£500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

£500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

£500 VST Instrument
18
39%
£500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller
28
61%
 
Total votes: 46

Straight2Vinyl
KVRist
243 posts since 10 Mar, 2017

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:43 pm

If I really took the time to learn all the software I have, including Komplete 11 stuff, orange tree guitars, reaper and renoise I don't think I'd really need either so it's tough to say.
I might be better served buying a bunch of vinyl for dirty sampling and scratching.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7837 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm

I've downloaded and installed stuff without Native Access in the past. It's only last year, when I bought a Maschine Mikro, that I started using it and it's been great.
AnX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:12 am
what about users who only have reaktor, or massive? it may be an advantage to ppl who own everything (tho i dont see how, its not like every product is updated every week) but its not for the average user
Whilst that is true, it is also true that it isn't any more hassle, either. It's surprising how often products are updated. Last week, for example, I had a new version of Maschine and Komplete Kontrol to install. Instead of having to go and find the installers on line, then download and install them separately, I just clicked "Update All", went and made dinner and by the time I was ready to get back to work, both products had been updated and were ready to go.

Even if you only have one product, you install Native Access instead of that product and then Native Access installs the product and authorises it for you. So from the get-go you are no worse off and after just one update you're actually ahead.

It doesn't run constantly in the background, you have to run it to check for updates, so it's not consuming system resources all the time or anything, it's just a really convenient way to check for updates and install any that are available.

It's something I first came across with Line 6, in 2005 or so, with Line 6 Monkey. I was initially skeptical but it turned out to be fantastic. I'm surprised it's taken the rest of the software world so long to catch on.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt.

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2987 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:59 pm

Some people just dont want to believe no matter what. Even if you will show everything visualy and make a proof eventualy that kind of person will try to find any argument to use it as a disproval just because he doesnt want to believe :-)

AnX
KVRAF
4127 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm

BONES wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm
It doesn't run constantly in the background, you have to run it to check for updates , so it's not consuming system resources all the time or anything, it's just a really convenient way to check for updates and install any that are available.
so i need to install extra software, then run it everyday just in case there is an update?

doesnt sound very convenient

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2987 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:01 pm

AnX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm
BONES wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm
It doesn't run constantly in the background, you have to run it to check for updates , so it's not consuming system resources all the time or anything, it's just a really convenient way to check for updates and install any that are available.
so i need to install extra software, then run it everyday just in case there is an update?

doesnt sound very convenient
... Same convenient as checking plugin website every day if there is an update.

Look if your main goal is to have only plugin installed there is no reason to say managers are bad only because you dont like it, we tried to show you that they are good, because they are in NI case, but you have your argument for disproval, if it works for you, good, be happy :tu:

Im going to repeat myself
Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:59 pm
Some people just dont want to believe no matter what. Even if you will show everything visualy and make a proof eventualy that kind of person will try to find any argument to use it as a disproval just because he doesnt want to believe :-)
Case closed.

AnX
KVRAF
4127 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:05 pm

Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:01 pm
AnX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm
BONES wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm
It doesn't run constantly in the background, you have to run it to check for updates , so it's not consuming system resources all the time or anything, it's just a really convenient way to check for updates and install any that are available.
so i need to install extra software, then run it everyday just in case there is an update?

doesnt sound very convenient
... Same convenient as checking plugin website every day if there is an update.
i dont, i get informed of updates, no effort at all

case closed

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2987 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:09 pm

AnX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:05 pm
Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:01 pm
AnX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm
BONES wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm
It doesn't run constantly in the background, you have to run it to check for updates , so it's not consuming system resources all the time or anything, it's just a really convenient way to check for updates and install any that are available.
so i need to install extra software, then run it everyday just in case there is an update?

doesnt sound very convenient
... Same convenient as checking plugin website every day if there is an update.
i dont, i get informed of updates, no effort at all

case closed
good for you man :tu:

You still have to download manualy, install, delete the installer. :clown:

AnX
KVRAF
4127 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:54 pm

delete the installer? :uhuhuh:

Hanz Meyzer
KVRian
1076 posts since 20 Oct, 2014

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:16 am

500 for the perfect master keyboard, providing golden keys and fatar keyboard, aftertouch, 2 exp. and switch pedal connectors, usb midi in/out/thru, 8 endless knobs, 8 (motor) faders, all with little text displays (bright displays), 8 drumpads, solid, workstation-grade X/Y-stick, touchslider, A and B button, very combat built not wasting a single centimeter, metal case or something very stable, no glossy look. Doesn't exist. Instead you'll get a cheap compromise always, numlocked in the 90s. So, buy software instead.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
42963 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:41 am

AnX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:05 pm
Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:01 pm
AnX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm
BONES wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm
It doesn't run constantly in the background, you have to run it to check for updates , so it's not consuming system resources all the time or anything, it's just a really convenient way to check for updates and install any that are available.
so i need to install extra software, then run it everyday just in case there is an update?

doesnt sound very convenient
... Same convenient as checking plugin website every day if there is an update.
i dont, i get informed of updates, no effort at all

case closed

not that i care what you use or dont use, but ni tend to inform us of updates too.
they dont just secretly release them in the hopes you'll check.
it's not that big an issue tbh.

User avatar
VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRian
644 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Bulgaria

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Rule what game? I can't think of a single reason to bother with a wavetable synth. Surer, I have a couple but I didn't buy 'em because they're wavetable synths, it's just what they happen to be.

Well if you are a home producer with a limited budget,you can buy few amazing wavetable vst synths and to produce any kind of music,that's the game :):):)

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7837 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:47 pm

That's ridiculous. I don't need a wavetable synth to do that at all. In fact, if that's your situation, I'd suggest you'd be better off with a sample-based instrument or a ROMpler style thing. You'll get a far broader range of options than from any wavetable synth.
AnX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm
BONES wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm
It doesn't run constantly in the background, you have to run it to check for updates , so it's not consuming system resources all the time or anything, it's just a really convenient way to check for updates and install any that are available.
so i need to install extra software, then run it everyday just in case there is an update?
Do you check for updates every day on the software you already have installed? No, of course you don't, so stop being a dick.
AnX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:05 pm
i dont, i get informed of updates, no effort at all
And when that happens, you run Native Access and it's all taken care of. No need to navigate websites or even open your browser. better still, you can unsubscribe from all the company's emails so you don't get spammed. Case closed.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt.

AnX
KVRAF
4127 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 pm

BONES wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:47 pm
AnX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm
BONES wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm
It doesn't run constantly in the background, you have to run it to check for updates , so it's not consuming system resources all the time or anything, it's just a really convenient way to check for updates and install any that are available.
so i need to install extra software, then run it everyday just in case there is an update?
Do you check for updates every day on the software you already have installed? No, of course you don't, so stop being a dick.
no, as i said, i get informed of updates. Learn to read, dick

AnX
KVRAF
4127 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:37 pm

BONES wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:47 pm
AnX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:05 pm
i dont, i get informed of updates, no effort at all
And when that happens, you run Native Access and it's all taken care of. No need to navigate websites or even open your browser. better still, you can unsubscribe from all the company's emails so you don't get spammed. Case closed.
the link to the update is in the email, no hassle at all, and no bloat software required

case closed dick

User avatar
DrGonzo
KVRAF
2172 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Re: £500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:51 am

Damn that's hard, especially when Behringer is almost giving away their hardware synths.

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
DEEP ANALOG TECHNO for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Roland S750/DJ70 - Ensoniq ASR10/EPSm

Return to “Instruments”