What do you prefer? iLok or USB-eLicenser?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

memyselfandus wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 pm What do you prefer? iLok or USB-eLicenser? Looking at Stix..
And what do you prefer: slavery or serfdom?

In an ideal world neither, but out of the two iLok because they have a better license transfer policy.
Always Read the Manual!

kvaca wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:49 am
memyselfandus wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 pm What do you prefer? iLok or USB-eLicenser? Looking at Stix..
And what do you prefer: slavery or serfdom?
Could be the perfect slogan for Pirate Bay.

My StiX is on my eLicencer. I have used this eLicencer for Cubase for many years without any problem.(more than 10 years actually iirc), but it is on a desktop, and never moves from it. I also use Ilok for some plugs that don't offer eLicencer option. Without problems as well. The good thing with Ilok however is that it offers a software only option, with more than one install on more than one computer (at least for StiX). I prefer the dongle solution, but I think it should be noted. Also, if you ever break the dongle etc, Xils-Lab is very friendly and helpful.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

id avoid a dongle if it's for a laptop you're using for live or do a lot of travelling with.
yes, we should all be careful, but it's too easy to lose something so small.

for a home computer that stays in the studio, it's not as important, and more than likely will come down to "can i spare the usb socket?"

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:03 pm id avoid a dongle if it's for a laptop you're using for live or do a lot of travelling with.
Aye.

Shame that the iLok cloud thingie doesn't take off. I'd take that over a dongle every day. I'd be curious with what Steinberg comes up when they drop eLicenser. I think it's highly likely that they come up with a similar cloud solution. I know, bad news for some people (dunno how many, they're always very vocal online), but, IMO, that's much better than a dongle.

I would rather just have an unobtrusive method, regardless of what it is called. I get that manufacturers want to prevent piracy, but it would be cool if they use something that happens once then the software owner never has to worry about it again.
Sweet child in time...

neither

Deep Purple wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:55 pm I would rather just have an unobtrusive method, regardless of what it is called. I get that manufacturers want to prevent piracy, but it would be cool if they use something that happens once then the software owner never has to worry about it again.
That's a point i don't necessarily understand. When i plug in my dongles, and load my DAW, i don't notice anything in regards of copy protection. What exactly do you consider obtrusive?

And what is it in general that makes people feel "unfree"? Just so i can maybe comprehend the arguments a bit better (even though i doubt that will happen).

I’ve used both for well over a decade and never had an issue. However I agree with a previous post in the context of a live laptop. The risk of losing a dongle stops me wanting to use Halion / Halion Sonic live for example.

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:03 pm id avoid a dongle if it's for a laptop you're using for live or do a lot of travelling with.

for a home computer that stays in the studio, it's not as important, and more than likely will come down to "can i spare the usb socket?"
Makes sense.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

ilok. If you need support from Steinberg, you're in for a wait.

Neither, I hate stuff that installs that kind of low level software that is always running, it is true that nowadays its CPU use is insignificant nevertheless it bothers me.

I also hate how annoying transfering software with either can be.
dedication to flying

The thing about eLicenser is you have to keep it updated. If you don't, expect problems. I don't know why and it wouldn't do me any good to try to know, but that's from experience. I don't have room and I'm not going to try to have room for the iLok dongle.

It stands to reason there is something running for the dongle to know when it's not in there, but I can't find it and I've tried. I know what the things are which I am seeing, and the background stuff is essential. The things which are not are Apple peculiarities, "AppleSpell" etc. I don't know why a soft authorization would need to run in the background.

'intrusive' is one of these received things people believe and that's that.
I have a crap USB hub which the system takes as unconnected, because it's crap and sometimes I have to take the fugging thing out and stick it back in.
So something is aware, but it's negligible to Active Processes in the application Activity Monitor, clearly enough.

Return to “Instruments”