SampleTank 4 on the way

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
anxiousmofo
KVRist
419 posts since 1 Apr, 2012 from bamboo tube

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:06 am

zzz00m wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:48 am
For what it's worth, I only experienced the locked libraries with v4.0.0. The first update corrected that for me somehow.
Unfortunately, I'm definitely on the latest version and with all sound updates, etc.
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Mkdaws32@gmail.com
KVRist
63 posts since 11 Jun, 2018

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:08 am

anxiousmofo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:42 am
You do great work at a terribly difficult job, Peter.
100% agreed! I would "let the cracks show" far more often, I would guess - and I probably would have been fired by now ;)

Talvin
KVRist
331 posts since 14 Mar, 2005 from Germany

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:12 am

Today I upgraded my PC to 32 GB hoping the crashes would disappear. As a test I tried loading Red Strat Full and then Black LP Full.
In standalone I had an instant crash, in Studio One 4 Black LP played no sounds.
In defense of IkMultimedia I can say that the support was really responsive and they are working on a fix. Right now it's best to avoid a combination of the sounds which cause problems.

Mkdaws32@gmail.com
KVRist
63 posts since 11 Jun, 2018

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:17 am

My experience with memory usage with ST4 (Standard Edition) in Reaper is detailed below. It's hard to draw conclusions from this, but it looks like ST4 is grabbing a huge amount of RAM to begin with and then letting some of it go. It does seem to share memory across instances, although it takes a while to settle in. Some strange behavior noted, but I'm the first to concede that I know very little about memory management in a modern operating system like Windows 10. It also looks like it might be scanning the full samples to begin with and then, after a short while, releasing the bits it doesn't need due to disk streaming. All I can conclude is that it does not look like there are memory leaks, per se, but I need to do more testing with more instruments playing at a time (when playing, it was real-time on a single instrument at a time).

Here are the deets:

Open new empty Reaper v5 Session: DAW consumes 34.3 MB RAM (yeah - Reaper is that light!)

Add track and 1st ST4 empty instance: RAM usage jumps to 2122.0 MB, but within 1 minute drops to 1104.1 MB

Add track and 2nd ST4 empty instance: RAM usage jumps to 3171.8 MB and after a minute seems to hold at 3113.7 MB

Add track and 3rd ST4 empty instance: RAM usage jumps to 5287.4 MB and after a minute seems to hold at 5200.9 MB

Add track and 4th ST4 empty instance: RAM usage jumps to 7313.0 MB and after a minute seems to hold at 7167.8 MB

Load C7 Grand Close Mic - Natural in 1st instance: RAM jumps to 8143.8 MB and holds

Load C7 Grand Close Mic - Natural in 2nd instance: RAM jumps to 8246.5 MB and holds (seem to indicate memory sharing with first instance)

Load Acoustic Pop Kit into 3rd instance: RAM jumps to 8891.3 MB and holds

Load Black LP Full Key switch into 4th instance: RAM jumps to 10,370.9 MB and holds

So 4 instruments in 4 instances and we are consuming about 10 GB

Now wait... Came back after 10 minutes RAM usage drops to 5371.6 MB

Playing the instruments real-time across all keys and various velocity points did not increase memory use significantly after this time.

After playing around for a bit longer, memory dropped to 4442.1 MB with all 4 instances still running and all four instruments loaded (did not expect this and did not notice when it happened exactly)

Unloaded C7 from 1st instance: RAM usage dropped to 4405.0 MB (no significant drop).

Wait 5 minutes: RAM 4404.9 MB (still no significant change).

Unloaded C7 from 2nd instance: RAM usage dropped to 4356.6 MB

Wait 5 minutes: RAM 4356.6 MB (no change)

Unloaded Pop Kit from 3rd instance: RAM usage rose to 4359.1 MB (a little strange but not significant)

Wait 5 minutes: RAM 4359.1 MB (no change)

Unloaded lack LP from 4th instance: RAM usage dropped immediately to 1584.2 MB (very surprising)

Wait 5 minutes: RAM usage dropped to 1584.1 MB (effectively no change)

Closed 1st ST4 instance: RAM usage dropped to 1387.1 MB

Wait 1 minute

Closed 2nd instance: RAM usage dropped to 1328.7 MB

Wait 1 minute

Closed 3rd instance: RAM usage dropped to 1297.9 MB

Wait 1 minute

Closed 4th instance: RAM usage dropped to 49.3 MB

Wait 1 minute

RAM still at 49.4 MB (effectively no change)

ShawnMH
KVRist
83 posts since 3 Jun, 2016

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:13 am

Talvin wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:12 am
Today I upgraded my PC to 32 GB hoping the crashes would disappear. As a test I tried loading Red Strat Full and then Black LP Full.
In standalone I had an instant crash, in Studio One 4 Black LP played no sounds.
In defense of IkMultimedia I can say that the support was really responsive and they are working on a fix. Right now it's best to avoid a combination of the sounds which cause problems.
I get instant crashes every single time I go from Red Strat Full KS to Black LP Full KS, or from Black to Red. Either way, this is in stand-alone.

I do not have the patience to try that move in a DAW yet

32GB memory on my pc too

griffin
KVRist
176 posts since 10 Jan, 2005

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:30 am

I'm curious about the ram usage issue as i've run into problems with ram usage while gaming and learned that windows doesn't let go of standby memory like it should and causes the games to start chugging. Gamers were dl'ing a program called intelligent standby cleaner that automatically wipes standby memory when the set amount of freespace is left. https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... memory+bug

User avatar
Peter - IK Multimedia
KVRAF
6295 posts since 20 Oct, 2009

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 am

Please note I've added to the SampleTank 4 Status post with the resource usage and additional crash reports items.

Edit - sorry I hit "Submit" too soon. They are:
  • Added March 13 2019: Heavy resource usage [Settings to be added to decrease resource footprint]
  • Added March 13 2019: Additional crashes reported[will be fixed in 4.0.3]
UNO Synth tutorial videos
Follow IK on Facebook for flash giveaways, exclusives, and more.
SampleTank 4 announced and available for pre-order.

zzz00m
KVRAF
1799 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:35 am

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 am
Please note I've added to the SampleTank 4 Status post with the resource usage and additional crash reports items.

Edit - sorry I hit "Submit" too soon. They are:
  • Added March 13 2019: Heavy resource usage [Settings to be added to decrease resource footprint]
  • Added March 13 2019: Additional crashes reported[will be fixed in 4.0.3]
Thank you! :tu:
Windows 10; with instruments from Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

Mkdaws32@gmail.com
KVRist
63 posts since 11 Jun, 2018

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:39 am

griffin wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:30 am
I'm curious about the ram usage issue as i've run into problems with ram usage while gaming and learned that windows doesn't let go of standby memory like it should and causes the games to start chugging. Gamers were dl'ing a program called intelligent standby cleaner that automatically wipes standby memory when the set amount of freespace is left. https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... memory+bug
I'm very curious as well. So you are saying that the way I am seeing RAM released after a few minutes might be a Windows thing rather than a Sampletank thing. BUT... Sampletank 4 is allocating a LOT of RAM upfront (maybe to expedite loading?) before releasing it.

Mkdaws32@gmail.com
KVRist
63 posts since 11 Jun, 2018

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 am

zzz00m wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:35 am
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 am
Please note I've added to the SampleTank 4 Status post with the resource usage and additional crash reports items.

Edit - sorry I hit "Submit" too soon. They are:
  • Added March 13 2019: Heavy resource usage [Settings to be added to decrease resource footprint]
  • Added March 13 2019: Additional crashes reported[will be fixed in 4.0.3]
Thank you! :tu:
Yes - thank you! Stability and resource improvements this soon after the release leaves a very good taste in my mouth :)

griffin
KVRist
176 posts since 10 Jan, 2005

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:02 am

Mkdaws32@gmail.com wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:39 am
I'm very curious as well. So you are saying that the way I am seeing RAM released after a few minutes might be a Windows thing rather than a Sampletank thing. BUT... Sampletank 4 is allocating a LOT of RAM upfront (maybe to expedite loading?) before releasing it.
I was wondering if the standby was full when the app was crashing but doing some testing just now and thats not the case, but what i did find was that the inuse ram instantly offloads after opening a patch and the app poofs.

Beriax
KVRer
16 posts since 1 Feb, 2019

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 am

The usb has arrived :hyper: .

I skimmed through the licence paper, and it says I can install on maximum 3 pc, and use only one at a time. What if I install on 3 pcs of mine, and then format and dump one? Can install on a new pc and still use it? Does it just mean installed on 3 pc at the same time?
If it is so, do I have to cancel the activation on a pc before formatting?

mixtur.se
KVRist
47 posts since 24 Aug, 2017

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am

Beriax wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 am
The usb has arrived :hyper: .

I skimmed through the licence paper, and it says I can install on maximum 3 pc, and use only one at a time. What if I install on 3 pcs of mine, and then format and dump one? Can install on a new pc and still use it? Does it just mean installed on 3 pc at the same time?
If it is so, do I have to cancel the activation on a pc before formatting?
Keep in mind you only have a limited amount of activations in total, and there’s no way to deregister a device (like some other vendors offer)

neverenoughfunk
KVRian
800 posts since 6 Feb, 2004

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 am

mixtur.se wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am
Beriax wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 am
The usb has arrived :hyper: .

I skimmed through the licence paper, and it says I can install on maximum 3 pc, and use only one at a time. What if I install on 3 pcs of mine, and then format and dump one? Can install on a new pc and still use it? Does it just mean installed on 3 pc at the same time?
If it is so, do I have to cancel the activation on a pc before formatting?
Keep in mind you only have a limited amount of activations in total, and there’s no way to deregister a device (like some other vendors offer)
you have to give Ik Multimedia an A+ on this...

never have a problem with asking for more activations... especially, if you are using the product legally...

Mkdaws32@gmail.com
KVRist
63 posts since 11 Jun, 2018

Re: SampleTank 4 on the way

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 am

neverenoughfunk wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 am
mixtur.se wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am
Beriax wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 am
The usb has arrived :hyper: .

I skimmed through the licence paper, and it says I can install on maximum 3 pc, and use only one at a time. What if I install on 3 pcs of mine, and then format and dump one? Can install on a new pc and still use it? Does it just mean installed on 3 pc at the same time?
If it is so, do I have to cancel the activation on a pc before formatting?
Keep in mind you only have a limited amount of activations in total, and there’s no way to deregister a device (like some other vendors offer)
you have to give Ik Multimedia an A+ on this...

never have a problem with asking for more activations... especially, if you are using the product legally...
+1 here. I’ve gone through a few workstations (a couple of which died horrible deaths) and a few re-installations and ran out of T-Racks authorizations a year or so ago - contacted support and they topped me up the next day - no issues.

Return to “Instruments”