Is it really sick to have 20 synthesizers?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I doubt it matters much, but I have more synths than I would bother to count so I’m not exactly impartial. If you do something everyday, then variety is the spice of life, and stuff. You need as much as you need/ can justify owning. I’ve very rarely found a synth that I felt would not be useful in any situation. Just depends on how many “situations” you might encounter in a given amount of time.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

elxsound wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:35 am Do people really still say "cool?"
Like, all the time, daddio.
Jace-BeOS wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:14 pmI wish people would stop saying “sick” as a replacement for “cool” or “awesome”.
I wish people would stop saying "cool" or "awesome" as a replacement for "good" and "very good" (respectively).
Hemmick Reef wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:34 pm Has 'wicked' gone out of fashion, I never liked 'cool' very much?
"Cool" is very 60s - my Mum hated me saying it. "Wicked" is more late 80s, early 90s - I'd had her put into a home by then.
Last edited by BONES on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

elxsound wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:55 am... guitarists have shit timing. :wink:

Timing? Isn't that the job of the bass player?
Sweet child in time...

Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:31 pmI still own hardware synths and effects. They haven't been powered up in months for the same reason I drive my car everywhere I need to go instead of riding a bicycle........ :wink:
What? Because you're lazy? I ride to work at least a couple of days a week and I even walk most Fridays.
Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:58 pmThe hardware companies seem fixated on the past because they think that's what people want in the same way car companies think that all people want to drive SUVs.
The thing with both those situations is that those companies know which of their products sell the best and which ones they make the most money from. There comes a time when you just have to accept that you are not a mainstream customer any more.
There was a time we could say that hardware was superior to software in every way. That time has long since passed. I would argue that the opposite is true now..... :shrug:
As someone with a goodly amount of each, I can not but agree wholeheartedly. As much as I love my Pulse 2, MicroMonsta and Analog Keys, they can't hold a candle to Hive, Thorn or Substance. (Yes, a sample-based Kontakt instrument is better than hardware, get over it.) Hardware is still fun to play with but I can't take it seriously any more when it comes to getting things done.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Anyway, as to the original question, it will depend entirely on what each of these 20 synths are as to how cool or stupid it is. I can imagine a good range of different kinds of synths being way cool. OTOH, 20 vintage synths would definitely be stupid.

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:23 am
quantum7 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 pm I'd rather have my 5 hardware synths over every single softsynth ever made. Just saying... 8)
Then you're a f**king idiot. Just saying...
yeah because he prefers hardware he is an idiot. :roll:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Some of my synths are aestivating....

https://gizmodo.com/hibernating-aliens- ... 1795695445

I've got about 40+ soft synths and three hardware ones.
I use about half of the soft synths, the others were part of bundles.
the argument about which is better is stupid in my opinion. So far no soft synth sounds like a Memorymoog or Wretch Machine, but neither of those have 1/4 the sonic pallet of some of the more complex soft synths out there.
I also don't get the whole concept of judging other people on their methods? If the music they produce sounds good to me I'm interested, and from what I can tell, people make great songs with just a laptop, some soft synths and a mouse, and some people make great music with a full million dollar studios worth of gear. Being a thousandaire I veer towards software, I might have a few more hardware synths if I got rich, but not that many more. IMO most hardware synths have been modeled well enough with software.
Last edited by machinesworking on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ATS wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:42 am
quantum7 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 pm I'd rather have my 5 hardware synths over every single softsynth ever made. Just saying... 8)
Not to defend Bones here, but it's a ridiculously bold thing to say. Hardware is not intrinsically "better", and that is what the allusion is in that statement. I own some classics, but there's nothing like Falcon or Cypher2 in hardware. If we add in sampling and granular synthesis to the discussion, it's all over for hardware.

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:21 am Anyway, as to the original question, it will depend entirely on what each of these 20 synths are as to how cool or stupid it is. I can imagine a good range of different kinds of synths being way cool. OTOH, 20 vintage synths would definitely be stupid.
I don't think either is stupid. There's plenty of room IMO for people to sound different from each other. I hate it that most people have the same taste.

I see Bones is ruining another thread. Dude, stop quoting me, I have you blocked and I'm not reading your comments.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

machinesworking wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:57 am
ATS wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:42 am
Not to defend Bones here, but it's a ridiculously bold thing to say. Hardware is not intrinsically "better", and that is what the allusion is in that statement. I own some classics, but there's nothing like Falcon or Cypher2 in hardware. If we add in sampling and granular synthesis to the discussion, it's all over for hardware.
The problem with BONES is he has the mentality of a child; I mean he actually sits there calling people names like "stupid", "f**king idiot", "fool". It also amazes me how he thinks he knows everything; just like a teenager would. I guess some people never grow up.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 am
machinesworking wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:49 amSo far no soft synth sounds like a Memorymoog or Wretch Machine
Of course they do....
No, they don't. This isn't even worth arguing about, but here goes.
If that was the case, why did you bother making more than one synth edit plug in?
I mean with your logic one full featured soft synth covers it. Except that's not your logic, you just hate hardware "purists" to the point of not even wanting to acknowledge that some hardware has yet to be modeled well. Nothing in software sounds like the Wretch, it might be because no developer thinks people want a synth that sounds like an amplifier feeding back or tube bass head frying, but I do.

You can have all the tantrums you want about it, it's just not going to happen as of now that I'm going to find any soft synth that covers that territory. I could make a chain of FX maybe that covered the current state, but it sure the hell wouldn't cover all the states.

BONES wrote:
If the music they produce sounds good to me I'm interested, and from what I can tell, people make great songs with just a laptop, some soft synths and a mouse, and some people make great music with a full million dollar studios worth of gear. Being a thousandaire I veer towards software, I might have a few more hardware synths, but not that many more. IMO most hardware synths have been modeled well enough with software.
You were goin' OK of ra minute there, then you had to ruin it with the "modelled" bullshit. Who gives a flying fig about modelling old synths? It's pure marketing gold for developers but what good does it do, retreading old ground instead of devoting your energies to pushing boundaries forward?
Good designs are good designs. I thought the CS80 signal flow was pretty good, I like having it in soft synth form. Does it sound just like a CS80? to me not at all and I don't really care. Some modern filter designs are thin as shit sounding. In the end I only use modeled synths for basic sounds, but some sound like their own instrument, like Diva and Repro-1 which sounds nothing like a Pro 1 to me, which is great, I always thought that synth was overrated.

I don't care about marketing, or whether a synth is modern or modeled, I really don't. It's whether I like the sound, period. My list of top ten synths right now:

1. Cypher 2
2. Falcon
3. Loom
4. Pigments
5. Hive
6. Diva
7. SEM V2
8. Synclavier V
9. Repro-1 5
10. Zebra 2

Just report all of BONES' posts to the mods and he'll get banned.....again.

He just has a pathological need to argue. To be honest I feel sorry for him. Must be a very lonely person.

But I've got him blocked. I found the noise at KVR got much quieter after I did........ :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

is a thousandaire a thing?
who knew i was an "aire" :w00t!:

Return to “Instruments”