2nd generation i5 CPU - still sufficient?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This thread reminds me that i always wanted to do a experiment regarding how many tracks with VSTi's my shitty 4th generation i3 laptop can handle. :) Actually, i was quite surprised how far it can be pushed, at least when you use a USB audio interface, and the high performance energy plan setting in Windows 10.

I went from an i5 to an i7 2600 3.4gHz (chip swap out) 16GB RAM and I run Cubase 9/W10 with projects having between 70-130 tracks. A mix of audio, VSTi and I throw effects around like there is no limit.

By the end of a track I usually have a minimum of 30 softsynths running from all developers. 100's of eq's/Slate VCC but (usually no additonal stereo bus processing) I am still amazed at what the machine can achieve with its 9 y.o. CPU and have no plans to change it, typical load is 50-70pct ASIO at 12ms latency (RME 9632 PCI card which I believe has a big part to play in stability and low CPU usage.). It often drops 20pct or so if I put that up to even higher latency.

You can do a lot with a relatively old CPU on a well configured machine and an RME audio card not on the USB bus. I still shy away from USB audio interfaces personally speaking, it just seems ASIO performance is very hit and miss with USB. You might get lucky, or not.

PCI is old but stable, it just seems to suffer less from the vagaries of USB controllers/CPU overhead etc.

For myself a case of leaving well alone.

Sounds good! Do you use the old motherboard? Because @acYm implied that one needs an motherboard with NVM Express on board?

Synthman2000 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am I went from an i5 to an i7 2600 3.4gHz (chip swap out) 16GB RAM and I run Cubase 9/W10 with projects having between 70-130 tracks. A mix of audio, VSTi and I throw effects around like there is no limit.

By the end of a track I usually have a minimum of 30 softsynths running from all developers. 100's of eq's/Slate VCC but (usually no additonal stereo bus processing) I am still amazed at what the machine can achieve with its 9 y.o. CPU and have no plans to change it, typical load is 50-70pct ASIO at 12ms latency (RME 9632 PCI card which I believe has a big part to play in stability and low CPU usage.). It often drops 20pct or so if I put that up to even higher latency.

You can do a lot with a relatively old CPU on a well configured machine and an RME audio card not on the USB bus. I still shy away from USB audio interfaces personally speaking, it just seems ASIO performance is very hit and miss with USB. You might get lucky, or not.

PCI is old but stable, it just seems to suffer less from the vagaries of USB controllers/CPU overhead etc.

For myself a case of leaving well alone.

Personally yes I used my old mother board (which had the i5 on it originally), it needed a BIOS update to run Win10 which I performed..look into whether your motherboard supports W10 that is important Email or contact form the manufacturer), and check the motherboard specs to see what the fastest CPU it can take before buying one.

No idea what NVM express is.

Synthman2000 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:28 pm Personally yes I used my old mother board (which had the i5 on it originally), it needed a BIOS update to run Win10 which I performed..look into whether your motherboard supports W10 that is important Email or contact form the manufacturer), and check the motherboard specs to see what the fastest CPU it can take before buying one.

No idea what NVM express is.
I'd imagine it would run win 10, most machines from that era are still very capable (e,g, https://repcltd.co.uk/shop/product/leno ... 0-pro-sff/) and upgradable. It would help to have the model number of the PC - I'm just assuming it's an M91p, given it's 2nd gen.

NVM is just a new-ish interface for SSDs. Don't know why the poster mentioned it, it has nowt to do with this particular query, bearing in mind the OP doesn't wish to replace his existing PC. Any SATA SSD will run with the existing motherboard of course.

Like others have said, you could upgrade to a 3770k, which is the newest/best CPU for your chipset. I'm still rocking a 2500k, but I plan to upgrade everything this summer.

Yes, it's an M91p. There a different form factor versions of that series, I have the big tower though.

Here is the data sheet and here is the maintenance manual

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:36 pm Yes, it's an M91p. There a different form factor versions of that series, I have the big tower though.

Here is the data sheet and here is the maintenance manual
Ok then, fastest CPU would be i7 2600k for that board (given that the chipset is 67 - http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(ch ... press.html)

If you're not interested in overclocking (and I very much doubt that motherboard would support it...) then best bet price wise is still the 17 2600, which as has previously been mentioned is still a very capable quad core processor. with hyperthreading. Not too difficult to change these things out on business desktops (never done a Lenovo but have done a few HP ones - very similar) and it won't take you long if you follow the maintenance manual. Make sure you get some good thermal paste- worth paying extra! Good luck!

If you don't wanna spend much and also get good performance then replace i5 2400 with i7 3770. You can used one for pretty cheap.

sneer wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:40 pm If you don't wanna spend much and also get good performance then replace i5 2400 with i7 3770. You can used one for pretty cheap.
See above - the motherboard chipset wont take it.

Synthman2000 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am RME 9632 PCI card which I believe has a big part to play in stability and low CPU usage
You are absolutely right, thanks, I really overlooked that, glad I joined this thread, will definitely consider it next, saw great deals on second hand 9632/9652 for around 250 bucks.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”