Which VST Synths to Buy for EDM?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
dcl0
KVRer
3 posts since 26 Jan, 2014

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:42 pm

It really all depends on what sort of sound you are aiming for, but ultimately they will all do the job. What sort of "EDM" are you aiming towards because that's a pretty huge spectrum of sound?

I own all three and use them for different purposes but I will say that serum is more intuative and visual than the other two you mentioned so it might help you grasp things if your not familiar with synths.

Id suggest to just download the demos in any case and you'll get a feel for which one feels right. The full version of serum is also on splice for 9.99 a month(as a rent to own) if your not aware.

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
1628 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Re: Which VST Synths to Buy for EDM?

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:56 pm

Serum or Pigments.. You don't need many synths, just one versatile enough.

Synthmaster is also something to consider, but demo it first if it's for you.

Rommelaar
KVRist
188 posts since 12 Sep, 2013

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:06 am

The ones discussed in this forum. viewforum.php?f=1
i7-5960X,64GB RAM DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, Akai MAX49 & MPD226, Steinberg UR44 & CMC controllers
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Dorico 2.2, Rapid Composer, FL Studio 20.1

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
2978 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:31 am

If you could be more specific about your needs and preferences, we could give better advice.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJErmac
KVRian
744 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:54 am

I'm into EDM and think the very best are Avenger and Rapid. I also love Spire, Dune, Falcon and Thorn.

chk071
KVRAF
18871 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:10 am

Get Spire. It's my favourite for EDM type sounds. Punchy and pleasant sounding. There's also a gazillion of EDM Soundsets for it.

Spencer Maddox
KVRist
270 posts since 19 Oct, 2017

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:19 am

Serum is probably the Best of the 3 you mentioned. Now I love Sylenth1, It was one of the first VSTs i ever bought and I self Taught myself most Sound Design with it, so it holds a special place in my heart, but its not as flexible as Serum is. Serum is a Monster
And like you mentioned Massive is being replaced, Not until June however.

Now Speaking of Monsters I also Love UVI Falcon but that is pricey and NOT a good first synth. It's like learning to swim in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. I consider myself decently smart in Synthesis and I haven't even unlocked the Full Plugin yet as far as what one can accomplish with it. If you learned it however it Literally does almost everything.

Also Have you thought of some of the FL synths. I haven't used FL for songs In a bit, But I still actually have some of their Plugins on Mac like Sawer and Toxic. I used to Love using Sytris too and would pay up if they made a standalone Mac Version. Never got to Buy Harmor but many people love that synth too for its unique additive flavor. Just a few ideas. Most VST synths have trials so test up before bringing out the wallet.
More Espresso Less Depresso

dhleake
KVRer
8 posts since 9 Jan, 2018

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Sylenth, Serum, Spire. Tons of great EDM presets for all 3.
Nexus for rompler. Expansions are $60, but there are lods of pro quality out-of-the-box pro sounds with minimal to no tweaking required.
Avenger is very solid, but I sold it because I didn't have a place for it beside the other 4 mentioned above.

teilo
KVRist
240 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:30 pm

Wrong forum.
macOS | Ableton 10 | Bitwig 2.x | Reason 10
MPK249 | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | DSAudio all | All TAL synths | Komplete Ult. 11 | Serum | DUNE 2 | Arturia V 6 | Fabfilter Pro all | countless others

jpga
KVRist
132 posts since 15 Mar, 2009 from sweden

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:38 pm

Get Omnisphere 2

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF
2482 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Zebra will do 90% of any synth things you need. Then something a bit more strange like serum or komplete or an additive synth. Also look at microtonic or drumatic for drums.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

MogwaiBoy
KVRAF
3028 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:49 pm

Sylenth, Spire, Serum.

Massive, Hive, Omnisphere, Nexus, Dune and so on...

Vanderspank
KVRer
8 posts since 26 Feb, 2019

Post Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Might be an unpopular opinion, but, stick with one synth and try to master it. In the long run, I think you're better off being able to make unique sounds quickly and confidently in one synth, rather than using presets from multiple synths. Obviously there comes a point where you'll want to branch out, which is totally fine. But, it is probably in your best interest to learn how to use one synth extremely well first.

As far as versatility and relevancy moving forward in the EDM world, I'd say Serum is easily one of the smartest choices you can make at the moment.
Last edited by Vanderspank on Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071
KVRAF
18871 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:43 pm

OP never got back to this. As usual. :lol:

atmosone
KVRer
7 posts since 14 Jan, 2018

Post Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:49 pm

Serum for ease of use, Korg Legacy Collection for vintage vibes.

Return to “Effects”