Ozone 8 - Slight half-second delay in playback at the start (anyway around this) ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I have Ozone 8 on a track (or masterbus) and I press the play button to playback there is a half second playback delay.
I guess Ozone is pre-processing or buffering up or something.

Is there anyway around this?
(I dont think any other plugin I own has this initial delay. My computer is pretty well-powered enough, an i7-7700k with plent ram etc.)
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

I'm not sure that's what it is intended for - it's a mastering tool. It's possible to drag the handles on the audio track representation to pull the start or end in or to fade in/out, but I've never tried that other than after importing a stereo mix down.
Sweet child in time...

Typically Ozone sits on the master bus.

Bansaw wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:19 am Typically Ozone sits on the master bus.
Deep Purple wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 am I'm not sure that's what it is intended for - it's a mastering tool.
If I do have it on a single track, its just one module such as Vintage Tape for saturation.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

Bansaw wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:19 am Typically Ozone sits on the master bus.
It could sit on the master bus, but I don't think that's typical - mix downs are usually exported to a stereo file which is then brought into a mastering tool. Mastering is not typically done on the master bus of another tool.

I'm just wondering if the OP's use of it is what is causing the problem.
Sweet child in time...

Ozone does introduce quite a bit of latency. Even if you're just using it on one channel, most DAWs will compensate by delaying everything else so that it's still in time. Getting a faster CPU would not help, as it's Ozone itself that uses this buffer for its internal processing. Increasing your sample rate and/or reducing your buffer size helps but won't eliminate the latency. Also, the latency varies between different modules and algorithms in O8.

What you normally do is track and mix without Ozone, and then add it at the end or export the mixdown to audio and then add Ozone.
For mixing/tracking, you should use Neutron, which has a Zero Latency mode, or use any other number of compressors, EQ's etc. optimized for mixing/low latency.

you can also switch the limiter/maximizer to LL for Low Latency

Return to “Effects”