Buss Compressor Alternative To Brainworx Townhouse

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not spending $300 on a buss compressor but I do love what that thing does. Big sound without demolishing the transients all while annihilating everything else if you abuse the crap out of it. Great for big rock band sound.

I have Brainworkx E or G, that I got second hand. Not sure which one. All I know is it doesn't quite get me to where the townhouse seems to go.

So what are the alternatives (if any) that don't cost an arm and a leg?
Last edited by wagtunes on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damn, you missed the 24hr sale last week for $29, have you tried The Glue

griffin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:35 pm Damn, you missed the 24hr sale last week for $29, have you tried The Glue
Are you f'ing kidding me?

yep, it was $29 last week.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

The Glue
IK Buss Compressor
SSL Buss Compresor
DMG TrackComp...
... or any other SSL 4k buss compression emulator will be similar to Townhouse - which is an SSL buss compressor with some modifications. Not sure of the details.

Any compressor can be used as a buss compressor - usually you want low ratios, no higher than 2:1, an attack around 30-50ms, a release in the 100-800ms range - i usually make these setting with the threshold high and then bring the threshold down slowly why listening closely as the compression starts to kick in. the "usual" way to do "glue" with an SSL buss comp is to get the GR meter to just wiggle a bit. :phones:

Just checked my email, it wasn't last week but just over two weeks ago.

Plenty of 'character' compressors out there to smash shit with (Klanghelm MJUC being my fave personally) but if you want something to use as a quite clean buss 'glue'compressor for rokk, then try TDR Kotelnikov (free). Haven't done a mix without it in a couple of years now, very good at bringing out detail and adding punchiness.

plexuss wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:44 pm The Glue
IK Buss Compressor
SSL Buss Compresor
DMG TrackComp...
... or any other SSL 4k buss compression emulator will be similar to Townhouse - which is an SSL buss compressor with some modifications. Not sure of the details.
Ditto to the above.

The Glue is a bit cleaner than Townhouse and even the IK version, but still rocks. I use it regularly even with the other options available. There'll also eventually be an HD update to The Glue, so it's got that going for it.

The SSL style compressors all do a good job of living in the same ballpark, so it's just about which one you think sounds best on a given source or day or just happens to be at the right price. I think everyone should own at least one because it's so great on the Drum Bus and 2-Bus. I like the sound so much I've even got a Stam SA-4000 [hardware clone] coming (whenever they eventually get the parts in to build the thing - they're notoriously slow).

You can get the Townhouse for 29€ here:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=521281

plexuss wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:44 pm The Glue
IK Buss Compressor
SSL Buss Compresor
DMG TrackComp...

Any compressor can be used as a buss compressor - usually you want low ratios, no higher than 2:1, an attack around 30-50ms, a release in the 100-800ms range - i usually make these setting with the threshold high and then bring the threshold down slowly why listening closely as the compression starts to kick in. the "usual" way to do "glue" with an SSL buss comp is to get the GR meter to just wiggle a bit. :phones:
Except I'm looking for something I can abuse the shit out of and still sound good. I have buss compressors. None of them can really be pushed as much as I'd like. Of course I do have MJUC and haven't tried really abusing that yet (figured being so cheap what was the point) but maybe I'll give that a shot.

If you have Brainworkx E or G, check your user account on Plugin Alliance site, I think that you can get townhouse there by a lower price (but unfortunately, not $29). Best choice, pricewise, is to wait for Waves SSL Bus compressor appear on some $29 promo.

donkey tugger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:52 pm Plenty of 'character' compressors out there to smash shit with (Klanghelm MJUC being my fave personally) but if you want something to use as a quite clean buss 'glue'compressor for rokk, then try TDR Kotelnikov (free). Haven't done a mix without it in a couple of years now, very good at bringing out detail and adding punchiness.
I just downloaded TDR and will give it a try. I have some of their other plugs and they're very good.

What you want is Overloud Comp G.
You are currently reading my signature.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:00 pmOf course I do have MJUC and haven't tried really abusing that yet (figured being so cheap what was the point) but maybe I'll give that a shot.
:o

MJUC is one of the best compressors you can buy at any price. Try the MK3 model on a mix.

djanthonyw wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:06 pm What you want is Overloud Comp G.
Still a little pricey especially with the euro to dollar conversion.

Return to “Effects”