Waves PRS SuperModels Amps, they rock!

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Bouroki
KVRist
295 posts since 16 Jun, 2013 from Morocco

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:17 am

I wouldn't blame Waves for the sound of the IRs. From one of the promo vids I remember they captured Paul's favorite cab+mic combinations that he said are always used to capture the amps in his studio.

But yeah, the quality of the sound/modeling of these amps really comes through when good external IRs are used.

bill45
KVRAF
2357 posts since 15 Jun, 2006

Re: Waves PRS SuperModels Amps, they rock!

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:59 am

cprompt wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:38 am
I saw the Glenn Fricker video with the blind shootout and subsequent vote between the Waves Archon, Fortin Nameless, something else I can't remember and a real amp, where it was revealed that the Waves Archon was the most popular. But when I tried it, it just didn't float my boat, and even the mighty Glenn Fricker couldn't persuade me otherwise. However, I wonder if it's down to the IRs that the Archon uses - I tried them in Recabinet with another ampsim and thought they sounded muffled and indistinct, so perhaps I should try the Archon again with better IRs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY54ivgY9HY

cprompt
KVRian
790 posts since 17 Nov, 2010 from UK

Post Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:24 am

Those Waves IRs sound pretty bad there. The amp comes to life with decent ones.

bill45
KVRAF
2357 posts since 15 Jun, 2006

Post Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:21 pm

cprompt wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:24 am
Those Waves IRs sound pretty bad there. The amp comes to life with decent ones.
True but the people who made that video sell IR's.Did they eq the waves IR's to make them sound bad?

simon.a.billington
KVRAF
1550 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:42 am

Actually, I find the Wave Its do the job for me. I must admit I don't have the guitar experiences everyone else has, but I know the sound I'm going after, often funk, jazz, soul, even a modern rock type vibe. The trick to it I found was blending complimentary IRs from Wave's selection.

I've yet to try third party, but I'm quite dubious about party that seems to be many guys DIY at home. I can't be guaranteed the IRs were taken with good mics, with good positioning, in a properly isolated environment. I really don't want the sound of any particular room in my IRs as much as possible, it limits my arrangement and mix options. So I certainly don't want to be paying for Its that I'm not happy with.

But that's me. I might be getting the wrong impression, though.

sleepcircle
KVRian
576 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Post Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:13 am

Simon.a.billington

If you want very good IRs, you can buy IRs of celestion speakers from the manufacturers themselves.

http://celestionplus.com/

They're all 96/24, with a bunch of different cabinet configurations and microphone types and positions. I'm using the "celestion greenback 1x2 open-back" cabinet with waves PRS V9 right now with the gain cranked up so that it just begins to distort, and it sounds great.

cprompt
KVRian

Post Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:15 am

I have loads of the Celestion IRs... I have loads of others too, but the Celestions are the best by far.

simon.a.billington
KVRAF

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:54 am

sleepcircle wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:13 am
Simon.a.billington

If you want very good IRs, you can buy IRs of celestion speakers from the manufacturers themselves.

http://celestionplus.com/

They're all 96/24, with a bunch of different cabinet configurations and microphone types and positions. I'm using the "celestion greenback 1x2 open-back" cabinet with waves PRS V9 right now with the gain cranked up so that it just begins to distort, and it sounds great.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Usually I'm quite happy with the stock, even so, I'll check them out. What makes Celestion speakers so coveted?? I've also heard of Lancaster, are they any good??

sleepcircle
KVRian
576 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:38 am

Celestion speaker cones have made it into a LOT of famous boxes/combos used by a lot of famous guitarists, for the past half a century. I've never heard of Lancaster myself, but that doesn't mean anything; I'm not an expert, right?—they could be big too.

cprompt
KVRian

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:56 am

So, Lancaster used to be Rosen Digital, who are a pretty big name in the IR circle. I have quite a few Rosen/Lancaster IRs and they are pretty good. I also have IRs from 3SigmaAudio, OwnHammer and quite a few others, and for the most part, they are also all very good.

And then we come to Celestion. I have around 10 or 12 of their IRs, and whilst they're not cheap, you can buy them in bundles which brings the price down. I picked up a bunch on boxing day just gone which worked out to £4 an IR which is very good value.

There are two reasons why i think the Celestion IRs are, without a doubt, the best on the market right now:

1. Having been in the speaker business for many years, they know how to mic up and record a speaker well. However they do it, it produces a clarity that nobody else gets near. It's almost like the difference between listening to a recording at 16 bits vs 12 bits.

2. Everyone else records a cabinet - a Marshall 1960A, a Mesa Oversized and so on. But Celestion wanted to capture the speaker, not the cabinet, so they built their own cabinets. This means that they have designed a cabinet which contributes very little sonically to the speaker's sound, while still doing what a cabinet has to do in order to get a speaker to sing. You get the speaker not the cabinet, basically.

I don't pretend to really understand all this properly. All I know is, I can pick out an ampsim like the Mericurall SS-11X and go through 20 or 30 IRs very quickly, comparing them. And the aforementioned Lancasters and 3SigmaAudios are great for sure. They capture the tone of the cabinet well. And then I load up one of the Celestions and it's on a whole new level. They sound richer and purer and cleaner. They are better balanced and just sound great. It's hard to explain.

I've rambled on, but that's the best answer I can give.

simon.a.billington
KVRAF

Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:44 am

cprompt wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:56 am
So, Lancaster used to be Rosen Digital, who are a pretty big name in the IR circle. I have quite a few Rosen/Lancaster IRs and they are pretty good. I also have IRs from 3SigmaAudio, OwnHammer and quite a few others, and for the most part, they are also all very good.

And then we come to Celestion. I have around 10 or 12 of their IRs, and whilst they're not cheap, you can buy them in bundles which brings the price down. I picked up a bunch on boxing day just gone which worked out to £4 an IR which is very good value.

There are two reasons why i think the Celestion IRs are, without a doubt, the best on the market right now:

1. Having been in the speaker business for many years, they know how to mic up and record a speaker well. However they do it, it produces a clarity that nobody else gets near. It's almost like the difference between listening to a recording at 16 bits vs 12 bits.

2. Everyone else records a cabinet - a Marshall 1960A, a Mesa Oversized and so on. But Celestion wanted to capture the speaker, not the cabinet, so they built their own cabinets. This means that they have designed a cabinet which contributes very little sonically to the speaker's sound, while still doing what a cabinet has to do in order to get a speaker to sing. You get the speaker not the cabinet, basically.

I don't pretend to really understand all this properly. All I know is, I can pick out an ampsim like the Mericurall SS-11X and go through 20 or 30 IRs very quickly, comparing them. And the aforementioned Lancasters and 3SigmaAudios are great for sure. They capture the tone of the cabinet well. And then I load up one of the Celestions and it's on a whole new level. They sound richer and purer and cleaner. They are better balanced and just sound great. It's hard to explain.

I've rambled on, but that's the best answer I can give.
It’s most curious. Personally I’d prefer the sound of a cabinet, the right cabinet. I think it’s necessary to get the iconic sound you maybe after.

That’s quite possibly why I’m content with the PRS IRs, because it’s more loyal to the amp. Well I am assuming the amps aren’t just heads, but even if they are, PRS finding several cabinets to model along with the amp is the next best thing. I am open to new ideas, however.

It would be interesting to see if Waves will up the ante and throw in a few more IRS in the very near future. I’m somewhat doubtful, but perhaps we can pressure them?!?

cprompt
KVRian

Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:59 am

simon.a.billington wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:44 am
It’s most curious. Personally I’d prefer the sound of a cabinet, the right cabinet. I think it’s necessary to get the iconic sound you maybe after.
Celestion heard you! They are offering cabinet emulations now (well, the Suhr ones to start with anyway which is probably better than the gajillion Marshalls and Mesas already out there).

https://www.celestionplus.com/product/s ... ollection/

simon.a.billington
KVRAF

Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:27 am

cprompt wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:59 am
simon.a.billington wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:44 am
Celestion heard you! They are offering cabinet emulations now (well, the Suhr ones to start with anyway which is probably better than the gajillion Marshalls and Mesas already out there).

https://www.celestionplus.com/product/s ... ollection/
Haha!!

A3ntar
KVRAF
2021 posts since 6 Sep, 2005

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:19 pm

Just a quick heads up, I am not using the default cabs that came with the PRS Archon, I am bypassing it and using Ownhammer IRs.

On another note, when I switch to my LP, the Archon did not shine as much with the hum-bucker as the single coil although it did still sound good, just not my favorite in this configuration.

Return to “Effects”