2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF
5925 posts since 5 Jul, 2001 from Just about .... there

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:14 pm

boxerdad wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:59 pm
Waiting delivery of a Steinway Model D sn 402534 :hihi:
dude .. jealous over here :tu:
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

pekbro
KVRAF
2420 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Re: 2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:30 pm

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:14 pm
boxerdad wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:59 pm
Waiting delivery of a Steinway Model D sn 402534 :hihi:
dude .. jealous over here :tu:
+1 A bit too much for my wallet to handle.

SJ_Digriz
KVRAF
5925 posts since 5 Jul, 2001 from Just about .... there

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:32 pm

I will get one from a college retrofit/touring/showcase auction some day. I've been close a couple of times. Just need stars/wallet to align.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

foosnark
KVRAF
4557 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:57 am

My QPAS arrived Saturday and it is f**king brilliant. I will never be into your basic resonant filter sweep (and I think other filters sound better at it than QPAS) but this one is perfect for adding a lot of animation to a sound, doing pinging that goes way beyond the basic "bonk" noises of the filters that are supposed to be really good at pinging, etc. There's a ton to explore with it.

I got my shipping notification for the ER-301 this morning, exactly when estimated. :party: I don't have notification yet for the case I ordered but it's supposed to be this week.

I've almost sold enough gear now to catch up with my budget. I think the first thing I'll pick up when I do is a Volca Modular -- I keep hearing such good things about it (and ignoring the demos from people who have no idea what to do with it :hihi:).

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
26807 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:33 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:13 am
Ordered a QuBit Nebulae V2 and some cards for the Z-DSP.
received. :hyper:
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

vurt
addled muppet weed
41863 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:13 am

koma fx in hand!
let the dual spring reverb noises commence!!! :ud:

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:38 am

need a serious move around :lol:
or some 3 meter cables :hihi:

gonna lose the bug i think, keep the table euro.
switch over to the right side for bug n friends.

can wait till tomorrow, making do with a bit of balancing while i check out the koma.
so far so good, that spring is lush!
a bigger tank than the doepfer, so gives a slightly different tone, and at full feedback gets nice n cray cray!
the pt delay is as crunchy as the bug :love:

so aside from my space issue, 100% happy :D

Touch The Universe
KVRAF
3573 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:12 am

Official, just picked up Neumann KH 120A monitrs for 900 a pair, excellent condition, used. 1020 total after tax and shipping. Not bad, saving $400 from new :)
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and Spire.
http://www.touch-the-universe.com/

Deep Purple
KVRian
794 posts since 9 Jan, 2015 from NY, NY

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:52 pm

I bought a Behringer Neutron a few weeks ago, but now want to buy more of their gear. Definitely looking at a Crave and an RD-808. Just wish they would provide a bit more detail on release dates and availability.
Sweet child in time...

diaper@ky
KVRist
229 posts since 29 Jul, 2014

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:15 am

Bought a Spare Physis K4 because nothing controls so many synths live with such ease.
When I had to repair the PBend I had to buy the whole 3 wheel assembly that took weeks to get here.
Now I have a pretty new one with every possible spare part or spare keyboard if any trouble comes up.
Things been rick solid for 4 years and I move it around and play the thing for hours everyday.

Bought Shreddage 3 and upgraded Zebra2 as I had time off to mess around with new stuff and repairs.
Looking forward to Moog 1 though.
1800 more bucks to go.

stanlea
KVRAF
4762 posts since 11 Feb, 2005 from Bordeaux France

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:34 pm

Motu 828ES here. Plus Architect. Plus PA custom 2x500w.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
10818 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:15 am

Connected my Beatstep Pro today and have fallen in love immediately. I've just been twisting pitch knobs at random and every pattern is usable. Contrast this with a PC where it's very easy to overthink and overplan. With hardware though, plug a synth into a sequencer, twist some knobs, job done.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

foosnark
KVRAF

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:59 am

My ER-301 showed up yesterday and I had 5 or 6 hours to play with it. So there's a software modular (that also happens to be a 6-track audio recorder) running in my hardware modular now and it's pretty glorious. In that short time while I was getting to learn the navigation firsthand (I've watched videos but hands-on is different) I built:

- a plucky phase modulation synth with a dubby delay -- which I drove 100% from a 3-line Teletype script over i2c (no patch cables except audio output).
- a thing that ring modulates an input and modulates its modulator timbre, which uses a skewed sine envelope that feeds back on itself to get all kinds of cool shapes. And then I switched from ring-modulating Plaits to ring-modulating an internal oscillator.
- a 2-Op FM synth that I can drop in anywhere, such as on top of itself to build an instant 4-Op FM synth.
- the start of an LPG, but it's not satisfying yet and is going to take some work to get right.
- a tempo-synced delay with a feedback loop that runs through a resonant filter that tracks pitch.

I haven't really gotten into its sampling/looping/granular capabilities at all yet, distortion, wavetable stuff, round-robin polyphony, nor checked out the custom units other people have built.

The weak points so far seem to be:

- Exponential FM seemed kind of... not great, compared to the E370 or analog VCOs. But to be fair I had accidentally stuck my modulator onto the wrong parameter and didn't spend a lot of time tweaking it, so maybe it deserves another chance. Linear FM and phase modulation though are awesome and easy to set up.

- The only reverb algo built in is Freeverb, and I'm sorry to say it sucks. But there's an Exact Convolution unit, extremely CPU-heavy but might be good for short reverbs (it's probably more for FIR). I might try building my own FDN though ;)

- Slightly slower to patch than just plugging in cables. But it's still pretty intuitive.

foosnark
KVRAF

Post Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:20 am

I sold enough gear to get my budget back into the black for 2019, so I went ahead and ordered a Volca Modular. :party:

My 16n Faderbank should be coming in today or tomorrow. My new modular case is due to ship this week (a little later than estimated) which is good, because the ER-301 is in an ergonomically bad spot at the moment.

I spent most of the weekend learning the ER-301 and have a pretty good feel for it now. I went ahead and put my Hertz Donut and Chronoblob up for sale. The things this module can do with delays and variations on them (dub loopers, granular etc.) are blowing me away, and it does dirty feedback loops as well as I could ever hope for.

But I don't think I'm really going to get a satisfying reverb out of it, so Erbe-Verb is the next thing on my list. :tu:

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:25 am

sounds like the 301is a good purchase then 8)
and yep the erbe is getting closer here.
going to sort out that soma lyra first, more of a pain with the ordering.
no next day delivery available. which freaks me out, because i dont know when i need to be up and in :scared:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”