RELATED
PRODUCTS

yap exactly

mouse kontrol, still the best.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

NKS never went anywhere, this is simply crap because it needs Komplete kontrol, which is a pain, no macros, no FX, can only control the first device of the chain, not fully compatible with ableton instrument rack..

Then controls assignments is preset related and can't be switch to keep your personal template when you load a preset, then Komplete Keyboard controls are bad in midi, they can't send 14 bits.
Topcheese wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:14 amI think you only have to look at what Microsoft has done with Visual Studio to maybe get a hint. The goal has always been to get AND keep users, so that means some times doing whatever it takes.
next MS strategy is to slowly make user base move to VSCode (Visual Studio will never go 64 bits), even if VSCode is far from VSStudio yet, it is open source, 64 bits, multi platforms, the UI is fast, and the software generate a lot of love from user while most of VsStudio user use to report frustration about performance and functionalities.

but first MS want to make VSStudio users stop using resharper, so they implement lot of cool functionalities like Roslyn analysis, refactoring, navigation to decompiled source.. and they really do a go job on that.

Competition: Other products from Arturia, AKAI, etc are fragmenting the segment.
To me it seems like NI is winning this fight - their ecosystem is growing, while Akai stopped offering Advance keyboards with VIP as their selling point.
3rd Party Pain in the Ass Factor: DAW vendors have to maintain the compatibility over time, plugin vendors have to as well. Has adoption plateaued?
If it's well-developed, it doesn't need to require constant maintenance. Has MIDI compatibility over time been an issue?
Unclear Strategy: What is their message? Work only with your keyboard? Keyboard and DAW? Machine? Use their instruments or 3rd party ones? Komplete Kontrol is an effects host also?
Their message - NI offer is complete (sic) and fully integrated product line. Which is all many producers need. Especially new wannabe producers with no gear or years of experience.

It is, however, not something I need. As an established Ableton / Push and VIP / Advance user, I have little motivation to jump on NKS ship with Machine or Komplete Kontrol.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

drdriller wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:19 am Then controls assignments is preset related and can't be switch to keep your personal template when you load a preset
Yeah you can - you can edit the assignments and save as a new template yourself. I have 2 versions of templates for some plugins - eg Omnisphere depending on whether I'm planning on playing/performing or doing sound design.

Adapting a synth and/or a soundset to NKS is just allowing those of your users wo use NI HW controlers to -possibly- use it in a more friendly manner. It's an additional service.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:00 pm
drdriller wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:19 am Then controls assignments is preset related and can't be switch to keep your personal template when you load a preset
Yeah you can - you can edit the assignments and save as a new template yourself. I have 2 versions of templates for some plugins - eg Omnisphere depending on whether I'm planning on playing/performing or doing sound design.
your personal template is overwritten each time you load another NKS preset, NKS assignment is stored in the preset..

the workaround is to export the preset as fxp, load my template, load the fxp, save the preset... BORING

but the most boring part of NKS is Komplete Kontrol, this software could be a blast (real macro, fx controls..) but it is a pain... (can only control one device, and do not work well with ableton rack..)

We should ask all those people that made .ksd (Koresounds) presets.

drdriller wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:31 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:00 pm
your personal template is overwritten each time you load another NKS preset, NKS assignment is stored in the preset..
Yeah but you can save as many variants as you like, you don't need your workaround, just save different NKs versions.

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:37 pmYeah but you can save as many variants as you like, you don't need your workaround, just save different NKs versions.
i didn't want to save anything, i wanted to browse factory preset without breaking my personal template.

anyway i sold maschine & Komplete keyboard (for many other reasons), i am now a happy ableton / arturia user

I hope so. I rely on it heavily. Loading & tweaking VIs without reaching for the CPU has been convenient as hell. And 8 knobs is plenty for me considering instruments have up to 15 pages/groups of 8 parameters.

The only thing I don't like is it once, at least in part, effected a VI purchase. During holiday sales, I was looking at the Arturia Collection vs Zebra 2. Variety also played a part, but NKS compatibility may have been the tipping point for choosing Arturia.

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:00 pmYeah you can - you can edit the assignments and save as a new template yourself. I have 2 versions of templates for some plugins - eg Omnisphere depending on whether I'm planning on playing/performing or doing sound design.
Omnisphere is NKS? Are all of the Spectrasonics instruments NKS? NI site doesn't list them and it doesn't say on Spectrasonics' site.
The groove baby, the groove...

Well I guess I have to give a go now. I have ripped NI since KK was released for not having proper mapping for non-NI keyboards. But I guess they added a midi mapper in the late February release. I've only spent a few minutes with it, but it seems to be working ok. This actually may make the damned plugin a big advantage to use. grrrrr .. template redos are the bane of my existance.

FR (not a complaint, just a wish) MIDI control to switch the bank.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

You mean like .pdf, .ppt, and .mp3? You're suppose to never say never, but if you talking commercially I'd have to say heck no.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... portfolio/

For me, KK has too many compromises to make it particularly useful in my workflow, and not enough advantages to make up for them.

I think the NKS preset tagging will likely continue to be used by various flavours of software, but I'm not sure KK will do that much in the long run.

the old kore was much betther... you could mix some instruments, you could use the 8 buttons (on mk2 they can't be mapped) and you could morph throug 8 individual presets of your sound.
The only advance of komplete kontrol is the browser, and build in arp with chord and everything can be displayed or activated by buttons. The menu of Kore was crap in comparison.

Return to “Instruments”