what synths are there that emulate oberheim synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sergiofrias wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:27 pm from a previous post of mine ,i found some differences in the shape of the envelopes,so op-x is NOT a identical emulation,sure the patches are very close.
Where's the OG OB envelope shape image to compare the 3 emulations with ?

discoDSP OB-Xd sounds pretty good to me.
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

Where's the OG OB envelope shape image to compare the 3 emulations with ?
Pro-one uses Cem 3310 envelopes so I'm sure it's identical to ob-x
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

logifuzz-vst-plugins wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:13 pm discoDSP OB-Xd sounds pretty good to me.
Agree, it's very underrated, I can replicate most of the sounds of op-x, some can't due to linear shape of envolpes... Ob-xd are closer in shape to original hardware.
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

Windows 10 and too many plugins

What's Syntronik like? It seems like a competitor for Arturia's Analog Lab, which we have a few problems with. The standard version is only 69 euros at the moment, which seems like a really good deal if it's any good.
Last edited by BONES on Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:20 am What's Syntronik like? It seems like a competitor for Arturia's Analog Lab, which we have a few problems with. Is it worth $70?
It's samples. It's not really a synth.

Who cares, as long as it sounds good? In any event, from what I've read it has it's own filters, they just sample the raw oscillators. The thing putting me off is trying to find somewhere to put another 60GB of samples. Still, I could get the free version and then just buy the instruments I want at 49 euros a pop, which would be much more manageable.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:45 am Who cares, as long as it sounds good? In any event, from what I've read it has it's own filters, they just sample the raw oscillators. The thing putting me off is trying to find somewhere to put another 60GB of samples. Still, I could get the free version and then just buy the instruments I want at 49 euros a pop, which would be much more manageable.
But since you can get the whole thing for $69 bucks, it would seem silly to spend $49 for just one.

The instrument installers are all separate downloads anyway, so you can install and manage the content that you really want. If you decide to just install two instruments, then you still come out ahead.

The oscillators were sampled, and the filters were modeled. So they are not a replica of the original synths in the manner that Arturia has done for V Collection with 100% emulation. The UI controls are basically the same from one Syntronik instrument to the next, just using a different skin. The sampling was done with care by an owner of many of the vintage hardware synths, and he was also on the design team for the original Andromeda synth.

But the sound is good, and seems to be faithful to the original instruments. I think the IK team were obviously going more for sound quality and play-ability than sound design capability. In that regard, I'd say it was a keeper! :tu:

And it does come with a nice on-board effects rack borrowed from the T-Racks product line. The multi page lets you create an interesting ensemble of presets for splits and layers.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Good info, thanks for responding in such detail.

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:45 am Who cares, as long as it sounds good? In any event, from what I've read it has it's own filters, they just sample the raw oscillators. The thing putting me off is trying to find somewhere to put another 60GB of samples. Still, I could get the free version and then just buy the instruments I want at 49 euros a pop, which would be much more manageable.
Syntronik sounds very good, but the thing is, it has too much of very same sounding "raw" oscillator patches and limited possibilities to edit them, wich is a shame because core sound of them is good.

But to tell you the truth if your main goal is to have classic sounding patches and have U-he Hive and want those classic sounds, i strongly suggest to just download Juno Collection free patches (550+ patches from TAL-U-NO-LX) viewtopic.php?t=430552 Those patches in Hive sound is on par with Roland Cloud (minus the Chorus, but you can get similar one from TAL for free).

Sure you might say but its not Oberheim. But oberheim is just a name because in the end, those classic brass, bass, lead patches sound quite similar no matter what synth you are using. And talking about Syntronik thats the biggest downside, alot of patches just feels like repeat themselfs due to being same type of sound and there is not much of a difference wich "synth" you are using either its Oxa, Pro V, Galaxy ect.

EDIT: back to Syntronik, editing might actually be improved with Sampletank 4 wich includes some new additions like Modulation matrix, so im not writing down Syntronik, because you can use it within Sampletank 4 :)
Last edited by Elektronisch on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:09 am
Syntronik sounds very good, but the thing is, it has too much of very same sounding "raw" oscillator patches and limited possibilities to edit them, wich is a shame because core sound of them is good.

But to tell you the truth if your main goal is to have classic sounding patches and have U-he Hive and want those classic sounds, i strongly suggest to just download Juno Collection free patches (550+ patches from TAL-U-NO-LX) viewtopic.php?t=430552 Those patches in Hive sound is on par with Roland Cloud (minus the Chorus, but you can get similar one from TAL for free).

Sure you might say but its not Oberheim. But oberheim is just a name because in the end, those classic brass, bass, lead patches sound quite similar no matter what synth you are using. And talking about Syntronik thats the biggest downside, alot of patches just feels like repeat themselfs due to being same type of sound and there is not much of a difference wich "synth" you are using either its Oxa, Pro V, Galaxy ect.
Same if you have NI Reaktor where you can download many different analogue emulations.
Many of them sounds just as good as the Roland cloud versions :phones:

But if you really want the OB sound in vst the Disco dsp and opx pro ii will get you there (I actually liked the sound of opx pro ii more than the OB 6 i had so i sold the OB 6) :)

D-Fusion wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:41 am
Elektronisch wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:09 am

Same if you have NI Reaktor where you can download many different analogue emulations.
Many of them sounds just as good as the Roland cloud versions :phones:

But if you really want the OB sound in vst the Disco dsp and opx pro ii will get you there (I actually liked the sound of opx pro ii more than the OB 6 i had so i sold the OB 6) :)
But here is the thing, what is really oberheim sound? exactly what defines oberheim as oberheim sound :) thats what i mentioned before, if its those classic style brasses, basses ect, they do sound nearly the same or even identical if you add a little bit of tweaking in envelopes, filter and EQ :) in the end the difference would be just very minor and i think you would have to be quite label-caring to care about this kind of stuff :)

And here is some comparison between OB and some soft synths, in the end of the video they are all playing and even tho there is difference, but it can be "fixed" with simple EQ. And again its a matter of how much you care about...but if you care so much, just get the damn thing called Oberheim and be with it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLqfRAhZGbE&t=1717s
Last edited by Elektronisch on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Examigan wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:06 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:47 pm Nope, he's working on it. :) I think OB-X.
I would love an OB-X emulation, especially with the high quality Synapse Audio is known for. :party:
The work they've done modelling the 12 and 24 dB filter is already presented in DUNE2 and 3. Not the same as a full blown emulation I know.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

cytospur wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:11 am
Examigan wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:06 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:47 pm Nope, he's working on it. :) I think OB-X.
I would love an OB-X emulation, especially with the high quality Synapse Audio is known for. :party:
The work they've done modelling the 12 and 24 dB filter is already presented in DUNE2 and 3. Not the same as a full blown emulation I know.
The OB-X has the same SVF filter that was present in the SEM, while the later models had a different (Curtis chip based) filter. There isn't any SVF filter in DUNE, AFAIK.
Last edited by fmr on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”