Question about tweaking presets in Virus TI

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After years of using soft synths I decided to get hands on and have just picked up a 2nd hand Virus TI for a great price.
However something that is confusing me is if I load a preset and tweak one of the parameter that when I move the value to that stored it sounds differnt from the loaded preset. Let me explain more with a specific example, suppose I load a preset then twist the cut off knob it'll display like this:

Filter 1 Cutoff
46 [23]

The value for 46 changes as I rotate the knob and I can hear filter sweeps. But if I change the current value to be the same the stored value i.e.:

23 [23]

then it sounds differnt from the original preset does.
If I've set the current value to be the same as stored value then why does it sound different? Souldn't it sound identical if all I changed with the filter value, but then put it back to the stored value?

Another question, is it possible to set up the TI such that the value doesn't change until you pass thru the stored value (i.e. when you rotate the knob it doesn't start to change until the value passes through 23)? I can't find anything in the manual about either of these two questions.

TIA

Just an idea, but sometimes the two filters are linked together. So when you turn one knob you are affecting both filters. Maybe one of the filters are set to something else as its original value.

Tell me which preset you are using and I'll see if I can explain what happens.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:30 pm Just an idea, but sometimes the two filters are linked together. So when you turn one knob you are affecting both filters. Maybe one of the filters are set to something else as its original value.

/C
Hey, here's an example using the ExoplaneTU preset from The Unfinished Virus Chiaruscuro library downloadable from the Access website.
If I load that preset using VirusControl then hit and hold any note (I'll use C2)a, now with the note still held if I twist the cutoff (with filt1 selected) on the TI down to something like 10 then then the sound is virtually silent, if I hit the same note again there's still no sound. The display for Filter 1 cutoff is showing 10 [23].
Now if I increase the cutoff so that the display reads 23 [23] then sound starts to emerge again (if the note remains playing or if I re-press the same note) but not many frequencies are getting through compared to the original un-editied preset.
If I increate the cutoff to something like 60 approximatly, then it starts to sound like the original preset.

Another experiment - position the Filter 1 cuttoff knob so that it already is set to 23, then re-load the preset and play a note, now I just tweak the knob a tiny but so that the display is 25 [23] then such a slight difference between 25 and 23 shouldn't be very noticable, but it is and the sound is much quieter as more frequences are cut off manually setting the value to 25. Once again I have to set the filter cutoff to about 60 for it to sound similar to the original preset.

I am correct that the value in [] is the stored value for the preset right?
The synth is behaving/sounding as if the actual value for the cutoff is 60, but the display is showing it stored as 23.

Huh... there are some weirdness there for sure. For me the Virus doesn't say [23] but [127]. And you are quite right. The correct value is around 60 - you can see that in the VC. You probably have found a bug. Weird! This is the first time I found the [original value] to be off.

/C
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I don't think this is just restricted to the filter cutoff however, yesterday when I was playing around I'm sure I noticed the same thing happening for other settings too.

mungbeans wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:14 pmAnother question, is it possible to set up the TI such that the value doesn't change until you pass thru the stored value (i.e. when you rotate the knob it doesn't start to change until the value passes through 23)? I can't find anything in the manual about either of these two questions.
You need to go into the ‘Configuration Settings’ and in the ‘Knob Behaviour’ section change ‘Response’ to Snap. I think that maybe you have it set to Relative at the moment which could explain why parameter values are not in line with the knobs, hopefully.

I just want to add, if you do not know it already:
This LED i marked in the attached picture shows you if the current value you are changing is on the value of the stored preset. If it lights up you are on the value of the preset.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Satch1 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:44 am
mungbeans wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:14 pmAnother question, is it possible to set up the TI such that the value doesn't change until you pass thru the stored value (i.e. when you rotate the knob it doesn't start to change until the value passes through 23)? I can't find anything in the manual about either of these two questions.
You need to go into the ‘Configuration Settings’ and in the ‘Knob Behaviour’ section change ‘Response’ to Snap. I think that maybe you have it set to Relative at the moment which could explain why parameter values are not in line with the knobs, hopefully.
Thanks, I'll have a look when I get home

NukeArts wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:02 pm I just want to add, if you do not know it already:
This LED i marked in the attached picture shows you if the current value you are changing is on the value of the stored preset. If it lights up you are on the value of the preset.
I was wondering what that light was for. But what do you mean by "on" the value.

Satch1 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:44 am
It was set to jump. While experimenting with it I set it to the off position but now can't turn it on, because paradoxically it seems as its set to off no knobs are responding, including the one to turn it back on. So its stuck in the off setting.
Do you know how I can get it back on?

You can use the value buttons left of the Noise knob to change settings and parameter values.

I’ve been trying to figure this default value thing out and here’s what I’ve discovered.

It’s nothing to do with the Knob Behaviour setting. The problem is that the default parameter values of a preset are only loaded with presets that are in the RAM and ROM banks. If you load a preset from a bank stored in a MIDI file it will use the default values of the last preset that was loaded from a RAM or ROM bank. So if you want presets to behave correctly you’ll have to move them to a RAM or ROM bank. Moving them to RAM can be done in the Virus Control plugin. Burning to ROM has to be done using the Virus Control Center.

Good find!

/C

DrGonzo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:05 pm Good find!

/C
:wink: :tu:

DrGonzo wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:30 pm Just an idea, but sometimes the two filters are linked together. So when you turn one knob you are affecting both filters. Maybe one of the filters are set to something else as its original value.

/C
Right, the OP should check the manual, the Virus TI is a complex beast.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”