not enabled (looks like it isn't since those aren't the actual numbers that are important).

You will then also see that RT CPU stays constant for Roland plugins no matter how many voices you play. And this is bad, which means you can load less plugins because they drain the main audio thread of your DAW all the time even if they're silent. That's just bad design.

I also tried the roland cloud test abo for two weeks. First I noticed that my sh-101 is on a newer version. I bought the sh-101 some years ago and I am only on 1.07 (2016) and on cloud they are on 1.13 - they have fixed the mouse behaviour of tweaking knobs. changing parameters by mouse is very uncomfortable on my version. Why don't they offer the newest version to people who have bought the plugin ??? Get only cloud subscribers the newest version and the real owners are abondaned ?

I have a i7 5960x 8 Core intel clocked to 4,5 Ghz. I have with any single roland around 10 Percent CPU Consumption on Ableton 10.06 and it increases only minimal if I add some more roland plugins (multi core?!).
If I load all 11 Roland softsynths the CPU consumtion increases to 30% on background, without playing anything. If I look into the consumtion of every cpu core- it is around 20-25% for every core. If I play any of these synths, the cpu ussage increases 1-2 Percent, also if i play some chords on pads on jupiter 8. If I play all 11 plugins (2 drums and 9 synths) with chords, basses in a song, the consumption only increases to 35 -37 Percent (--> 7 Percent more between play and stop). That is much more than my big projects which have around 40 synths like omnishere, the legend and diva and some drum machines like stix + my effect chains. These projects have around 30% CPU consumption.
If I play a repro-5 on single-core, a poly pad chord sound can also increase to 40% cpu consumtion and decreases on multicore to 10percent...

So I think the Roland synths DON'T have a high CPU consumption, they could be compared to TAL. They have a high background consumption, so there is any effect signal chain working, maybe a maximizer. If you combine the Tal Juno or the bassline with the izotope maximizer or ozone8 in Low Latency you get a similiar sound and cpu usage.

Thanks guys, very interesting to read some opinions and cpu consumption tests!

I rebuild some sh101 and juno 106 with TAL Bassline and uno Lx and then i added a bx console e4000 to add on the eq more bass and hi freq, added a softube fet comp and the izotope maximizer in Low Latency.
I was able to rebuild a lot of patches with Tal and heard no difference in sound and behaviour. In some cases the roland extra ADSR envelope was missing to rebuild the exact patch.
The TAL plugins had together with my effect signal chain less cpu ussage than the roland plugin. Today I'll compare the arturia jup-8 and d16 909 / 808 clones.
The volume level in my daw also looked very identical, both are very often limited on 0db. So I am very sure that roland is using a similar effect chain of comp, eq and limiter to boost up the sound, like the louder is bether comparison.

sacer wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:40 amSo I am very sure that roland is using a similar effect chain of comp, eq and limiter to boost up the sound, like the louder is bether comparison.
I wouldn't be so sure.

There is also a comparison on Youtube for the Jupiter 8... Roland is great, but Arturia is very, very close (Diva sounded very different).

4damind wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:29 amThere is also a comparison on Youtube for the Jupiter 8... Roland is great, but Arturia is very, very close.
The main difference for me (easy to hear once you open the filters up there) is the Arturia is rather clamped in the highs, whereas the Roland is much more open and airy up there. That's the one thing that I instantly felt when trying the Roland for the first time, after using the Arturia for ages - it just felt "right" and much nicer up there...

for me on direct comparison betwen Tal and roland, the tal versions sounded very boring, less punchy and less analog compared to the roland plugs, but after the effect chain on Tal, they sounded equal and sometimes more punchy than the roland plugs.
btw. the 10 years older Arturia ProphetV is also very close to the repro-5, but on the filter you get the difference.

viva synth1 and charlatan! they don't make you pay to eat all your cpu!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

sacer wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:40 pm for me on direct comparison betwen Tal and roland, the tal versions sounded very boring, less punchy and less analog compared to the roland plugs, but after the effect chain on Tal, they sounded equal and sometimes more punchy than the roland plugs.
i've known this for a long time, which is why i consider mixing skills, skilled use of dynamics processors, good chorus, delays and reverbs more important than the instruments themselvs, free or pay.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:17 pm viva synth1 and charlatan! they don't make you pay to eat all your cpu!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
They also don't sound nearly as good :)

Return to “Instruments”