Best Antivirus Software for a Windows DAW

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
robotmonkey
KVRAF
2124 posts since 20 Jun, 2012

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:33 am

People saying that they encountered virus last time 20 years ago have zero idea what they are talking about. No one should take this seriously.

Not only has the volume of malware and the likelihood for regular user of getting infected skyrocketed, the nature of viruses has changed dramatically. At the time of Windows 98 if you got infected the most likely effect was your computer getting slow or the virus annoying you in other ways. In more malicious cases you could also loose your data but most of the malware was just created to troll people. These days malware does everything to remain undetected and unnoticeable for the regular end user. And in most cases, the intent is malicious - either stealing information, using computer resources for attacking other systems or just destroying data. With connected systems it's also easier than ever to get infected.

So suggesting that people do not need a good malware defense is, frankly, idiotic. These days one needs to have more than ever a good multi layered security in place.
No signature here!

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
1626 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Re: Best Antivirus Software for a Windows DAW

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:21 am

Just downloaded malware bytes to check my pc. No issues, so seems like that built in virus scanner in win10 is enough. Though I don't visit dodgy sites or download anything questionable so maybe I'm safe 8)

chk071
KVRAF
18860 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:45 am

But, dude! Didn't you read the post before yours? We're all in great danger!!! At least according to what the "expert" had to say.

fmr
KVRAF
8509 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:14 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:45 am
But, dude! Didn't you read the post before yours? We're all in great danger!!! At least according to what the "expert" had to say.
Well, we are always at risk, for many reasons. :shrug:

One of my Windows 10 installations got f***ckd three times already, and it wasn't because of any virus. It seems that Windows 10 doesn't like to share the same machine with Windows 7. If I work in a session in Windows 10, and shut down my machine, having Windows 7 as my default OS, next time I turn the machine on, the Windows 10 boot loader appears, stays there for a while, and then crashes. Machine restarts and this the Windows 7 boot loader (which is not the same) appears. I click to launch Windows 7, but it recognizes that there was a crash before, and attempts to check the disks. If I let the check disk run, it will detect a lot of errors in Windows 10 disk, and tries to "repair" them.

Result: Windows 10 becomes unbootable, and I have to reinstall it from scratch. The only solution is tp choose restart instead of shutting down when leaving Windows 10. It then restarts with the Windows 7 boot loader. I may then shut down the computer safely. This problem is there since the early Preview Builds. I reported it to Microsoft, they solved it when the first Windows 10 was launched, but after launching the Creators Edition, it reappeared.
Last edited by fmr on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

do_androids_dream
KVRAF
2871 posts since 26 Oct, 2007 from Kent, UK

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:18 am

I've been using the built in one with W10 for over a year now - no problems whatsoever.

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
1626 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:25 am

chk071 wrote:
We're all in great danger!!!
Well.. Maybe if Kvr starts spreading a virus, then we're screwed :lol: (except monkey)

robotmonkey
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:11 am

chk071 wrote:
Well, actually, I'm pretty familiar with this field. With several certifications and a MA degree. So go figure. :shrug:
No signature here!

robotmonkey
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:15 am

Distorted Horizon wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:25 am
chk071 wrote:
Well.. Maybe if Kvr starts spreading a virus, then we're screwed :lol: (except monkey)
Event though you're joking, that could easily happen any day. One of the stupid misconceptions is that "if I do not visit shady sites nothing happens". One can get infected anyway. There's plenty of cases where big media outlets, government websites, blogs and so on, have distributed some really nasty malware ether through direct hacks or through hijacked ad's.
No signature here!

fmr
KVRAF
8509 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:59 am

robotmonkey wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:15 am
Distorted Horizon wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Event though you're joking, that could easily happen any day. One of the stupid misconceptions is that "if I do not visit shady sites nothing happens". One can get infected anyway. There's plenty of cases where big media outlets, government websites, blogs and so on, have distributed some really nasty malware ether through direct hacks or through hijacked ad's.
What nobody ever explained yet is why those would only attack Windows. If they are using ad's or direct hacks, those would be basically generic code, not OS specific, right?
Fernando (FMR)

robotmonkey
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:30 am

fmr wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:59 am
robotmonkey wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:15 am
Distorted Horizon wrote:
chk071 wrote:
What nobody ever explained yet is why those would only attack Windows. If they are using ad's or direct hacks, those would be basically generic code, not OS specific, right?
Nope. Malwertising usually uses ads to target a specific vulnerability in a browser or a browser plugin like Flash or Adobe Reader on sites that display the said ads. Exploits are usually operating system and software version specific. Windows is mainly targeted because everyone uses it. It's simple cost/benefit analysis. There's little point in putting effort into targeting software that no one is using. This does not mean that OS X is never targeted but with Windows it is often possible to target several versions like 7, 8 and10 at once.
No signature here!

EnGee
KVRAF
5178 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:19 pm

What about the CPU vulnerabilities? Does the anti-malware software protect us from those also?
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

robotmonkey
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:35 pm

EnGee wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:19 pm
What about the CPU vulnerabilities? Does the anti-malware software protect us from those also?
Basically no. You need to patch your CPU microcode (eg install BIOS updates for your motherboard) and operating system. Fortunately these are vulnerabilities that regular computer users should not freak out about yet.
No signature here!

EnGee
KVRAF
5178 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Great then :tu:
For me I'm comfortable using my ISP McAfee security :)
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

chk071
KVRAF
18860 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:24 am

robotmonkey wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:11 am
Well, actually, I'm pretty familiar with this field. With several certifications and a MA degree.
A degree in malvertising? :P

NikTS
KVRer
7 posts since 16 Aug, 2018

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:43 pm

Windows defender for windows 10 is actually very nice. It is free, it scans all the files you open and it is fast. Saved my pc a couple of times. Other antivirus solutions makes pc much slower. Before windows 10 I just didn't use any anti-virus software because of huge performance issues

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”