Killahpl - Freedom Force (Film Music/Symphonic Metal/Work in Progress)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, I've tried my best to stick to the rules and I don't seem to be doing anything explicitly agains them (I hope).

Here's a Dropbox link to a part of my original song, Freedom Force, which you can both stream online and download. It's a part of a longer, ~10 minute piece. It's a .wav file - the reason I'm posting a .wav file is 1. My DAW chokes up an error whenever I try to generate e.g. an .mp3 2. I haven't found anything in the rules about .wavs not being allowed 3. I haven't found anything in the rules that prohibits streaming sites.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/668obir2brtcx ... e.wav?dl=0

The file size is 18,9 mB and the sample rate is 1411 kbps - again, it's like that because of the reasons above and I've figured that if you can stream it online, the file size won't be that big of a problem.

Please note that I am primarily looking for feedback on the melodic/rhythmic content (as opposed to, say, mixing).

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

you haven't broken any rules as far as im aware?
ill check in a bit :) on the track i mean, not on the rules, i don't care about them.

There are *guidelines*; eg., lowest rate you can stand to get meaningful feedback, AND provide a direct link. .wav is not part of that sentence. I would think if KVR is hosting the file the size is relevant but I'm using dropbox.

its good that you care about rules. those that don't usually end up in prison... oh and if the body
did not follow rules, you would be dead from cancer. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

The drums just don't work, & the idea and execution is a stiff.

Learn music by playing some first.

Thank you for all the feedback.
Vortifex wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:18 pm I couldn't really get a handle on the rhythm in the sections without the solo guitar, it felt like the drum patterns you chose didn't quite gel with the timing of the chords. I was consciously trying to work out what the track was doing instead of being able to go with the flow. The melody and chords themselves were okay, I just felt like the drum pattern could be improved in order to ease the flow of the music itself. Just IMO :)
The reason why you couldn't get a handle on the rhythm is probably because I'm pretty bad when it comes to rhythm. I can listen to a song and play it on the piano so I have a decent ear in that regard, but the rhythm is something I struggle with. Anyway, I'll try something else. Would you say the drums in the solo guitar bits were okay, though? What about the tom fills (I admit I kinda like those tom fills)?

@jancivil
Thank you for the honest feedback. I fully understand that you owe me absolutely nothing... it's just that there's very little I can do with "the drums just don't work". I would greatly appreciate it if you could elaborate on that a bit, even if it's one sentence. Thanks again.

The drums are running against the feel of the music, rather than providing a solid foundation. You can drive a tune with drums like this, but with no other elements to reinforce them e.g strong supporting bassline, they just feel hastily slapped on top.

Perhaps go back to listen to some of your favourite pieces within the genres you’ve listed in your title, and try to isolate the various elements to see how they come together to make a cohesive whole.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:28 am The drums are running against the feel of the music, rather than providing a solid foundation. You can drive a tune with drums like this, but with no other elements to reinforce them e.g strong supporting bassline, they just feel hastily slapped on top.

Perhaps go back to listen to some of your favourite pieces within the genres you’ve listed in your title, and try to isolate the various elements to see how they come together to make a cohesive whole.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Could you please tell me what you think of the tom fills?

ok, welcome to KVR, the worlds finest forum for
sharing music you create yourself.

Electronic music production can be split into three key skills or "actions."

Creation.

Arrangement.

Refinement.

In short, electronic music production is the creation, arrangement, and refining of sounds and musical ideas.

Let's say you're cooking dinner tonight.

The first thing you do is gather and prepare ingredients.

Maybe you chop some onions, prepare a stock, marinade some meat...

This is the creation phase of cooking your meal.

In the world of music production, it's creating and finding your core ideas. Your ingredients: melodies, drum sounds, vocal hooks/phrases, chord progressions, and so forth.

Once you've prepped your ingredients, you bring them together. You start cooking.

This is the arrangement phase. You're arranging your ingredients. Combining them. Consolidating them into something consumable.

It's the same with music production.

Melodies, beats, sounds, vocals... no one wants to listen to a bunch of random ideas splattered on a musical canvas.

They want to listen to something that has structure. Something that follows a sequence and makes sense.

So, during this phase, you'll take the ideas that you created and discovered in the creation phase, and arrange them into something consumable.

You take your ideas and sounds, then combine them to create a song.

You've almost finished cooking your meal.

A quick taste test reveals the need for more flavour, so you add some seasoning.

Finally, it's time to present your meal.

If your dish looks good on the plate, people (including yourself) will enjoy it more.

So you spend time on presentation. You use a nice white plate. You arrange it so it looks appealing. You want your hard work to show not just in how it tastes, but also how it looks.

This is the refinement or "presentation" phase.

Once you've arranged your musical ideas, sounds, and everything else into a song, you need to make it presentable.

You make refinements. You tweak sounds to make them fit better together. You make edits to ensure that the song flows well and that everything is in the right place. You adjust levels so nothing is too loud or too quiet.

And your song is finished.

hope this helps!

layzer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:07 amIt's the same with music production.
It's certainly one way of making music :tu:

killahpl wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:26 amCould you please tell me what you think of the tom fills?
Commenting on the tom fills would be pointless. Tom fills are the icing on a cake that you've yet to bake, and without any context are not possible to judge :shrug:

Keep us updated :tu:
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:43 am The drums just don't work, & the idea and execution is a stiff.

Learn music by playing some first.
yeah, theres no fluidity to the piece yet.the drums are far too rigid, no groove. no life in there.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:30 am
most people would agree its the best way
for a beginner. then one could go on to some
non standard, advanced so called "music"

layzer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:30 am
most people would agree its the best way
for a beginner. then one could go on to some
non standard, advanced so called "music"
It has nothing to do with non-standard, beginner or advanced. Knowing your list of ingredients (instruments) or parts as a starting point is wholly unnecessary, especially for a beginner. Playing around with sounds and allowing composition to develop organically i.e via jamming, is just as relevant, and likely more prevalent, as a mode of writing music.

The methodology and analogy you depicted is just as valid, but not moreso :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”