Favorite Modular Brand ?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)

What's your favourite modular brand ?

2HP
4%
Buchla
8%
Doepfer
13%
Erica Synths
4%
Intellijel
4%
Make Noise
25%
Moog
4%
Mutable Instruments
33%
Noise Engineering
4%
Qu Bit
No votes

Total votes: 24

RELATED
PRODUCTS

deastman wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:12 am Oh, I didn’t realize I was participating in market research for a commercial venture.

It's not market research, it's just a reason to use the poll option of this forum and curiosity from my side.
You clicking around on the internet and posting on this forum is participating in market research for commercial ventures .... I'm sure you already knew that :D

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:09 am No, they're still not meaningful to the potential participants. Why on earth would someone spend time picking from someone else's 'favourites' especially when its not even that, just lazy market research.
What is meaningful and what is not is only a matter of opinion and perspective.
That's why we love spending our precious time and energy reading and posting on this forum !

modularfreq wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:31 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:09 am No, they're still not meaningful to the potential participants. Why on earth would someone spend time picking from someone else's 'favourites' especially when its not even that, just lazy market research.
What is meaningful and what is not is only a matter of opinion and perspective.
That's why we love spending our precious time and energy reading and posting on this forum !
Yes but so far you dont really engage with this community, so this poll is pretty cynical. You talk 'at' us, mostly 'watch my YT vid' posts but not 'with' the people here.
You dont give the sense you do spend much 'precious time' reading anyone else here. Its all just promotional.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:43 am Yes but so far you dont really engage with this community, so this poll is pretty cynical. You talk 'at' us, mostly 'watch my YT vid' posts but not 'with' the people here.
You dont give the sense you do spend much 'precious time' reading anyone else here. Its all just promotional.
Again.. that's only your personal opinion.

You've been here since 2001, so it's safe to say that you're the more experienced one.

For me, a poll on a forum or any social media is just for fun and nothing to be so sour about. The button is there for a reason, just like the emoticons. Obviously other people think it's fun enough to vote, read and post too.

This topic is clearly an example of my first attempts to engage with this community and I guess my first encounter with an OG like you.

fish.

Lego

I have 9 favorite brands and 6 of them aren't on your list.

foosnark wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:51 pm I have 9 favorite brands and 6 of them aren't on your list.
I have ten favorite brands which are different from your nine, and fourteen of them aren’t on this list.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

My favourite brand is pretty underground. You've probably never heard of them.
Image Image Image Image

sprnva wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:36 pm My favourite brand is pretty underground. You've probably never heard of them.
keep it to yourself!
you've already cost me enough :hihi:

sprnva wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:36 pm My favourite brand is pretty underground. You've probably never heard of them.
PM’d for Maths.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

foosnark wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:51 pm I have 9 favorite brands and 6 of them aren't on your list.
That's great, because you can only pick one from the poll :)

I assume your favourite is Mutable Instruments ? I checked some of your stuff and I like the vibes :phones:

Favorite modular brand? I'd choose Buchla, Cwejman, Orthogonal Devices over anything else if someone was giving me their modules. Are they good for retailing? No, because few people would buy them due to their cost, and you probably couldn't get reseller contracts from any of them anyway.
I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. If you're looking for manufacturers to resell, shouldn't you just contact everyone and see what offers "stick"?
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

vortico wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:33 am I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

modularfreq wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:03 am That's great, because you can only pick one from the poll :)
Yeah, that's one of the strikes against the poll.

Some people seem to dogmatically believe that everyone has one single favorite in any given category of thing. One favorite food, one favorite movie, one favorite album, whatever. But in almost no case is there any reason to restrict it to a single choice. We don't have to be monogamous about everything. There is no plausible scenario where I'm stuck on a desert island with exactly one modular synth manufacturer.

I do like Mutable Instruments -- they have nice aesthetics, good attention to detail and some inspired designs that often maximize both usefulness and playability. I do have more of their modules than any other brand -- but half of those were sent to me by Emilie for beta testing. 20% of my system is Mutable Instruments and that's fine but honestly, Rings is the only one I consider indispensable. I have some criticisms against some Mutable modules and have never owned or been excited by their most popular one, Clouds.

I have one module each from Monome, SynthTech, and Rabid Elephant but consider all of those crucial. In a few days I can probably add Orthogonal Devices to that list since my ER-301 is on its way out of Japan right now.

Right now Make Noise is sort of the darling because QPAS was just released and is fantastic, I'm jonesing for an Erbe-Verb, and recently traded three modules for a Maths. And yet, I would be fine with a Falistri or Grand Terminal or Double Andore instead of Maths, be okay with some other filter and skip the Erbe-Verb.

So yeah. I don't consider myself to have one single favorite.
Last edited by foosnark on Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”