sadà\exposadà - The Politics Of Suffering [Industrial] [new mix!]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fully sample based, all samples home-brewed from scratch. made with ableton live 10 suite, only the simpler (3 tracks) and some effects. and palindrome...

EDIT: i have listened to the comments, and i was forgetten to make one imported step; a simple step; to listen it on my neighbours monitors, most of the times the mix sounds right, this time: not. indeed the samples. new mix, in live, compressors.. some eq'ing. thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada/th ... -suffering
Last edited by WasteLand on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Feedback

Music - 7
Instruments - 7
Performance - 7.5
Mix - 6.5

Overall - 7

Comments: Low mids could use a little EQ. Not much. Just a little. Volume also a tad loud. Can barely hear the vocal samples. Could probably come up a bit. Mix is just a bit off here and there. Nothing that can't be fixed. Musically, kind of stagnant. Same thing over and over. More variation could help.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:25 pm My Feedback

Music - 7
Instruments - 7
Performance - 7.5
Mix - 6.5

Overall - 7

Comments: Low mids could use a little EQ. Not much. Just a little. Volume also a tad loud. Can barely hear the vocal samples. Could probably come up a bit. Mix is just a bit off here and there. Nothing that can't be fixed. Musically, kind of stagnant. Same thing over and over. More variation could help.
thank you for listening: the mix, the frequences and harmonics are determined by the samples, which are bit mangled.. because they are used not the way as you will here them in root note, raw... and stil there are already somewhat gritty.. the vocal samples, are more instrument like, most of the vocal lies in the mix in other tracks (not always..), and somtimes, a sample masks another sample, but that i like.

repitition, yes, that is my thing, some like it, some do not like it.

it is my first project in ableton. i make different music with it, then in cubase or maschine. i almost sold the stuff.. of ableton, but now i get the hang of it. and even upgraded to suite..

i normally mix in cubase. it was intended to go first through cubase, perhaps i will try it, and see if can make it better. (mixing in ableton, mwah, i am also used to cubase and have an old MCU, that makes mixing tactile, and not screen orientated. mixing with the push 2, i mix better with maschine mk3 controller... )

but i quite like it myself the way it sounds now.

(i took a pause to listen to the not-mastered version and the mastered version, mastering with t-racks, is that mastering? ow well.. not professional mastering.. i check my mixes on kef reference series 104/2 speakers, with a harman/kardon HK 680, and have two high-end DAC's. i didn't do that, until, just now...);

the vocal samples are quite present, the mix sounds balanced. i hear wat you mean with the mid's. but it doesn't bother me. i will certainly experiment with the mix, perhaps i will change something.

thank you! your comment broadens the way i do mixing. but sample-based tracks tend to be somewhat gritty, almost lo-fi, in my case. effects, make them more "modern", and that is kind of a collision..

perhaps an NI RC 24, with automation, for a long mid-tail. nice reverb to make strange tails. (other reverbs can do that as well, but th RC24 and RC 48, are my favorites, for that. i have used the RC 24 in VM for a lang low tail, that changes the sound.) on some of the samples, on some of the notes. to widen things.

p.s. even on my laptop, with bad speakers, it sounds balanced, which isn't normal for how i mix.... strange.

EDIT: volume a tad loud? mmmh, it is around the normal pain level... (loudness war bad joke.) but i think i know what you mean, it are again the samples. i mix on two bns ellessy 2 speakers, to column speakers, not near-field, but i tested other monitors, these two, i already had, are for mixing quite good, it can be better... it is harsh, that i agree to.

EDIT: the vocal samples, i already mentioned it, one is reversed for example, they aren't meant to be "understood". it were vocal samples for another track, that i recycled..

EDIT 2: i hear now that one sample get lost in the mix, it does a strange layer, but there is collision, or simply, it is set to low. the samples, or warped or not-warped, the not-warped ones sound completely different depending on the pitch. the rythmic or "drum" sound isn't a drum sound, and a drum sound, is the one that is lost, but it is edited, so it doesn't sound as drums, but as growls...
pfff, i knew, i had to wait a day...

Interesting. The vocal sounds could be louder, but anyways. Leaves me somewhat disorientated..

Greetings
HM

Interesting, indeed.

Two things have been an annoyance for me. There are two notes colliding as if you played it live and your finger slipped accross two keys. It comes again and again and it doesn't work for me. The other thing is that it sounds as if it was played un a bathroom. Something with the reverb, the EQ and the narrowness of the stereo-field.

That said, I did enjoy quite a bit listening to this home samples performance.

htcnext2 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:24 am Interesting. The vocal sounds could be louder, but anyways. Leaves me somewhat disorientated..

Greetings
HM
disorientated! i like... the vocal sounds, not everyone does have the feeling that must louder, and i listened now on few more sources, the vocal sounds are pretty present. somewhat confused, i, you disorientated. ay! perhaps the people who know my work, react differently, or is it a matter of taste. i am lookin in to it. but thank you for listening!
Wopelka wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:12 pm Interesting, indeed.

Two things have been an annoyance for me. There are two notes colliding as if you played it live and your finger slipped accross two keys. It comes again and again and it doesn't work for me. The other thing is that it sounds as if it was played un a bathroom. Something with the reverb, the EQ and the narrowness of the stereo-field.

That said, I did enjoy quite a bit listening to this home samples performance.
the first annoyance, is it the rythmic track? i am not a finger-drummer, but if i remember correctly is played live, but edited extensivily. i do not see in the midi editor colliding notes, but i am still getting used to live, so perhaps i do not see it. the rythmic loop, is a bit limping, but that i like. perhaps that is what you mean.
the sound, yes, it are the samples. i didn't use an eq. a reverb, on the drumloop, and on the sample that mimics a guitar (not the intention, and it is a "slice" of a heavy drum..) has the echo on it.

and how is it called, i used the drum buss, to make the lower end of the rythmic track. it eats energy from the higher frequencies. (known problem.) but i decided that isn't problematic... because all the sounds were well layered, for my ears...

this track is certainly made in a strange way, as i do with all my sample-based tracks, and my sample base tracks, and my own drum kits have all the same "problem", the bathroom feel. it is the way i edit them... while when i am using synths, the full spectrum is filled, they are quite present....

i like the gritty sound of the samples, the harshness. but still, food for fought. maybe i will try mixing with cubase (used to, already mentioned i think), and have a MCU, i am used to faders.. and how to mix in cubase. o well.

i am glad that you enjoyed it on some level. and thanks for listening, and your feedback.

as stated in the edited opening post, the reactions i got, i have implemented. a new mix, it makes the track also more dynamical. because all the samples are more musical present. that was also the original idea. listening to much, and then add a track and some effects, leads to not hearing the problems anymore. i had to let to sink it in.

Return to “Music Cafe”