Ambient, Atmospheric piece

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
frank1985
KVRist
92 posts since 4 Jun, 2018

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:28 am

Looking for feedback from those who into this genre. I've been trying to replicate some of the stuff from SomaFM. It's definitely harder than it sounds but here is my attempt...

Final version will be much shorter, about 4:30 mins, so no need to listen for the full 11 mins

https://soundcloud.com/fc1985/ambient-2
Last edited by frank1985 on Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wagtunes
KVRAF
15205 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Ambient, Atmospheric piece

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:22 pm

My Feedback

Music - 6
Instruments - 7.5
Performance - 7
Mix - 7.5

Overall - 7

Comments: Hard to critique pieces that are this long, especially when they're in this genre. So I'll take it a couple of minutes at a time.

First 2 minutes, kind of a low drone with some little plucks here and there. Volume a little low. Could probably increase it a bit.

Next 2 minutes. I'm waiting for some kind of advancement of musical idea. Something, anything to make me feel like this is going somewhere. There are a few subtle things but not much. I'm sensing that this is going to be the whole piece.

Next 2 minutes. More of the same. You could turn this track on at any point up to here and not be able to tell exactly where you are. It just all sounds the same with very little movement.

I'll stop commenting here. Don't have to listen to anymore (though I did listen to the whole track).

There is just not enough movement to keep this interesting. Even the introduction of some new sounds would have helped even if you wanted to keep the minimalist melody.

The mix itself, very dull. Nothing stands out. The pad is so muddy that it's almost non distinct. And it's not that I'm not a fan of the genre. I've done my fair share of ambient tunes. There's just not enough here to hold interest for 11 minutes unless your ultimate goal is to simply meditate. I guess for that purpose, this is acceptable.

Just doesn't do much for me musically.

frank1985
KVRist

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:46 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:22 pm
My Feedback

Music - 6
Instruments - 7.5
Performance - 7
Mix - 7.5

Overall - 7

Comments: Hard to critique pieces that are this long, especially when they're in this genre. So I'll take it a couple of minutes at a time.

First 2 minutes, kind of a low drone with some little plucks here and there. Volume a little low. Could probably increase it a bit.

Next 2 minutes. I'm waiting for some kind of advancement of musical idea. Something, anything to make me feel like this is going somewhere. There are a few subtle things but not much. I'm sensing that this is going to be the whole piece.

Next 2 minutes. More of the same. You could turn this track on at any point up to here and not be able to tell exactly where you are. It just all sounds the same with very little movement.

I'll stop commenting here. Don't have to listen to anymore (though I did listen to the whole track).

There is just not enough movement to keep this interesting. Even the introduction of some new sounds would have helped even if you wanted to keep the minimalist melody.

The mix itself, very dull. Nothing stands out. The pad is so muddy that it's almost non distinct. And it's not that I'm not a fan of the genre. I've done my fair share of ambient tunes. There's just not enough here to hold interest for 11 minutes unless your ultimate goal is to simply meditate. I guess for that purpose, this is acceptable.

Just doesn't do much for me musically.
Thanks for the feedback- turns out this actually is for meditation, but at the same time I wanted it to be semi interesting. 11 mins is totally overkill I know, the final version will be around 4 mins. I had another go at the mix anyway to get rid of some of the muddiness if u fancy another quick listen for a min or so? I may also add some more elements to the track tomorrow, like an acoustic or something.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:53 pm

Without being able to listen back to back, I can't really tell if there's any significant difference. It doesn't sound any worse but the pad is still low in volume and kind of dull. If there's a difference, it's not enough to really matter. At least not to my ears.

frank1985
KVRist

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:19 pm

It’s not really a pad anyway, more of a low drone in the bass region. I couldn’t give it more clarity without it interfering with the guitars and piano.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:32 pm

frank1985 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:19 pm
It’s not really a pad anyway, more of a low drone in the bass region. I couldn’t give it more clarity without it interfering with the guitars and piano.
Well, like I said, for meditation, it's fine. It's just not something I would sit down and listen to.

Morgaxx
KVRist
440 posts since 29 Feb, 2004 from Toronto

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:14 pm

I enjoyed listening to this. The flavor you are looking for is close. Id say you have more than enough for a nice 5min piece (perhaps even too busy for my snail brain).
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

fastlanephil
KVRian
718 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:30 pm

I thought it worked fine for atmospheric ambience music. You’re not trying to communicate a whole lot, just sounds that relax with a sprinkling of visiting sounds. Ambient music is ment not to actually be listened to in the traditional sence. It doesn’t attempt to occupy much of one’s mind but creates a back drop for one’s thoughts and feelings or activities which can even be just falling asleep. That was the original intent of it’s inventor, Brian Eno.

i didn’t think it was too long.

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7628 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:54 pm

I really really like where this is going, but it should evolve more beyond the 3 minute mark. Maybe add some ambient sound captures of nature, or rain etc. If it was me I'd probably add a nice long recording of some natural ambience such as Rain in a jungle or something.

11 minutes is not really overkill if you can make it evolve nicely enough.

frank1985
KVRist

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:07 pm

V0RT3X wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:54 pm
I really really like where this is going, but it should evolve more beyond the 3 minute mark. Maybe add some ambient sound captures of nature, or rain etc. If it was me I'd probably add a nice long recording of some natural ambience such as Rain in a jungle or something.

11 minutes is not really overkill if you can make it evolve nicely enough.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did actually add rain and forest fx in certain parts 8) Evidently I should have made them a little louder...

Richard deHove
KVRist
384 posts since 23 Mar, 2016

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:36 pm

Would work for Drone Zone on Soma and maybe the Space Music channel on DI. As calming background I like it.

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
2240 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:22 am

Ambient music is ambient. Who tries to sit down and listen for some developement did not understand its aim! Go back switch it on and do some work or meditation or something else, just let it be in the background. Then you realise that from time to time you can consciously listen and go away again...
I would not mind if this sort of true ambient music lasts an hour or more, in the end it should be timeless. If you shortened it to 4 minutes you‘d destroy it...
Think of it as sound without beginning or end...
There is no story, don‘t look for it...

layzer
KVRAF
6532 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:38 pm

Tj Shredder wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:22 am
Ambient music is ambient.
and ambient noise is noise.... no melody, no story.
people can meditate to just about anything... even to white noise, wooshing wind or
rain all night long. still isn't music. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”