Installing macOS/OSX Xcode on Windows : VirtualBox

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
Dozius
KVRian
873 posts since 26 Oct, 2005 from Canada City

Post Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:43 pm

If you just need to compile binaries, CI services would be another option. Travis CI and Azure both have MacOS available, probably more services do as well.

xhunaudio
KVRian
502 posts since 17 Feb, 2010

Re: Installing macOS/OSX Xcode on Windows : VirtualBox

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:20 am

At today, I can say virtualization is not at an acceptable level for this purposes.

Maybe I'm saying this just because I'm so tired and sad (and :x ) after trying to make such setup for several hours. I did it, it basically worked but there're some amazing aspects (as I thought at the beginning) where you get stucked. It correctly recognized the EFI, the virtual CPU, RAM... But not the... mouse! :bang:

And obviously everything is veeery slow...

stratum
KVRAF
2253 posts since 29 May, 2012

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Tired and sad are not uncommon feelings while building an hackintosh:)
~stratum~

pekbro
KVRAF
2406 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:22 pm

The Hackitosh works great actually. You only need do a little planning when shopping for components. A great way to get the equivalent of a costly high-end mac, for a fraction of the cost. Apple might not like it, but preventing it would be difficult as they would have lock to out hardware practically identical to their own.

stratum
KVRAF
2253 posts since 29 May, 2012

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:45 pm

pekbro wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:22 pm
The Hackitosh works great actually. You only need do a little planning when shopping for components. A great way to get the equivalent of a costly high-end mac, for a fraction of the cost. Apple might not like it, but preventing it would be difficult as they would have lock to out hardware practically identical to their own.
I guess it can work and may worth doing if you actually need one. But if you install one out of curiosity on hardware that wasn't initially chosen for it you'll regret it. :)
~stratum~

pekbro
KVRAF
2406 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:17 pm

Gigabyte tends to match apple almost exactly. Most certainly it’s intentional on their part. Just sayin...

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”