what synths are there that emulate oberheim synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:55 pm
layzer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:44 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:28 pm
For those half dozen of us left on 32 bit OS.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/sam-by-wok
Show me anywhere on any of those pages that this is 64 bit? I know I'm blind but I'm not THAT blind.
:uhuhuh: :troll:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I just meant making it a bit more user friendly with some of the functions... like the buttons, etc., not the size of the display. I have the latest version and the size itself is very good now.

Diva can do a very nice emulation of an OB-8 with some tinkering, or the right presets

http://swanaudio.co.uk/classic-ob/

OP-X II is really good.

Agreed on W23's post--http://swanaudio.co.uk/classic-ob/ is pretty identical to the hardware, it's a fantastic set!

mholloway wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:15 pm I tried to get excited about OP-X PRO II because I'd love to have a great sounding Oberheim plugin in my setup.... but, and I know I'm not alone here, to me it just sounds like Any Old VST Plugin. I don't get the raves about it, at all.
That's the wrong conclusion. Is really the most accurate OB-X emulation with a monster of a factory library on top of that.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:57 am
mholloway wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:15 pm I tried to get excited about OP-X PRO II because I'd love to have a great sounding Oberheim plugin in my setup.... but, and I know I'm not alone here, to me it just sounds like Any Old VST Plugin. I don't get the raves about it, at all.
That's the wrong conclusion. Is really the most accurate OB-X emulation with a monster of a factory library on top of that.
1. "wrong conclusion" about a subjective matter? I don't think so. I don't think it sounds that great. That's my evaluation, and I stand by it. If you'd like to present an A/B of it and your OB-X, please, go ahead. Surely you have an OB-X, and that's why you're so confident that my conclusion is 'wrong', yes?

2. I don't care about the factory presets. I program analog synths and analog synth emulations myself, that is the whole point of being interested in analog synths, afaic.

mholloway wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:31 pm 1. "wrong conclusion" about a subjective matter? I don't think so. I don't think it sounds that great. That's my evaluation, and I stand by it. If you'd like to present an A/B of it and your OB-X, please, go ahead. Surely you have an OB-X, and that's why you're so confident that my conclusion is 'wrong', yes?
Take it here: https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... nd+OP-X+II

Maybe this will be enough to enlighten you.
mholloway wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:31 pm 2. I don't care about the factory presets. I program analog synths and analog synth emulations myself, that is the whole point of being interested in analog synths, afaic.
And you actually compared the OP-X II with a real OB-X to reach your conclusion, right? :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:51 pm
And you actually compared the OP-X II with a real OB-X to reach your conclusion, right? :roll:
Why would I need one to assert that to me it sounds like any standard VST software synth? That's what it sounds like to me. I don't need an OP-X next to me to make that statement.

mholloway wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:58 pm
fmr wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:51 pm
Why would I need one to assert that to me it sounds like any standard VST software synth? That's what it sounds like to me. I don't need an OP-X next to me to make that statement.
Well... that's because IT IS a standard VST Synth. Any software synth that conforms to the VST standard is a "standard VST software synth", by definition. Actually, I wouldn't care of a software synth that wasn't :hihi:

EDIT: Except VCV, for the moment (but a VST version is in the works).

Anyway, the question isn't whether it is or not a VST synth. Question is: Is it faithful to the emulated hardware counterpart or not? Judging from the examples you can find in the search I linked, it seems pretty close to me.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:41 pm Question is: Is it faithful to the emulated hardware counterpart or not? Judging from the examples you can find in the search I linked, it seems pretty close to me.
For some the question is simply: does it sound good - does it inspire me! Youtube comparisons are useless imho, as its about a lot of subtle personal unconscious taste which do not carry through the medium (not even the subtleties of the sound...)
If the hardware in its size and physicality will inspire you to create your sounds and music, and software doesn't, even if you cannot distinguish the sound in a double blind test, your choice is evident...
For me its usually the other way around, the ease of use and the ease of dealing with software is often more inspiring for me - with rare exceptions like a real Arp 2600, but I don't have one, not even the space for it...
But I have a nice memory I'll keep forever which inspires me as well...

There was a test where you could listen to 9 varied examples and see which one you thought was the hardware and which was OP-X Pro II here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=348343

Just don't read ahead too far (until you've guessed which one is which) as the answers are given a page or two later. 8)

from a previous post of mine ,i found some differences in the shape of the envelopes,so op-x is NOT a identical emulation,sure the patches are very close.
sergiofrias wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:16 pm Since the hardware ob-x have Cem 3310 envelopes,why does obxd and op-x emulation have completely different envelope shape? i compared Repro-1 to both synths (since pro-one also got cem 3310),op-x is linear,while obxd is exponential:

url:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/uwEe3 ... 1080-rw-no

so what is the closest to the real envelopes?
(i used a filter sweep with resonance on the test above,it would be great if someone can make a filter sweep on a real ob-x to check the diferences)
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

robindrieghe wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:39 pm the dave smith one sounds awesome but looking for a vst one :)
might go for the behringer hardware later.
How many times does anyone have to ask this question?

sergiofrias wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:27 pm from a previous post of mine ,i found some differences in the shape of the envelopes,so op-x is NOT a identical emulation,sure the patches are very close.
sergiofrias wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:16 pm Since the hardware ob-x have Cem 3310 envelopes,why does obxd and op-x emulation have completely different envelope shape? i compared Repro-1 to both synths (since pro-one also got cem 3310),op-x is linear,while obxd is exponential:

url:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/uwEe3 ... 1080-rw-no

so what is the closest to the real envelopes?
(i used a filter sweep with resonance on the test above,it would be great if someone can make a filter sweep on a real ob-x to check the diferences)
I don't know why this is the type of envelope I'm getting from OP-X in default "normal" mode
It also has an additional "linear" mode which goes in straight lines, as in your screenshot.

This screenshot is wave amplitude, but a high resonance filter sweep gives a similar envelope shape on spectrograms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”