Korg volca > external instruments question

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Funkaroma
KVRist
110 posts since 20 Dec, 2018

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 am

Hi,

Everything works fine when I connect my volca midi out to ableton. I can record the sounds with my external midi keyboard in ableton live, but there is something which I can’t figure out.

I want to record effects automation from the volca it self after I recorded some melodies. When I try to record some effects after I created a pattern there is no automation and the knobs which I change when I do this doesn’t go in automation, but it just change the entire pattern.

Would apreciate it a lot if someone could help me out. Thanks in advance.

commuter
KVRist
59 posts since 28 May, 2008

Re: Korg volca > external instruments question

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:22 am

There's not a lot things that can be automated via midi on the volca bass, it's a pure analog synth, cutoff and resonance (peak ) are not midi controlable and can't be automated...but cutoff EG int can, you have to find a way to send midi CC from live , if you have SUITE , you have MAX4live and there's plenty of editor for the Volca Bass...You can't record automation from the volca to Ableton (no midi out on the Volca) but the other way around.
If you speak about recording automation directly on the Volca, it's the same , only a few parameters can be automated, you have to check which ones

Funkaroma
KVRist
110 posts since 20 Dec, 2018

Re: Korg volca > external instruments question

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:13 am

commuter wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:22 am
There's not a lot things that can be automated via midi on the volca bass, it's a pure analog synth, cutoff and resonance (peak ) are not midi controlable and can't be automated...but cutoff EG int can, you have to find a way to send midi CC from live , if you have SUITE , you have MAX4live and there's plenty of editor for the Volca Bass...You can't record automation from the volca to Ableton (no midi out on the Volca) but the other way around.
If you speak about recording automation directly on the Volca, it's the same , only a few parameters can be automated, you have to check which ones
Oh, that is kinda disappointing.. I have suite, so I would look into max4live. Btw it is the volca keys I’m talking about. There is also no way to sync a audio clip to abeltons tempo right? If it is possible, then I could record it motion sequence etc. from the volca itself. The way I am doing it now is without any effects or first recording the metronome from the volca itself to ableton and then finding to match the tempo with live. It is really cumbersome if you ask me, but it works.

User avatar
sin night
KVRian
1218 posts since 1 Aug, 2006 from Italy

Re: Korg volca > external instruments question

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:20 pm

You should send midi clock from Ableton Live to the Volca Keys, so it slaves its tempo to Live.

Also, the Volca has only midi in, but no midi out (unless modded), so you can't write any automation in Live by moving the knobs on the Volca.
You have two solution for automation:
- use the internal sequencer of the Volca Keys (with flux mode? it's been a while since the last time I turned on that synth, I don't remember very well its procedures), although it's limited to the pattern (and it repeats along with the notes you entered) and I think there was a limit on how many parameters can be automated at once (four I think?)
- automate it through midi, by "painting" the automation in Live and sending it to the Volca Keys.

The Volca Keys has a pretty extensive midi implementation (everything responds to midi control changes, except the resonance control), so it's easy to automate from a computer.

There is also this vst plugin editor for the Volca Keys priced at 5,90€ / 6,90$, which is cheaper than getting Max4Live just for that task (of course Max4Live has a lot more to offer)... or you can just write the right control changes in Live, without the help of any editor (look at the "midi implementation chart" of the Volca Keys to know the exact values).

I don't know the exact procedures in Live (I work with Cubase), but it should be straightforward...

lfm
KVRAF
4954 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Re: Korg volca > external instruments question

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:58 pm

sin night wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:20 pm
The Volca Keys has a pretty extensive midi implementation (everything responds to midi control changes, except the resonance control), so it's easy to automate from a computer.
This would also mean you can do it in realtime from a midi controller, like the master keyboard - sending midi cc/nrpn/rpn to volca.

You can use midi modifiers in daw, or a midi plugin that alter whatever knob you have of master keyboard to whatever parameter volca needs.

And you can record while doing it as well, and then edit or redo. And you can do to a second midi/instrument track sending to the same port as possible notes or midi clock.

User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
23680 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Re: Korg volca > external instruments question

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Funkaroma wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 am
Hi,

Everything works fine when I connect my volca midi out to ableton.
The Volca has no midi out ... it has only midi in. This means it can receive midi, but not transmit it.

Funkaroma
KVRist
110 posts since 20 Dec, 2018

Re: Korg volca > external instruments question

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:51 pm

sin night wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:20 pm
You should send midi clock from Ableton Live to the Volca Keys, so it slaves its tempo to Live.

Also, the Volca has only midi in, but no midi out (unless modded), so you can't write any automation in Live by moving the knobs on the Volca.
You have two solution for automation:
- use the internal sequencer of the Volca Keys (with flux mode? it's been a while since the last time I turned on that synth, I don't remember very well its procedures), although it's limited to the pattern (and it repeats along with the notes you entered) and I think there was a limit on how many parameters can be automated at once (four I think?)
- automate it through midi, by "painting" the automation in Live and sending it to the Volca Keys.

The Volca Keys has a pretty extensive midi implementation (everything responds to midi control changes, except the resonance control), so it's easy to automate from a computer.

There is also this vst plugin editor for the Volca Keys priced at 5,90€ / 6,90$, which is cheaper than getting Max4Live just for that task (of course Max4Live has a lot more to offer)... or you can just write the right control changes in Live, without the help of any editor (look at the "midi implementation chart" of the Volca Keys to know the exact values).

I don't know the exact procedures in Live (I work with Cubase), but it should be straightforward...
Omg you’re a hero! I was informed that I wasn’t able to sync the patterns which I created inside the volca inside ableton, but after some settings change I finally am able to do it and completely in time! Just in audio file, but that was something I really was hoping to do when I bought this synth.

I am now going to look if it is possible also to change the knobs in a midi clip with the instructions that are posted.

Anyway, I’m atleast very happy that I don’t have to fuddle around anymore to match the tempo’s etc. in a audio clip.

Funkaroma
KVRist
110 posts since 20 Dec, 2018

Re: Korg volca > external instruments question

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:53 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm
Funkaroma wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 am
Hi,

Everything works fine when I connect my volca midi out to ableton.
The Volca has no midi out ... it has only midi in. This means it can receive midi, but not transmit it.
Yes, didn’t type that right. I meant to say midi in.

commuter
KVRist
59 posts since 28 May, 2008

Re: Korg volca > external instruments question

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:04 pm

Btw it is the volca keys I’m talking about.
oh sorry, i don't know why i read volca bass ^^
Indeed there's a bit more parameters that can be automated on the volca keys ...and loads of editors available

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”