Alternative to DDMF EQIIpro ?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
codec_spurt
KVRAF
3499 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:42 pm

jbarish wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:50 pm
Crave is very good and few developers are as responsive about incorporating user suggestions into the plug. A win-win!
I've really put Crave through its paces. I mailed the dev a few times about suggestions. While he makes no promises, you can tell he's taking it all on board. He explained some workarounds to me in the meantime where applicable.

I get the impression that things will get implemented slowly but surely. If nothing else this plugin is rock solid (as it should be). Everything I need 90 percent of the time is catered for. I don't need all those bells and whistles that FF has. If I mixed or mastered for a living, I'm sure they would come in handy, but for now, I don't feel deprived. Crave even implements mid/side as well as a different alternative to minimum phase/linear phase. That's pretty ground breaking in its way.

It's got a fairly minimal design for now, but it wouldn't surprise me to see some much asked for features added in the not too distant future. The dev has already said he will incorporate a piano keyboard, and on the visual front as well, he seems to be getting a few requests for more colours. I really can't say for sure, but I'm confident he'll get around to it at some point.

I get the feeling that all that stuff is just a formality and that the real passion is being spent on the actual heart of the EQ itself - the sound. All this is conjecture on my part of course.

So yeah, maybe a few more nice colours. Perhaps the ability to overlay other instances' spectrums. A keyboard for frequency ranges. Some presets from someone that does this for a living, that could provide a starting point for us noobs that don't. All that is doable I think.

Quite a few asking to make it dynamic. But I'm in the camp where I'm happy to leave it as a pure EQ. I wouldn't say no as long as it didn't spoil the wonderfuly graceful look and feel of what we already have. But again, I don't feel deprived by not having it. Having said that, if I was a mastering engineer and really got in to using this EQ day to day, I'd probably want to have that extra functionality for convenience.

In plugin land, fads and flavours of the month come and go, but something feels different with this one. It's something of a milestone in cheap and affordable EQ, not revolutionary but definitely state of the art. To this layman anyway.

Just as I think the DDMF EQs were when they first came out. And they have only gone from strength to strength. All things being well and equal, I can see this Crave EQ going in the same direction.

The dev seems to be a genuninely humble and helfpul guy. I can be patient while he focuses on making his plugin stable and compatible and even better sounding - the eye candy can wait. I sense someone with a real passion for the science and art of what he does - it oozes out of the plugin as you use it.

If you are in to EQ at all, or even if you are just starting out with it as a concept, then go to his site and download it. The demo is functional enough to get away with without paying for it for a while. And by then, you'll be hooked...

The Noodlist
KVRian
558 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from Dingleborough UK

Re: Alternative to DDMF EQIIpro ?

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:41 pm

I got a full refund for Gramotech's Babylon EQ from Digital River, you can too.

jbarish
KVRist
372 posts since 28 Apr, 2017

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:02 pm

The Noodlist wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:41 pm
I got a full refund for Gramotech's Babylon EQ from Digital River, you can too.
Wow, that it some accomplishment. I went round and round with Digital River a few years ago over a refund and never got anywhere. How did you pull it off??

The Noodlist
KVRian
558 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from Dingleborough UK

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:42 pm

https://www.mycommerce.com/shopper-support/
MyCommerce support, I submitted the details and the reason for a refund.

trmupstage
KVRist
265 posts since 25 Sep, 2002 from Chicago

Post Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:11 am

I'm seriously looking at Crave EQ. Seems to have everything I need. As long as the CPU hit is low, I think it is a good purchase. I already have and use Waves F6 but wanted something a bit different. I use DMG EQuick but it's lack of a control panel is sometimes a problem.

woggle
KVRAF
2364 posts since 24 Nov, 2012

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:03 pm

docdued wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:51 am
Just to follow up: those automation issues are fixed now, aren't they?
following this a bit late but the DDMF automation issues have been fixed - for the vst2, the vst3 is still not working properly in Reaper - declares parameters incorrectly. Still my go to EQ, although the new apulSoft might end up taking that position
Last edited by woggle on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
what you don't know only makes you stronger

woggle
KVRAF

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:53 pm

and I just bought apQualizr2 after using the demo in some work I have on at the moment. Great workflow, a really excellent "bit of kit". The internal modulation is incredibly useful

http://apulsoft.ch/apqualizr2/

Lesha
KVRian
1420 posts since 18 Feb, 2005 from Serbia

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:02 am

woggle wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:53 pm
and I just bought apQualizr2 after using the demo in some work I have on at the moment. Great workflow, a really excellent "bit of kit". The internal modulation is incredibly useful

http://apulsoft.ch/apqualizr2/
Good choice!

Although I have both :lol:
It's easy if you know how

woggle
KVRAF

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:56 am

:)

Return to “Effects”