POLL: Waves Central

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Which is closest to your view of Waves Central?

Good - no major issues.
43%
Have no strong views either way.
23%
Negative - causes me significant problems.
12%
Extremely negative - will not buy any further Waves products until it is more reliable.
10%
Irrelevant - I will never buy more Waves products regardless.
12%

Total votes: 114

jancivil
KVRAF
17897 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:12 pm

I bought some Waves things at the start of my digital music journey, back in '03. They pulled the rug out from under me with a new protection model (I don't even recall what really) and rather than try and sort it out I figured it looked like a sketchy path forward with them. I wasn't very invested, I bought the most modest things I saw at the time.

Teksonik
KVRAF
12334 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: POLL: Waves Central

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:16 pm

I tried a couple of their freebies but found them pretty common sounding. They certainly didn't inspire me to bother with installing yet another license manager and waveshell or to hassle with WUP. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Harry_HH
KVRAF
3346 posts since 4 Aug, 2006 from Helsinki

Post Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:16 am

jancivil wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:12 pm
I bought some Waves things at the start of my digital music journey, back in '03. They pulled the rug out from under me with a new protection model (I don't even recall what really) and rather than try and sort it out I figured it looked like a sketchy path forward with them. I wasn't very invested, I bought the most modest things I saw at the time.
-03, hmmm, then the Waves authorization was via the iLok, until about 2009, when the launced their own authorizer, today called the Waves Central. I have not seen the pre-iLok era, whatever it was.

pixel85
KVRist
378 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:31 am

AdvancedFollower wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:25 am
Gamma-UT wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:01 am
I think people have got themselves into a situation where they must update as a Pavlovian response.
It's not the fault of the users. As computer users, we're taught to make sure we always have the latest versions of drivers and software, so we receive all the bugfixes and compatibility updates (and in the case of Internet-connected software, also security updates.). It's easy to forget that you should make an exception to this rule for Waves.
So computer users were also taught to not use a common sense, not to read what they signing or accepting by clicking Yes or No when asked, not to read what's in the question... NOT!
What you described is stupidity nothing more.
If someone learned that s/he must accept everything what they're asked for like a mindless husk then it's only their fault that they can't use a common sense.
Every single time when you're asked to update or upgrade something it's your responsibility to read what and why you should or shouldn't update. Everything from software to hardware, new updates can spoil everything. Just look around, it's not just about Waves. It's the issue with audio interfaces, graphic cards, OS... Millions of times these updates spoil programs or even whole computers and yet so many people still can't get a conclusion that maybe, just maybe they should think first before they agree to update something. It's not developers fault that some people can't understand these simple principles

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2610 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:10 am

pixel85 - there is a world of difference between developers having a function that may cause unintended consequences, and Waves Central where, by design, it will break users installations on its default option for anyone owning a v9 plugin. The wording says to update - yes, we can argue all day about the merits or not of doing this in general - but it says nothing about updating to a version that you don't even own. THAT is the problem.

It might make you feel very superior to blame users for everything, but it remains an absolutely terrible example of UI / UX.

https://youtu.be/JyQKi1e3GSY
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

simon.a.billington
KVRAF
1550 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:30 am

Teksonik wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:16 pm
I tried a couple of their freebies but found them pretty common sounding. They certainly didn't inspire me to bother with installing yet another license manager and waveshell or to hassle with WUP. :shrug:
No-one generally puts their best stuff up for grabs for free. Although Sibilance does do quite a good, transparent job in a new tech way.

You can’t grab it for free now though.

Bombadil
KVRAF
3149 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Far From the Twisted Reach of Crazy Sorrow

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:40 am

I only recently decided to get the Abbey Road Chambers and Plates plugins. The first time around, with the Chambers, I had a minor difficulty that was attributable to, as HAL would put it, 'human error.' The Plates installation went smoothly. I haven't had any experience with their WUP or whatever it's called. If there's anything that really bothers me, I am not too heavily invested in it, and since I already have IK's TrackS 5 Galore, I don't really feel the need for any other EQ or dynamics processors.
“We're an Anarcho-Syndicalist commune”
Dennis

Teksonik
KVRAF
12334 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 am

simon.a.billington wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:30 am
Teksonik wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:16 pm
No-one generally puts their best stuff up for grabs for free.
The two freebies if I remember correctly were a reverb and delay that had been been sold at regular prices. People paid full price for them in the past so I guess they got ripped off by not buying Waves' "best stuff". :shrug:

Of course you don't want to give your best stuff away but if you give away things that sound common then you take the risk that you'll lose more customers than you gain. Especially when those common sounding plugins require bloat like Waves Central while other plugins in the same quality range do not. :wink:

Anyway if you like Waves plugins and don't mind the bloat and the WUP and issues caused by waveshell then by all means party on.

I have simply put Waves on my "will not buy list"......... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Effects”