SampleTank 4 on the way

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3 SampleTank 4 SampleTank 4 MAX SampleTank 4 SE SampleTank Custom Shop

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:05 pm
DrumAddict wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:45 pm
crisis-at-music wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:34 pm
Burillo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:11 pm Strings part 3 and 4 are corrupt. i've redownloaded them twice, no luck.
Happens also here. Downloaded twice but no luck.
same here .

but last time i downloaded ST4_Strings_Samples_Part3.dmg and ST4_Strings_Samples_Part3.dmg and unpacked it with the freeware 7zip , the unpacked dmg are also contains the windows installer .

i see user jcgam has beat me with the answere .
That's probably the best suggestion at the moment as this has been reported and is being fixed but in the mean time that's likely the best workaround. Thank you for that, I was just coming here to confirm these two files were reported, confirmed, and being fixed.
If this is confirmation that something is fubar with one of the content installers, does that mean the guys who are (eventually) getting the USB flash drives are going to have defective product delivered as well?

Bruceferraudi wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:35 pm Any other comments on stability or sounds from other users?
Many people only post problems, but I've had absolutely no issues with crashing, and I've been using it all day today and yesterday.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:07 pm Thank you for the detailed review. I'll make sure the team reads this and also that you didn't get enough absurdity for your liking too ;)
Thank you for reading. I'm crossing my fingers for some accordion.
Bruceferraudi wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:32 pm Thank you so much Stardust33 for your review/response!! Your insights are both indespensible and reassuring. :tu:

As far as sounds, Piano was already good enough for me but great to hear it's even better! Guitars are important and they were already decent but also nice to hear theyve improved. It's interesting how the orchestral sounds are a bit incomplete for the standard version but I ordered the Max and these sounds aren't the most important for me anyhow. Drums I have well covered with other stuff but it's nice to have good quality stuff all in the same gui/kit/instrument.

Disappointed about the lack of new ethnic offerings but happy to hear about the greatly improved choirs as they were probably the weakest part of V3, besides stability. And I suppose I have enough between V3 and NI W Africa plus I think Max might have a few more.

Funnily enough you spoke least about my 3 favorite categories-Chromatic percussion, bass guitar and electric piano/Rhodes. Again, V3 was already decent to good in these categories but excited to hear the new versions too and despite also having Scarbee Rhodes and bass I can't seem to get enough of these instruments.

Cheers and much thanks again 🤗
No problem. I'm happy to share the joy.

I do miss some of the better drum sets in the Max version, so you are likely to find something even better. I also can't comment on percussion, since they aren't available in this tier.

Electric piano is another one that's a bit difficult to comment on. It's just not the type of instrument to land the punch. I do agree with what you said there; I did find ST3's electric piano to sound better than some well-liked competing brand. While the jump from 3 to 4 is not as insane as some other instruments, I do find ST4 electric pianos to be both fairly realistic and in good quality. Clavinet, on the other hand, lands that punch I desire, but it's listed as a chromatic instrument.

Aside from the clavinet that I treat as an electric piano, there are some very solid and high quality mallet sounds. What surprises me the most today is they were able to capture the emotions in the piano songs I played them through. The mallets were nowhere this good back in ST3/Miro2. On the downside, the chromatic section doesn't have a church bell that I can use to create a scenery of incoming village people with pitch fork and torches. It'd be very nice to have that as an option.

I remember bass for ST3 was a solid instrument. The sound was clear and establishes itself well even against the bigger brands. ST4's bass is even more clear and sharper. I don't have Modo Bass, so I can't compare between the two.

I have a ton of problems with this.

Windows 10, 32 GB of RAM, 2 TB HD, ST4 4.01.

1. I cant resize the screen
2. I found out that only ST4 instruments can access the mod matrix. ST3 instruments can't. :x :x :x That's some bullshit right there
3. It doesn't read ANY of the imported ST2 sounds at all :x :x :x :x
4. Only Element LFOs & User Envelopes are only available for ST4 sounds :x :x :x :x
5. You can only import FOLDERS of files and not individual files

Let's not forget the fact of the downloading of all the files that takes a hella long time.

I'm HIGHLY pissed about not be able to use the mod matrix in any other sounds besides ST4. WTF would I want it for? I was anticipating this for the fact that I have all the older ST2 libraries that don;t have these features. And in the overview video, it's not stated that these features are only for the new sounds. I've been a long term customer of IK. But this is really some bullshit. It's a sloppy release and half done & doesn't live up to any expectations. It's a downgrade. I was highly anticipating this, but now I feel like a dumbass. There is no reason for me to have this if I can manipulate the 40 GBs of old ST2 sounds that I have with the same integrity as the new ones. I'm not trying to buy new samples every 2 years, that's not what creating music is always about.

Excuse my language. I don't usually get pissed about software, but I work hard for my money and I feel like IK is pulling a fast one to pay for their new studio. If they want to kill Sampletank by not adding features for all to use or half-assign everything, just do like all respectable companies and let it die. Knowing how this company is, it'll be over a year before any of these issues are ever taken seriously.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

. I found out that only ST4 instruments can access the mod matrix. ST3 instruments can't.
Uh thats not what i expected. I wonder if functionality will be added in the future.

So, I updated to SampleTank v4.0.1 (MacOS) and now all the ST4 multis have disappeared...ST3 still present. Revert to 4.0.0 and they reappear!

Also just realized that only the ST4/3 multis will open. Select an ST2 or custom multi and it will load - but with no instruments.

If you get an extra ST3 pack through the crossgrade, like London Grooves - in my case, it will not open in ST3 and it doesn't seem to have any multi feature.

And the GUI, as beautiful as it looks, is not resizable - only fullscreen-able. Ugggh
Last edited by Vaultnaemsae on Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Glad I sat this one out.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

i wont be buying until some later versions when all the bugs are worked out. always felt version 1.0 is always public beta releases. In all honestly i'm not even all that excited anymore.

I wonder if it makes a difference whether you already use IKM products or not, because when I read about all the problems people have I can’t believe how lucky I’ve been. For me most things went smoothly. But I had no previous IKM products on my system. I started with downloading and installing ST3 and while I did I noticed that IKM where still fiddling with the ST4 content folders. I could see how everything kept changing whenever I did an IKM site refresh. So I started downloading ST4 folders later. ST3 works fine, ST4 works fine except for the triple sound entries. I’m currently downloading Syntronik and keep my fingers crossed that all goes well.

BTW I didn’t use the content installer, but did my own copying once I got the hang of the folder structure. As other people already commented, if there’s a bug in your Windows file use the macOS content libraries. If you use the content installer it might say "content could not be copied", but check in the Sampletank folder it might be there despite this message. That happened to me with Miroslav CE part1 & Chromatic. However, except for the download marathon I’m very happy with ST4, but it’s annoying that these days more often than not the customers end up as beta testers.

I hope that you do stretch out the introductory price being launch day. Some of us are having a little problem getting the money together, especially with kid's birthday's coming up!!

Those of you who have the max version...do you think an upgrade from Sampletank 4 standard to max makes sense contentwise?

i didn't "install" the soundsets - just copied them to a directory and pointed SampleTank 4 to them.

does anyone else have all SampleTank 4 content in triplicates?
2019-02-24_10-54-17.png
also, i don't see any ST2-imported content.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

For the love of god IK don't you have any beta testers or any kind of quality control ? If you have to release a 4.01 the day after 4.00 is released then there is a fundamental problem with your development process.

Oh well I saw this coming and didn't "upgrade" to ST4 with the pre-order. Now you can see why.

I'll pass on ST4 or wait until the inevitable group buy. Hopefully by then the bugs will be ironed out after the early adopters do their free beta testing for you.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

VST3 version crashes REAPER when loading it.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Only the VST3 version is resizeable. The VST2 version isn't.

Imported ST2 sounds are only visible if you de-select all the libraries and then choose the "Imported In..." category. I think it may be "Import Instruments" but you can't make the column wider. ST2 sounds are just a giant flat list. If you switch to folder mode (click the folder icon at the top near the word "LIBRARY" you lose the ability to select "no" library and since the ST2 sounds aren't in a library you can't select them any more.
-Matt

Return to “Instruments”