iZotope Nectar for Vocals

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
User avatar
Mister Natural
KVRAF
2348 posts since 28 Oct, 2007 from michigan

Post Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:20 am

anyone using this ?
Izzit worth $200 ? I already have Melodyne . . .

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Breen
KVRer
3 posts since 12 Feb, 2019

Re: iZotope Nectar for Vocals

Post Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:54 pm

For my opinion it makes sound muddy.

Kinh
KVRian
1177 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Re: iZotope Nectar for Vocals

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:32 am

No not worth it if own Melodyne. Just use 3rd party effects.

Steve Bolivar
KVRist
485 posts since 25 Aug, 2006

Re: iZotope Nectar for Vocals

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:56 am

When it goes on big sale it's worth it. It's a nice all in one channel strip, lots of presets to quickly try different things and tweak them to your needs. It probably more depends on if you like that style of working.

User avatar
Mister Natural
KVRAF
2348 posts since 28 Oct, 2007 from michigan

Re: iZotope Nectar for Vocals

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:57 am

I found this over the weekend on sale for $29 which is within my budget - unfortunatley looks like it's gone back to it's street price today
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ng-plug-in

I'll give it a shot - if only for the AI-based EQ & compressions for my humble vocals . . . then run this into my existing copy of MeloDyne and Valhalla verbs
I'll let you know how that works after I've played with it for a minute

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Ploki
KVRian
647 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: iZotope Nectar for Vocals

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:15 pm

I really advise you to use Melodyne as the first in the chain.

I really like the "Harmony engine" for doubling and seldomly use de-esser. It's a nice package imo, but if iZotope sold singles, i'd only buy the harmony engine plug.
I hate channel strip approach.
The EQ has a built-in pitchtracking feature, which can be nice if you don't have a tracking EQ yet.

Elements is useless imo, and definitely not worth 129$.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7694 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: iZotope Nectar for Vocals

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:49 pm

I find Nectar Elements to be pretty much useless. I've tried it on a few different vocal tracks and it hasn't made even a slight improvement. Half the time I can't tell if it's done anything at all to the sound. I use Vocal Doubler a lot but I've given up on Nectar Elements.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno.

User avatar
Mister Natural
KVRAF
2348 posts since 28 Oct, 2007 from michigan

Re: iZotope Nectar for Vocals

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:00 pm

good feedback - thanks !
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

User avatar
Russell Grand
KVRAF
1705 posts since 22 May, 2017

Re: iZotope Nectar for Vocals

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:22 am

I love iZotope's Nectar and, especially if you can find it on sale, it's a must buy!

User avatar
Russell Grand
KVRAF
1705 posts since 22 May, 2017

Re: iZotope Nectar for Vocals

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:23 am

BONES wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:49 pm
I find Nectar Elements to be pretty much useless. I've tried it on a few different vocal tracks and it hasn't made even a slight improvement. Half the time I can't tell if it's done anything at all to the sound. I use Vocal Doubler a lot but I've given up on Nectar Elements.
Lol. That's just odd. :?

mcbpete
KVRian
1404 posts since 24 Jun, 2006 from London, England

Re: iZotope Nectar for Vocals

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:27 am

Steve Bolivar wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:56 am
When it goes on big sale it's worth it. It's a nice all in one channel strip, lots of presets to quickly try different things and tweak them to your needs.
Agreed, as a vocal-centric channel strip it's great value (when on sale anyways !). I'd still use Melodyne for pitch processing but for post-effects on vocals it definitely has its place.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7694 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: iZotope Nectar for Vocals

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:59 pm

Russell Grand wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:23 am
BONES wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:49 pm
I find Nectar Elements to be pretty much useless. I've tried it on a few different vocal tracks and it hasn't made even a slight improvement. Half the time I can't tell if it's done anything at all to the sound. I use Vocal Doubler a lot but I've given up on Nectar Elements.
Lol. That's just odd. :?
I was referring to using it's supposedly smart assistant. It goes through a process similar to Ozone but at the end of it I can't tell if it's done anything or not half the time. So either my vocals are perfect out of the box (unlikely in the extreme) or it's not very good and Nectar Elements gives you very little to play with to do it manually. It's just a few sliders which, again, don't seem to do much most of the time.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno.

User avatar
Russell Grand
KVRAF
1705 posts since 22 May, 2017

Re: iZotope Nectar for Vocals

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:28 am

BONES wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:59 pm
Russell Grand wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:23 am
BONES wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:49 pm
I find Nectar Elements to be pretty much useless. I've tried it on a few different vocal tracks and it hasn't made even a slight improvement. Half the time I can't tell if it's done anything at all to the sound. I use Vocal Doubler a lot but I've given up on Nectar Elements.
Lol. That's just odd. :?
I was referring to using it's supposedly smart assistant. It goes through a process similar to Ozone but at the end of it I can't tell if it's done anything or not half the time. So either my vocals are perfect out of the box (unlikely in the extreme) or it's not very good and Nectar Elements gives you very little to play with to do it manually. It's just a few sliders which, again, don't seem to do much most of the time.
Fair points. :tu:

Return to “Production Techniques”