What do you prefer? iLok or USB-eLicenser?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:21 pm I'd be curious with what Steinberg comes up when they drop eLicenser. I think it's highly likely that they come up with a similar cloud solution.
I had non dongle eLicencer like iLok before I got one when I purchased Padshop second hand. Its in place already, but the only way to transfer licenses seems to be the dongle...

Anyway, what a stupid question. I would prefer that pirating is such a non-issue that copy protection wouldn't be either... Most vendors now have alternatives in place anyway...

chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:59 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:55 pm I would rather just have an unobtrusive method, regardless of what it is called. I get that manufacturers want to prevent piracy, but it would be cool if they use something that happens once then the software owner never has to worry about it again.
That's a point i don't necessarily understand. When i plug in my dongles, and load my DAW, i don't notice anything in regards of copy protection. What exactly do you consider obtrusive?

And what is it in general that makes people feel "unfree"? Just so i can maybe comprehend the arguments a bit better (even though i doubt that will happen).
We'll don't start by doubting that you won't comprehend better - keep an open mind.

What I mean is things like deregistering and reregistering Reason between an old and new computer - sometimes it's impossible to deregister the old one and the only way to get Propellerheads to deregister it is to report it to them as lost.

I forget what it was called, but a decade ago there was the debacle of copy protection on CDs which prevented some CDs from being played in anything other than a dedicated CD player (yes, I'm looking at you Dido and Aerosmith...).

There are some copy protection schemes that require a software owner to be online, so if you lose your internet connection, you can't use the software you paid for.

As vurt noted above, if the software requires a dongle and you lose it, you are (at least temporarily) screwed.

I'm sure there are other examples, but those are just a few that come to mind. As I said, I have no issue with software being protected, but I'd like the process to be non-intrusive once I have it installed.
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:49 pm
I forget what it was called, but a decade ago there was the debacle of copy protection on CDs which prevented some CDs from being played in anything other than a dedicated CD player (yes, I'm looking at you Dido and Aerosmith...).
i for one, thank dido for limiting access to her music.

As vurt noted above, if the software requires a dongle and you lose it, you are (at least temporarily) screwed.
my point wasn't anti copy protection though, merely just make sure that the copy protection is "right for given usage". why some people might choose a particular method, if it offers a software only option for example...

Deep Purple wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:49 pm As I said, I have no issue with software being protected, but I'd like the process to be non-intrusive once I have it installed.
I'm sure we all agree with that. The distinction seems to be what exactly is considered obtrusive/intrusive. You're as screwed when your harddrive crashes, as you're screwed when you lose your dongle. For example. Most likely a lot more screwed.

Anyway, the problem i rather have is with software "freedom", or rather, the illusion of freedom, or the lack thereof. I don't feel any more free using open source software, as using closed source software with a copy protection, in most cases. One thing which restricts me, as i mentioned, are dongles which i have to have plugged into my system. Apart from that, i can't think of many things which would limit my use of software. No serial does that, no C/R protection does that, and no online sessions check does that. YMMV. Even though i also don't understand people with their offline DAW's. 1. I consider that excessive, because, being online doesn't mean a loss of security, and 2. I don't get how people stay up to date with their software then. It also seems such use cases are pretty irrelevant for DAW or plugin vendors, with their software updaters, and software managers, which automatically activate your plugins, and keep them up to date.

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:02 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:49 pm
i for one, thank dido for limiting access to her music.
:lol:

Me too - I was speaking on behalf of those poor souls who actually bought her CD.
Sweet child in time...

The thing about dongles, and I was reminded of this reading tales of trial and tribulation migrating a system to a new machine, is you're done.
My whole experience with iLok is due to having a computer stolen and having to reauthorize those things. It was a very good experience all things considered. I'm SOL with the EWQL RA, lost dongle, but it's not irreplaceable to be sure.

I have broken 2 dongles, or maybe it's 3. I don't know what would happen with the PACE one, the Steinberg one, NB: I was provided with a {Cubase Pro} replacement license for free (I will say this, do not leave an activation unused if you have money in it in the Steinberg system, it can be too-easily hijacked). VSL charges 50% of the current price (and don't advertise this fact but gave me a couple for free, 'loyalty benefit').

But if all of the NI and BFD stuff was on a dongle, my migration will have been nothing, taking as long as it takes to copy files over.

dblock wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:25 pm ilok. If you need support from Steinberg, you're in for a wait.
Actually just dealt with them in the last two weeks. Turn around time between messages was 1-2 days, which I consider pretty good. NI has slowed down to anywhere from 3-5 days, and often drop the ball where they never would have before the outside money stepped in.
I remember PACE/EDEN being a bit of a crap shoot, but worse, the dialogue always reminded me of dealing with one of my dual diagnosis clients.

And as far as the 'offline' computer thing, I've found that keeping network cards out of my music systems actually reduce internal noise. (System processes are partially to blame again there.) But I now carry a USB network connection just for authorizations. And then pull it once they've completed. It does seem to make a difference.

I really don't understand the purpose of these copy protection schemes.
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

logifuzz-vst-plugins wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:15 pm I really don't understand the purpose of these copy protection schemes.
I think there's a clue to the purpose in the name...
Sweet child in time...

For me iLok is better. More possibilities to use there.
https://www.manmakesnoise.com/ - Organic at heart.

logifuzz-vst-plugins wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:15 pm I really don't understand the purpose of these copy protection schemes.
to save us from this kind of thing...
https://youtu.be/up863eQKGUI

Don't take drugs kids!
Sweet child in time...

Neither, as a hobbyist I (so far) have found options that have simpler cp that aren't a hassle. Garritan, Scarbee, u-he among others. Piano was a bit of a pain when you toss out ilok options, but fortunately CFX lite has been great :D

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:28 pm
to save us from this kind of thing...
This is as effective as. :lol:
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

For me, either one = buy only at a deep,deep discount, and never for anything mission-critical. I think my iLok mainly contains a bunch of dollar-deal AIR and Sonivox stuff, and eLicenser because I got Padshop Pro in some super-discount sale or other (although with new options in granular showing up on a regular basis, I'm not sure whether I'd bother with it when it comes time for a new computer upgrade).

Return to “Instruments”