Electronic music

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
dupont
KVRian
714 posts since 23 Jun, 2007

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:23 am

Hello,

Please comment on these Minimal techno tracks.
Any suggestions welcomed.

Mainly done with Reaper.

https://soundcloud.com/user-204535128

User avatar
Vortifex
KVRian
1177 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Re: Electronic music

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:00 am

I had a quick listen to them all. I thought the best was Hidden Day. The late great Colin Faver once said the most important element in a techno track is the groove, and Hidden Day had a good groove.

I think Journey to Mars would have been much better without that off-beat bassline. The track overall reminded me of CJ Bolland's 4th Sign album. That section between 2:17 and 3:14 is pure techno, I would have played that at Knowledge back in the day.

bungle15
KVRer
19 posts since 4 Dec, 2015

Re: Electronic music

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:14 am

Too repetitive and boring.
Cut and paste, cut and paste.
The trouble today is music is rubbish and people have the tools to make great music.
This music just dumbs the nation down and the player!!!
:hyper:
Last edited by bungle15 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

dupont
KVRian
714 posts since 23 Jun, 2007

Re: Electronic music

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:17 am

bungle15 wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:14 am
Too repetative and boring
Cut and paste, cut and paste
The trouble today is music is rubbish and people have the tools to make great music.
This music just dumbs the nation down
Thanks, but please adapt your reply to the music genre. Techno is a repetative music based on patterns.

dupont
KVRian
714 posts since 23 Jun, 2007

Re: Electronic music

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:19 am

Vortifex wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:00 am
I had a quick listen to them all. I thought the best was Hidden Day. The late great Colin Faver once said the most important element in a techno track is the groove, and Hidden Day had a good groove.

I think Journey to Mars would have been much better without that off-beat bassline. The track overall reminded me of CJ Bolland's 4th Sign album. That section between 2:17 and 3:14 is pure techno, I would have played that at Knowledge back in the day.
Thanks, Hidden day is the last track I made, so I think I improve since the first uploaded !
I'll try to add more groove to my next tracks.

bungle15
KVRer
19 posts since 4 Dec, 2015

Re: Electronic music

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:42 am

Hi
This Techno stuff is a quick sell for the big money moguls because it has a fast turnover.
Of bands today --
The only techno stuff to me that works is Kraftwerk, because they use melodies.
The king Is JMJ or Jarre. LONDON DOCKLANDS CONCERT . Now that was music.

By the way your track quality is 100% the mix. I am not all doom and gloom.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
41882 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Electronic music

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:26 am

bungle15 wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:42 am
Hi
This Techno stuff is a quick sell for the big money moguls because it has a fast turnover.
Of bands today --
The only techno stuff to me that works is Kraftwerk, because they use melodies.
The king Is JMJ or Jarre. LONDON DOCKLANDS CONCERT . Now that was music.

By the way your track quality is 100% the mix. I am not all doom and gloom.
at least you admitted you dont know what techno is :tu:

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
14904 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Electronic music

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:49 am

My Feedback (Hidden Planet)

Music - 6
Instruments - 8
Performance - 7
Mix - 8

Overall - 7.25

Comments: It truly has become the world of hold your finger down pressing one key and there's my song. That aside, mix is a little hot for my tastes but not bad. Some kind of melody would have been nice but whatever. I'm not even sure this is exciting enough for people who just want a beat to dance to. I mean I've heard worse but this does very little for me and I love all genres of EDM.

User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
6409 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Re: Electronic music

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:50 am

yes, pretty loud, generic sounding stuff.
nothing like front-242: surprises around every corner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10UCrRMlj20
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

dupont
KVRian
714 posts since 23 Jun, 2007

Re: Electronic music

Post Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:08 am

Thanks for your comments, I'm not that bad for the after all !

dupont
KVRian
714 posts since 23 Jun, 2007

Re: Electronic music

Post Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:13 am

bungle15 wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:42 am
Hi
This Techno stuff is a quick sell for the big money moguls because it has a fast turnover.
Of bands today --
The only techno stuff to me that works is Kraftwerk, because they use melodies.
The king Is JMJ or Jarre. LONDON DOCKLANDS CONCERT . Now that was music.

By the way your track quality is 100% the mix. I am not all doom and gloom.
JMJ is French as me and he is famous for being one of the first artist to make electronic music. But is music can't be classified as techno.
I also don't think Kraftwerk music is techno.
I like there music but I have never heard there music in a free party or in a techno club in Belgium.

dupont
KVRian
714 posts since 23 Jun, 2007

Re: Electronic music

Post Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:31 am

dupont wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:13 am
bungle15 wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:42 am
Hi
This Techno stuff is a quick sell for the big money moguls because it has a fast turnover.
Of bands today --
The only techno stuff to me that works is Kraftwerk, because they use melodies.
The king Is JMJ or Jarre. LONDON DOCKLANDS CONCERT . Now that was music.

By the way your track quality is 100% the mix. I am not all doom and gloom.
JMJ is French as me and he is famous for being one of the first artist to make electronic music. But is music can't be classified as techno.
I also don't think Kraftwerk music is techno.
I like there music but I have never heard there music in a free party or in a techno club in Belgium.

:?: I don't understand the meaning of your sentence "By the way your track quality is 100% the mix. I am not all doom and gloom"

dupont
KVRian
714 posts since 23 Jun, 2007

Re: Electronic music

Post Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:34 am

wagtunes wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:49 am
My Feedback (Hidden Planet)

Music - 6
Instruments - 8
Performance - 7
Mix - 8

Overall - 7.25

Comments: It truly has become the world of hold your finger down pressing one key and there's my song. That aside, mix is a little hot for my tastes but not bad. Some kind of melody would have been nice but whatever. I'm not even sure this is exciting enough for people who just want a beat to dance to. I mean I've heard worse but this does very little for me and I love all genres of EDM.
7.25 :D :oops:

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
5002 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Re: Electronic music

Post Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:41 am

I listened to "Hidden Planet." I can see this going over well in a techno club. Hard edged with some small variations to keep things from getting too monotonous.

I think the mix could be better. In general, there is not enough bass and the mid-range tends to dominate. For example, that clangy sound at 1:02 has painful mids.

Return to β€œMusic Cafe”