Best Antivirus Software for a Windows DAW

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just downloaded malware bytes to check my pc. No issues, so seems like that built in virus scanner in win10 is enough. Though I don't visit dodgy sites or download anything questionable so maybe I'm safe 8)

But, dude! Didn't you read the post before yours? We're all in great danger!!! At least according to what the "expert" had to say.

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:45 am But, dude! Didn't you read the post before yours? We're all in great danger!!! At least according to what the "expert" had to say.
Well, we are always at risk, for many reasons. :shrug:

One of my Windows 10 installations got f***ckd three times already, and it wasn't because of any virus. It seems that Windows 10 doesn't like to share the same machine with Windows 7. If I work in a session in Windows 10, and shut down my machine, having Windows 7 as my default OS, next time I turn the machine on, the Windows 10 boot loader appears, stays there for a while, and then crashes. Machine restarts and this the Windows 7 boot loader (which is not the same) appears. I click to launch Windows 7, but it recognizes that there was a crash before, and attempts to check the disks. If I let the check disk run, it will detect a lot of errors in Windows 10 disk, and tries to "repair" them.

Result: Windows 10 becomes unbootable, and I have to reinstall it from scratch. The only solution is tp choose restart instead of shutting down when leaving Windows 10. It then restarts with the Windows 7 boot loader. I may then shut down the computer safely. This problem is there since the early Preview Builds. I reported it to Microsoft, they solved it when the first Windows 10 was launched, but after launching the Creators Edition, it reappeared.
Last edited by fmr on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I've been using the built in one with W10 for over a year now - no problems whatsoever.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:45 am We're all in great danger!!!
Well.. Maybe if Kvr starts spreading a virus, then we're screwed :lol: (except monkey)

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:45 am But, dude! Didn't you read the post before yours? We're all in great danger!!! At least according to what the "expert" had to say.
Well, actually, I'm pretty familiar with this field. With several certifications and a MA degree. So go figure. :shrug:
No signature here!

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:25 am
Well.. Maybe if Kvr starts spreading a virus, then we're screwed :lol: (except monkey)
Event though you're joking, that could easily happen any day. One of the stupid misconceptions is that "if I do not visit shady sites nothing happens". One can get infected anyway. There's plenty of cases where big media outlets, government websites, blogs and so on, have distributed some really nasty malware ether through direct hacks or through hijacked ad's.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:15 pm
Event though you're joking, that could easily happen any day. One of the stupid misconceptions is that "if I do not visit shady sites nothing happens". One can get infected anyway. There's plenty of cases where big media outlets, government websites, blogs and so on, have distributed some really nasty malware ether through direct hacks or through hijacked ad's.
What nobody ever explained yet is why those would only attack Windows. If they are using ad's or direct hacks, those would be basically generic code, not OS specific, right?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:59 pm
robotmonkey wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:15 pm
What nobody ever explained yet is why those would only attack Windows. If they are using ad's or direct hacks, those would be basically generic code, not OS specific, right?
Nope. Malwertising usually uses ads to target a specific vulnerability in a browser or a browser plugin like Flash or Adobe Reader on sites that display the said ads. Exploits are usually operating system and software version specific. Windows is mainly targeted because everyone uses it. It's simple cost/benefit analysis. There's little point in putting effort into targeting software that no one is using. This does not mean that OS X is never targeted but with Windows it is often possible to target several versions like 7, 8 and10 at once.
No signature here!

What about the CPU vulnerabilities? Does the anti-malware software protect us from those also?

EnGee wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:19 pm What about the CPU vulnerabilities? Does the anti-malware software protect us from those also?
Basically no. You need to patch your CPU microcode (eg install BIOS updates for your motherboard) and operating system. Fortunately these are vulnerabilities that regular computer users should not freak out about yet.
No signature here!

Great then :tu:
For me I'm comfortable using my ISP McAfee security :)

robotmonkey wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:11 pm Well, actually, I'm pretty familiar with this field. With several certifications and a MA degree.
A degree in malvertising? :P

Windows defender for windows 10 is actually very nice. It is free, it scans all the files you open and it is fast. Saved my pc a couple of times. Other antivirus solutions makes pc much slower. Before windows 10 I just didn't use any anti-virus software because of huge performance issues

NikTS wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:43 am Windows defender for windows 10 is actually very nice. It is free, it scans all the files you open and it is fast. Saved my pc a couple of times. Other antivirus solutions makes pc much slower. Before windows 10 I just didn't use any anti-virus software because of huge performance issues
That's not true though. Windows Defender is actually slower than some of the better endpoint protection products like Kaspersky.

Frankly, as Kaspersky has a free version, there's really no reason to use anything else. It's fast and the most effective product on the market. Bitdefender free is also very good when it comes to detection but it's interface too basic and it's more resource heavy.

This is not particularly addressed to you but to everyone who still spread this misinformation that Windows Defender is all you need. No, Windows Defender is not enough. It's better than nothing but it does not even come close to products like Kaspersky or Bitdefender.
I highly recommend to watch this malware analyst's test how various products perform. Just two examples of Windows Defender vs Kaspersky Free. Kaspersky beats Defender in so many ways it's not even funny (though it kind of is):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE-xdb9hTqY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXtTgP8JkSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjdVK9DjnBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoNkyD03PaQ
No signature here!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”