Are your guitar string hunting days over?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Niowiad
KVRist
328 posts since 25 Jan, 2017

Post Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Yes they are definitely over.
But I've had much worse with the guitar pick hunting days :lol:

JCJR
KVRAF
2560 posts since 17 Apr, 2005 from S.E. TN

Re: Are your guitar string hunting days over?

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:21 pm

I realize elixir are not universally renowned but they sound ok to me. The biggest issue is that I don't play guitar very often.

With ordinary strings I put on a new set, play the guitar a day or three then put it up for months. Then next time I get the guitar out the "new" strings from last time are dead as that dessicated mouse behind the couch from last winter. So basically every time I get a guitar out I have to install new strings or it sounds terrible.

That is annoying and expensive regardless how cheap a set of strings because in essence they turn out "one time use" string sets for my rare playing.

The elixers don't get so dead sitting in the case for months waiting to be played next time. Maybe oxidation is the biggest cause of strings going dead from just sitting on a guitar un-played? Dunno.

So anyway the elixirs save me money and hassle with a pattern of rarely playing the guitars

Deep Purple
KVRian
803 posts since 9 Jan, 2015 from NY, NY

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:45 pm

While I don't obsess over strings too much, I must admit that I find it hard to forget the small imperfections of some of my instruments, and don't really stop thinking about them until they're fixed.

Things like a bridge that I just can't adjust right, fret wear inconsistencies, a slipping tuner, etc. I'll get round to fixing all of those things over time, but as I fix things on a guitar I think I probably start focusing on smaller and smaller issues each time.
Sweet child in time...

Jafo
KVRAF
1827 posts since 20 Dec, 2002 from The Benighted States of Trumpistan

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Yep. Pink Slinkies for Strat, green otherwise.

Won't touch D'addario because hearing people say "Dee-Addar-Eye-Oh" makes me want to punch them in the face. Take a fscking foreign language, willya?
Joy and kindness are acts of resistance -- fight the power!

Bombadil
KVRAF
3005 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Far From the Twisted Reach of Crazy Sorrow

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:26 pm

Deep Purple wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:45 pm
While I don't obsess over strings too much, I must admit that I find it hard to forget the small imperfections of some of my instruments, and don't really stop thinking about them until they're fixed.

Things like a bridge that I just can't adjust right, fret wear inconsistencies, a slipping tuner, etc. I'll get round to fixing all of those things over time, but as I fix things on a guitar I think I probably start focusing on smaller and smaller issues each time.
I am somewhat the same. Ever since I found places like Harmony Central, I've learned what to look for, and ever since I met a luthier, I know how to get them fixed. One reason why I went through about 40 guitars in 10 years. ALL of the 'flavour of the month' guitars that were touted there, and that I bought, are gone. Some of them would've made other guitarists perfectly happy (and did, because they were getting my post-pro-setup guitars), but I could still tell the differences between a very good guitar and a not so good guitar, no matter how well setup. What I've got left are pretty damn good, and I just try to adjust my playing style to suit the guitars.
“We're an Anarcho-Syndicalist commune”
Dennis

Hermetech Mastering
KVRian
1014 posts since 30 May, 2003 from Paris

Post Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:29 am

Settled on my bass (LaBella Flats) and electric (Daddario Chromes Flats) guitar strings over a decade ago. For acoustic I'm still trying out lots, but keep coming back to Martin SP 13s, swapping between 80/20s for old school sound that dies quickly, and more modern PBs that don't sound quite as good to my ears, but keep their tone for much longer.

Vectorman
KVRian
1263 posts since 6 May, 2005 from Michigan, USA

Post Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:51 pm

EB Regular Slinkies for guitar. For bass, I've been settled for a while on DR Sunbeam 40-95's.

tapper mike
KVRAF
4954 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Post Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:12 pm

Mister Natural wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:09 am
I just get the cheapest ones I can find and don't think about it further
8)
peace
I used to be like that and they were SiT's which reminded me a little of GHS boomers. But then came the time when I could no longer find SiT's (pre internet) and switched to D'addario simply because of the colored ends and the fact that they were more environmentally friendly.

As for string changing. Used to every two weeks like clockwork. Then found if I simply wiped them clean before and after use they lasted longer.

Honestly, when I do buy strings I'll buy about 6 to 10 sets at a time. Six months can pass before I change em.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”