What do you prefer? iLok or USB-eLicenser?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you prefer? iLok or USB-eLicenser? Looking at Stix..

I personally prefer iLok. Seems to work better on my system... Soft eLicenser had an issue with one of the big Windows updates, and I had to create a new one with a tool from Steinberg. Thankfully, I have all my licenses on a dongle...

elicenser, then ilok - of course both the dongle version. Don't know when I had to update to eLCC the last time, but the iLok license manager wants to get updated nearly everytime I open it :-D The soft versions have a higher the risk of losing licenses imo since HDD crahses or updates are more common than losing a dongle.

eLicenser. The biggest problem with iLok system wise is their PACE software that operates parasitically on system resources. eLicense turns on at the beginning of software start up then goes transparent. Even with the no dongle iLok, the system is still parasited and all your regular usage goes up as well because of it. The other thing, in my dealings with both companies, the parasite one will directly mislead you. Not trustworthy IMO.
I would prefer that both would be options for those that want to use it, but never a requirement.

BBFG# wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 pm The biggest problem with iLok system wise is their PACE software that operates parasitically on system resources.
What does that even mean?

Every process has a system footprint. One is parasitical, the other not?

^ Consistantly on.
Consistantly sapping.
CPU usage goes up by 1-4% and spikes have an additional 8-12%. Regardless of whether you're using an iLok product or not at the time. Which doesn't happen on eLicenser software.

Constant problems with eLicensor, none with iLok

Also with iLok my licenses are backed up online (and I have ZDT), with eLicensor it only does that for Steinberg stuff.

they both suck and should be avoided.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:17 am they both suck and should be avoided.
Yup. Both are unreliable. At the end of the day you want your plugins, that you paid for, to work when you want them to. Both these systems effectively work against that simple premise.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:46 pm Constant problems with eLicensor, none with iLok
What kinds of problems?
( Ernest question.)

Like I've said before, I don't have a problem with anyone that finds benefit with either. They both make me question the company that requires them though.
I think we each end up having to decide the pros/cons of the software and whether or not the protection scheme is worth it. (I only have Steinberg on mine.) But IMO, both should always be an option, not a requirement.

do_androids_dream wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:21 am
layzer wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:17 am they both suck and should be avoided.
Yup. Both are unreliable. At the end of the day you want your plugins, that you paid for, to work when you want them to. Both these systems effectively work against that simple premise.
mhmm add more ram, get a bigger HD, change your mouse, add a surge protector... everything stops working. i'm just glad theres other alternatives ;)

I added more memory and a new graphics card, neither stopped working. Just saying.

chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:35 am I added more memory and a new graphics card, neither stopped working. Just saying.
sarcasm... just saying. :troll:

ilok because if you want to transfer a license you don't have to mail your whole dongle across the world.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:59 pm
BBFG# wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 pm The biggest problem with iLok system wise is their PACE software that operates parasitically on system resources.
What does that even mean?

Every process has a system footprint. One is parasitical, the other not?
i just checked task manager and pace uses 3.3 mb of memory. That is NOTHING.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Return to “Instruments”